Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

It's back!!!! AIRBAG OFF light in 2006 S40

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's back!!!! AIRBAG OFF light in 2006 S40

I cannot believe I am posting this again. A month after replacing the air bag sensor spring in the passenger seat of my 06' S40, the problem has once again reared its ugly head. Mind you, the last month has not been without its issues. The car is scheduled to go in Friday for its second service, and along with that I am going to have the driver seat looked at due to it making a cracking sound whenever I turn the corner. My S40 could not just wait for friday though, for low and behold in the last few days since I made the appointment other things have cropped up. The liner on the inside of the deck lid has come loose, several of the clips are broken and have fallen out. The CD changer occasionally has started to hunt and peck for tracks regardless of the CD inserted. Then, to top it off, I got a service campaign notice today stating there were software upgrades that need to be made to my car "To enhance the functions of the security system and improve electrical performance, and make the climate control function faster and with less noise". Along with the software upgrade they will be lubricating the climate control doors... which I assume means a lot of dash dissasembly. I'm pretty baked. Worrisome of all is the dreaded "PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF" light has started its old game once again, staying on with a belted adult passenger in the seat. So far it is only 5-10 minutes, but it always gets worse. This car is such a dissapoinment. I don't know what to do. I love the way it looks (on the outside at least), and it drives great. However, at 10 months old... the car has become a complete clunker. I have no confidence that an automobile with this many issues (especailly parts falling off) will improve with age or time. I truely believe I got a lemon... and that most S40's are not this trouble prone. Mine was manufactured in January 2006, sold new to me in July 06'. Anybody else in that build time period? Guess it's time to take a loss, and trade her in. :-(
Bumed in Virginia Beach
Spence

Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Default RE: It's back!!!! AIRBAG OFF light in 2006 S40

Sorry to read of your troubles with your S40 . I have an '06 S40 manufactured in March that I bought in August and have not had any problems with it. I have a friend whoowns the same car with no issues. You could very well have a lemon in your hands. I went throughlemon law arbitration about 6 years ago with another vehicle and was quite surprised to see how consumer friendly the process is. As long as you have documentation of having the dealer service the SAME problem(s) at least 3x with no resolution, you can initiate the complaint. I got my down payment back plus allloan payments made whileI owned the faulty car (almost 1 year)and the dealer had to take the car back. The whole thing tookabout 3 months from initiating the complaint to going infor the arbitration meeting. You do not need a lawyer,Ifound the mediator to be consumer biased which helped. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM

Hello all,I am a new member and actually came out looking for a cure to same problem. I have a 2005 S40 T5 AWD and that light has been on for the last 60000 miles. Been to the dealer 3x they just reset and send me on my way. it comes on within about a week. However with that being said, I just turned 130,000 miles on this car. yes I drive lots. I have never been to the dealer for anything except that and power trunk opener, I am about to add the second replacement. Anybody else have an issue with these. Overall great little car.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 PM

You say you have had your car into the dealership before for the passenger airbag off? Is it under warranty?
Chances are there is a problem with the weight sensor in the passenger seat. The recall does not lubricate any climate doors. It upgrades the systems computer and lubricates electrical connectors with water proof and corrosion proof grease to help seal the connector.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 PM

do you put heavy objects onto the seat when no one else is present??? heavy bags etc??? the sensors are designed to read a human/ and not always any other objects in the seat.