Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Key help NOT REMOTE 2000 s40

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key help NOT REMOTE 2000 s40

My car has 140k mileage. I am the original owner. Front end just started popping on bumps. That is next issue to deal with. I have not had the keyless remote in several years. Figured one day I would get around to figuring a way around the dealer wanting me to pay 350. Well my regular key the one that starts my car decided to break apart on me. The plastic and the metal were literally apart. Had to kind of rig with some epoxy and thin plastic a temporary solution because this is my only key. So my question is 2 fold. I know I can buy a blank on ebay cheaply. It states that I will have to buy chip from dealer and have them put in the blank... Is is possible to get the chip out of my old key? I did not examine the parts that well when I rigged the key together but i know it needed the plastic because when it first happened I was at work and had to hold the plastic piece next to the key to get it to start. How hard would it be to get put the chip in new key blank. dealer wants 240 to cut new key i get from them and program it. second ? is there a way around getting dealer to program keyless yet and is this a good time to just have both made at dealer.. Afraid to ask them, was shocked that the key is only 70 cheaper than the remote entry...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You don't "buy a chip at the dealer and have them install it in the key". I wouldn't buy from that place. The key has a transponder in it that needs to be programmed by the dealer. No way around programming. Same for the remote. If you do both at once, you save labor. Should be one hour of labor to do a key, plus the software cost. Separately, it's an hour to program the remote, plus software cost. Together would be one hour labor plus both software costs.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

are you talking about the Key or the fob itself? You can buy replacements for the plastic shell for the fob. FCP sells the plastic shell for $10 as well as a Volvo OEM fob (as noted without programming which needs the dealer assist). Tascaparts.com is a dealer with the best online Volvo factory parts prices if you want to check them out as well.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I was talking about the FOB.. Literally I have to hold the plastic together when I start or it wont turn over.. Thanks. still going to have to get a second key made...