Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Letting Car Warm Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Letting Car Warm Up

I have a 2000 Volvo S40. Is the engine new enough that I just turn on the car and drive without having to wait it to warm up?

Also the "check engine" light goes on and off, I know it'd be recommended to get it checked out, but it seems fine too me.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need to "warm up" your enigine like in the old days unless you have a turbo on your car or you live somewhere where it gets below freezing outside then it is always good to let your car warm up so the oil has time to heat up and lubricate crucial engine parts. Also with a turbo car it is always good to let car warm up as well as cool down meaning you do not just turn it off right away after done with driving you wait a minute or 2 and then turn off. As for your check engine light, these usually go off because of a bad O2 sensor or a bad MAF sensor. If car is running just fine and pases emmissions I would not worry about it. However, your car should be OBD2 meaning you could go to a Schucks/O'Reillys or any major parts store and borrow there OBD2 computer and test your system yourself for free. This will tell you exactly what is going on with your car. Good luck and hope this helps...

Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 AM

I think I have turbo in this car.

1.9L L4 PFI DOHC 16V

Does that mean I have turbo?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

no just means you have a 1.9 liter dual overhead cam inline 4 cylinder 16 valve motor with port fuel injection(.This system, variously called direct injection or "PFI" (Port Fuel Injection), "SEFI" (Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection) uses a single injector per cylinder, and traditionally injects fuel immediately upstream of the intake valves....it will say TURBO if you have a turbo...I think the S40 turbo is a 2.0 liter if I'm not mistaking. But not 100% positive I am an old school guy and ONLY drive the rear whheel drive Volvo's(the best Volvo's in my opinion) with the simple B230F or I also run the B21FT (turbo)motor. B230F is 2.3 liter 8 valve single overhead cam Bosch EFI(electric fuel injection) LH(Luft or "Air" and hotwire) Jetronic multiport fuel injection
Multi-point fuel injection injects fuel into the intake port just upstream of the cylinder's intake valve, rather than at a central point within an intake manifold. MPFI (or just MPI) systems can be sequential, in which injection is timed to coincide with each cylinder's intake stroke; batched, in which fuel is injected to the cylinders in groups, without precise synchronization to any particular cylinder's intake stroke; or simultaneous, in which fuel is injected at the same time to all the cylinders. The intake is only slightly wet, and typical fuel pressure runs between 40-60 psi.
Many modern EFI systems utilize sequential MPFI; however, in newer gasoline engines, direct injection systems are beginning to replace sequential ones.. It is also a non interference motor(means if timing belt breaks motor will not be ruined B21FT is a 2.1 liter with a turbo single overhead cam 8 valve with Bosch CIS(continuous injection system injection. Also,a non interference motor. All front wheel drive Volvo's I.e. 850,S40,V40,S70,V70,S60,S80 etc all have interference motors. This means if your timing belt breaks the top of your enging is TOAST! Moral of the story, DO NOT wait to do a timing belt, do it when the service interval says or even a bit early. It is very expensive but it is something you have to do and CANNOT wait on.Also, Volvo had BIG problems with the new electronic throttle so I would have yours checked before it's too late and your car goes into "limp mode" because you may still be covered under the 10 year warranty extendion that Volvo honors on that part.($1000+ to replace if bad) They should have just kept it simple and continued to use the manual throttle cable....nope had to make things more complicated...enjoy your car just be prepared to have some hefty repair bills...good piece of advice, start putting $$ aside now.

Last edited by volvoguy2323; 07-03-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
no just means you have a 1.9 liter dual overhead cam inline 4 cylinder 16 valve motor with port fuel injection(.This system, variously called direct injection or "PFI" (Port Fuel Injection), "SEFI" (Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection) uses a single injector per cylinder, and traditionally injects fuel immediately upstream of the intake valves....it will say TURBO if you have a turbo...I think the S40 turbo is a 2.0 liter if I'm not mistaking. But not 100% positive I am an old school guy and ONLY drive the rear whheel drive Volvo's(the best Volvo's in my opinion) with the simple B230F or I also run the B21FT (turbo)motor. B230F is 2.3 liter 8 valve single overhead cam Bosch EFI(electric fuel injection) LH(Luft or "Air" and hotwire) Jetronic multiport fuel injection
Multi-point fuel injection injects fuel into the intake port just upstream of the cylinder's intake valve, rather than at a central point within an intake manifold. MPFI (or just MPI) systems can be sequential, in which injection is timed to coincide with each cylinder's intake stroke; batched, in which fuel is injected to the cylinders in groups, without precise synchronization to any particular cylinder's intake stroke; or simultaneous, in which fuel is injected at the same time to all the cylinders. The intake is only slightly wet, and typical fuel pressure runs between 40-60 psi.
Many modern EFI systems utilize sequential MPFI; however, in newer gasoline engines, direct injection systems are beginning to replace sequential ones.. It is also a non interference motor(means if timing belt breaks motor will not be ruined B21FT is a 2.1 liter with a turbo single overhead cam 8 valve with Bosch CIS(continuous injection system injection. Also,a non interference motor. All front wheel drive Volvo's I.e. 850,S40,V40,S70,V70,S60,S80 etc all have interference motors. This means if your timing belt breaks the top of your enging is TOAST! Moral of the story, DO NOT wait to do a timing belt, do it when the service interval says or even a bit early. It is very expensive but it is something you have to do and CANNOT wait on.Also, Volvo had BIG problems with the new electronic throttle so I would have yours checked before it's too late and your car goes into "limp mode" because you may still be covered under the 10 year warranty extendion that Volvo honors on that part.($1000+ to replace if bad) They should have just kept it simple and continued to use the manual throttle cable....nope had to make things more complicated...enjoy your car just be prepared to have some hefty repair bills...good piece of advice, start putting $$ aside now.
Hmm have to check out my timing belt, highly doubt it's been replaced. You think this could be causing problems already? I have a problem when the car is idle in park mode.

When I drive the car it's fine. But after I stop and put it in park. The sitting idle becomes a problem. The RPM begins to go over 1 and then back down to like 0.5 then back to 1.

It does this several times. Revs up and down. Anyone know what the problem could be? Replaced some bad hose lines, a new battery, spark plugs. But still doing this.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

No a worn timimg belt would not cause a poor idle or a check engine light to come on. Sounds like a vacuum leak or a bad MAF sensor...maybe a bad O2 sensor but not likely. You said check engine light is on correct? Probably a bad MAF sensor if I had to guess. But like I said you have gotten yourself a "new" technology car and most of the testing takes computer software that only the dealer or a Volvo shop who bought from volvo for $25K per year has. I still think you can go to your major auto parts store near you like an O'Reillys/Schucks and borrow their OBD2 scanner. OBD2 systems are usually very accurate and will pinpoint your problem. Also unless you have record of when that timing belt was done go do it or at least have it inspected. also, if you do the timing belt you might as well do the water pump too...

Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
No a worn timimg belt would not cause a poor idle or a check engine light to come on. Sounds like a vacuum leak or a bad MAF sensor...maybe a bad O2 sensor but not likely. You said check engine light is on correct? Probably a bad MAF sensor if I had to guess. But like I said you have gotten yourself a "new" technology car and most of the testing takes computer software that only the dealer or a Volvo shop who bought from volvo for $25K per year has. I still think you can go to your major auto parts store near you like an O'Reillys/Schucks and borrow their OBD2 scanner. OBD2 systems are usually very accurate and will pinpoint your problem. Also unless you have record of when that timing belt was done go do it or at least have it inspected. also, if you do the timing belt you might as well do the water pump too...
Hmm, well one of my friends told me that too (vacuum leak) and we replaced some tubes (or whatever they're called) near the engine and it seemed to help it, guess gotta replace the MAF sensor.

That seems to be the only problem with the car that I've noticed. Bought it for $2,300 used (132,000 miles). Carfax only reported one owner and no accidents, but an inconsistent odometer. So far, I've changed the oil, bought a new battery and replaced the spark plugs. And some tubes for the vacuum leak. Good deal you think?

Also, are you sure it's not a turbo? This is what my engine looks like (not this new though)

Thanks for the quick responses by the way.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 AM

The turbo in on the back of the engine, on the other side from where you have it circled....sorry, couldn't find a good pic for you. On the right side, rear of your car, should be '1.9t' in chrome plastic or metal lettering.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Ok so it is a turbo?? or not?? yeah if it says 1.9t then it is a turbo and you should let it "warm up" and "cool down" Sorry but I am not affluent on the front wheel drive Volvo's I am an old school rear wheel drive guy

Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this car is AMERICAN, it is TURBO!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Couldn't find the 1.9T in the back of the engine, couldn't really read back there.

Here's full info, if it says 1.9L, it shouldn't be right?

2000 VOLVO S40
VIN: YV1VS2555YF483486
SEDAN 4 DR
1.9L L4 PFI DOHC 16V
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE