Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Low Beam Head lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Low Beam Head lights not working

I just a bought a 2000 S40, 1.9T, auto, with 115k, in Delaware. Really like the car but it has a couple of problems. Only one I got to look at today was the head lights, it is like 20 degress today and did not want to freeze myself to death.

Neighter low beams work, they did work yestarday and then just before dark they both went out, I think I heard something like a relay go off just before I noticed it.

Today, I replaced one of the bulbs hoping that was the issue, no joy. I checked all the fuses (with tester) in the fuse block under the hood, they are all good.

High beams work and all the marker lights work. One thing I noticed is that the lights (the marker lights do but not the head lights) do not come on when I lock the car and set the alarm. Also, if i hit the panic button the same thing happens, marker are good and work but no head lights.

I searched the forums for this and the only thing I found so far is that there was a recall on the light switch, no sure if this car has been serviced for this recall, but the carfax does not show it being needed. I will call the dealership tomorrow to find out, there closed today.

Is there anything else I can check? Anyone know where and how much a the light switch is?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Ok, I got a switch from ebay from a junkyard, replaced and no joy still not working.

Are there any relays in the system? Night time sensors? Both lights are out so I find it hard to believe I blew 2 harnesses? Anyone have any wiring diagrams.

How do I get a service manual, printed or pdf, I do not really care.

Please help, I know this will cost a bundle at the dealership.

Is anyone out there?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Ok, well I finally figured it out, know I just need to fix it.

It is the CEM(Central Electronic Module), I hit it a few times and moved some wires around and the lights came on.

I found 1 bad wire (so that could be it) or it could be the relay inside the CEM, which can be replaced. I found a couple of pic online I am attaching, but will take my own when I fix it.

A CEM from Volvo is $507, plus VOLVO has to program it. If you buy a used one you might still need to get it programmed depending on the options you have and the options the car it came out of have, so replacing the relay is good if you know how to do it.

Here are the pics

Attached Thumbnails Low Beam Head lights not working-volvocemconnectors.jpg   Low Beam Head lights not working-volvocempcbrelays.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

The saga continues.

I pull out the CEM this weekend, also looked at the bad wires, took some pictures (not great pic my camera was acting weird).

First about the CEM. You can see in the pictures that both (left and right) are shot, you can the bow on the top from were it overhead and bent the plastic, so I know these are bad. Still trying to source the relay, all I have found so far are companies that sell them wholesale, waiting on few emails to see if they can just send me couple. I'll update more after I get the parts.

Now about the wiring. I am not positive because I do not have the wiring diagrams but I think one of the previous owners blew the first relay and wired (jumped) that light to the other so they did not have to replace the whole CEM. That seems to have overloaded the second relay and wiring, burnt the patched wiring pretty good. I repaired this wiring for now and left it wired as i found until I can confirm that this is the case.

Anyone have any wiring diagrams? Know where I can buy them? I have pictures of the connector and the 2 wires that were jumped together.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Low Beam Head lights not working-img_4111.jpg   Low Beam Head lights not working-img_4112.jpg   Low Beam Head lights not working-img_4113.jpg   Low Beam Head lights not working-img_4118.jpg   Low Beam Head lights not working-img_4120.jpg  

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Couple of more pics

Attached Thumbnails Low Beam Head lights not working-img_4121.jpg   Low Beam Head lights not working-img_4122.jpg  
Old 01-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Along with my heat problem, I also finally fixed my headlight problem. I was unable to source the relays I needed so I went to the junk yard and got a used CEM, $40 bucks and it fixed the issue. So besides some dash lights that I need to replace and a passanger headlight assemlby that needs to be repaired the car is good to go.

The following users liked this post:
Mchale1 (07-21-2022)
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job hunting down the problem, with an inexpensive solution.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job. Do you still need wiring diagrams? I have a hardcopy of the wiring diagrams from my '02 S40. The only issue may be that I believe your car is a Phase I and the '02 is a Phase II. The ECU / wiring may be different.
Stan

Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Yes, I would love to get some diagrams, I also want to buy a service manual but no one seems to have it.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Same Issue

Good find! I am having the same issue with my volvo (105k miles). Passenger side low beam doesn't work. When I tap the CEM the low beam comes back on. I will probably head to the salvage yard this weekend.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Did the junk yard CEM need to be programmed? I have the complete VADIS manual. Send me a pm if you still need the wiring diagram or any other section .
Lou

Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Thumbs up Thank you

My right low beam has the same issue. Tapped the CEM and it came back on. I was under the impression I had a blown bulb but then one day it came back on before I got around to getting a new buld. I figured I had a short in the harness because my highbeams worked.

Thank you posting this. Now I just need to find a new CEM or atleast the relay. May call IPD to see if they can get relay if not then its off to the dealership. After replacing the relay will I need the CEM reprogramed? I remember that I had get the CEM programmed to enable the fog lights.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM

so I have a question when you replaced the bulb and checked the fuse, was there power to the fuse because my daughters car only has the passanger side low beem, not the drivers side, and both high beems work. I changed the bulb, still no work, checked the fuse all good with power running to them. Just wondering if it is a short between the fuse and the light or it could be the cem?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Arrow 02 volvo s40

02 volvo s40 w driver headlight out. both highbeams work. use to be able to just hit the dash below the steering wheel and it'd kick on. makes sense that it would be the cem. replaced bulb and did not solve problem, checked fuses then used the power reader and found it was grounded, but no power going to the bulb.
going to go look for the cem, but do not know were it is!? i read a few fourms and some people say it is back inside the glove compartment? does anybody know if this is true for the 2002?
thanks for all of your guyses fourms! been very helpful in trying to figure this problem out.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Default wherenis ///////cem

so where is thr /CEM located in the car.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM

behind the panel under the steering column

Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM

ok so i locted the CEM wheres do i find one on line and or how do i get the relays off the board thaks again for all the help and info

Last edited by bonesbaker1981; 04-04-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: did read complete thread
Old 01-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Can the relays be replaced or do you have to swap the whole CEM?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One member here swapped them. Soldered in new ones. Check this thread:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...nt-work-58301/

Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 PM

Hi tsc1015,

I'm having similar issues on my 1999 S80.
How hard will it be to replace the CEM on this 1999 Volvo S80? The low beam headlight won't come on (the high beam is ok) and I've (interchangeably) swapped the last relay as well as the low beam shut all to no avail. I've however noticed that one of the slots on the board (where the low beam shunt plugs into the board) is fried or has burn mark. I'm now suspecting that this could be the culprit.

Went to neighborhood mechanic and he said that acquiring a CEM (used or new) may require re-programing and I was wondering if you had to re-program yours?

Help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Low Beam Head lights not working