Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM

Angry Low Beam Head lights not working

I just a bought a 2000 S40, 1.9T, auto, with 115k, in Delaware. Really like the car but it has a couple of problems. Only one I got to look at today was the head lights, it is like 20 degress today and did not want to freeze myself to death.

Neighter low beams work, they did work yestarday and then just before dark they both went out, I think I heard something like a relay go off just before I noticed it.

Today, I replaced one of the bulbs hoping that was the issue, no joy. I checked all the fuses (with tester) in the fuse block under the hood, they are all good.

High beams work and all the marker lights work. One thing I noticed is that the lights (the marker lights do but not the head lights) do not come on when I lock the car and set the alarm. Also, if i hit the panic button the same thing happens, marker are good and work but no head lights.

I searched the forums for this and the only thing I found so far is that there was a recall on the light switch, no sure if this car has been serviced for this recall, but the carfax does not show it being needed. I will call the dealership tomorrow to find out, there closed today.

Is there anything else I can check? Anyone know where and how much a the light switch is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Ok, I got a switch from ebay from a junkyard, replaced and no joy still not working.

Are there any relays in the system? Night time sensors? Both lights are out so I find it hard to believe I blew 2 harnesses? Anyone have any wiring diagrams.

How do I get a service manual, printed or pdf, I do not really care.

Please help, I know this will cost a bundle at the dealership.

Is anyone out there?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Ok, well I finally figured it out, know I just need to fix it.

It is the CEM(Central Electronic Module), I hit it a few times and moved some wires around and the lights came on.

I found 1 bad wire (so that could be it) or it could be the relay inside the CEM, which can be replaced. I found a couple of pic online I am attaching, but will take my own when I fix it.

A CEM from Volvo is $507, plus VOLVO has to program it. If you buy a used one you might still need to get it programmed depending on the options you have and the options the car it came out of have, so replacing the relay is good if you know how to do it.

Here are the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VolvoCEMConnectors.jpg (36.3 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg VolvoCEMPCBRelays.jpg (95.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

The saga continues.

I pull out the CEM this weekend, also looked at the bad wires, took some pictures (not great pic my camera was acting weird).

First about the CEM. You can see in the pictures that both (left and right) are shot, you can the bow on the top from were it overhead and bent the plastic, so I know these are bad. Still trying to source the relay, all I have found so far are companies that sell them wholesale, waiting on few emails to see if they can just send me couple. I'll update more after I get the parts.

Now about the wiring. I am not positive because I do not have the wiring diagrams but I think one of the previous owners blew the first relay and wired (jumped) that light to the other so they did not have to replace the whole CEM. That seems to have overloaded the second relay and wiring, burnt the patched wiring pretty good. I repaired this wiring for now and left it wired as i found until I can confirm that this is the case.

Anyone have any wiring diagrams? Know where I can buy them? I have pictures of the connector and the 2 wires that were jumped together.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_4111.jpg (59.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Img_4112.jpg (61.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Img_4113.jpg (54.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Img_4118.jpg (26.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Img_4120.jpg (28.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Couple of more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_4121.jpg (28.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Img_4122.jpg (50.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 01-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Along with my heat problem, I also finally fixed my headlight problem. I was unable to source the relays I needed so I went to the junk yard and got a used CEM, $40 bucks and it fixed the issue. So besides some dash lights that I need to replace and a passanger headlight assemlby that needs to be repaired the car is good to go.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Nice job hunting down the problem, with an inexpensive solution.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Nice job. Do you still need wiring diagrams? I have a hardcopy of the wiring diagrams from my '02 S40. The only issue may be that I believe your car is a Phase I and the '02 is a Phase II. The ECU / wiring may be different.
Stan

2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P.
1998 V70 NA - Sold

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Yes, I would love to get some diagrams, I also want to buy a service manual but no one seems to have it.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Thumbs up Same Issue

Good find! I am having the same issue with my volvo (105k miles). Passenger side low beam doesn't work. When I tap the CEM the low beam comes back on. I will probably head to the salvage yard this weekend.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Tags
940, beam, beams, harness, headlights, lamp, low, lowbeam, photos, replace, s60, s90, v70, volvo, wiring, working