Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Is My 2002 S40 DEAD?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My 2002 S40 DEAD?

Was driving the car and the wife heard a chattering noise, the car started slowing down and smoke started coming out from under the hood. I stopped immediately, I put a quart of oil in it while it was running and the engine temp went back to normal and then it died. I tried to start it and the started just made a spinning sound. I tried it the next day, starter still spinning. I don't think that the starter gear is engaging the fly wheel Also the timing belt is still on the engine and the oil reads full. Is the engine burned up? I also put a total of 3 quarts in it, so that might be why it reads full.

Last edited by Robert Carter; 10-27-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:02 PM

Should I try to put a socket on the crank shaft bolt and see if I can rotate the engine? what sizes socket fits that bolt?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you fix the leaking VVT pulley?

Have you had the timing belt system replaced since you bought the car in June with 208,000 miles?

Insufficient info in your post but if pressed I would say.......DEAD!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by migbro
Did you fix the leaking VVT pulley?

Have you had the timing belt system replaced since you bought the car in June with 208,000 miles?

Insufficient info in your post but if pressed I would say.......DEAD!!!!!!
the VVT pulley was taken care of. I put some Slick 50 in the car 2 days before it blew up. The car was smoking a little bit , that's why I put the Slick 50 in. Could that have something to do with it? The car was running good and the day it blew up it was running a little rough. The lifters was chattering pretty bad when I opened the hood.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM

Slick 50? The 1980s called, they want their snake oil back.

Last edited by migbro; 10-27-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the compression. Whenever I've had an engine spin very fast when cranking it has always been because of no compression.

If you cannot check the compression easily then check the timing to see if the marks line up.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hudini
Check the compression. Whenever I've had an engine spin very fast when cranking it has always been because of no compression.

If you cannot check the compression easily then check the timing to see if the marks line up.
I*don't think the engine is spinning, it sounds like the starter by itself.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Carter
I*don't think the engine is spinning, it sounds like the starter by itself.
If that were true, the starter would have malfunctioned at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME as your engine died for another reason. Not very likely unless the engine is seized and the ring gear now has broken teeth.

Your descriptions are confused and confusing but if I had to make a bet it would be this.

Car slowing down = valve timing slipping.

Chattering noise = valves saying hello to pistons.

Starter spins and timing belt still on engine = no compression OR timing belt teeth stripped at crank pulley.

The cardinal rule of ancient used cars is REPLACE THE ENTIRE TIMING BELT SYSTEM IMMEDIATELY unless you can confirm with irrefutable documentation that the work has been recently performed.

Running engine oil 3 quarts low isn't the most brilliant idea either.

Anyway, take the upper timing belt cover off, put a 30mm socket on the crank pulley bolt and see if the crank will rotate (clockwise). If it will, check if the cam pulleys are moving with the crankshaft.

Last edited by migbro; 10-28-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:32 PM

If that were true, the starter would have malfunctioned at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME as your engine died for another reason. Not very likely unless the engine is seized and the ring gear now has broken teeth.

Your descriptions are confused and confusing but if I had to make a bet it would be this.

Car slowing down = valve timing slipping.

Chattering noise = valves saying hello to pistons.

Starter spins and timing belt still on engine = no compression OR timing belt teeth stripped at crank pulley.

The cardinal rule of ancient used cars is REPLACE THE ENTIRE TIMING BELT SYSTEM IMMEDIATELY unless you can confirm with irrefutable documentation that the work has been recently performed.

Running engine oil 3 quarts low isn't the most brilliant idea either.

Anyway, take the upper timing belt cover off, put a 30mm socket on the crank pulley bolt and see if the crank will rotate (clockwise). If it will, check if the cam pulleys are moving with the crankshaft.
The oil level was checked 3 days before and read full. The starter sound was immediate when trying to start it after it stopped running. I expected to see a hole in the side of the motor and a pool of oil on the ground, but I saw neither. I am going to do as you said and see what happens.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:08 PM

The oil level was checked 3 days before and read full. The starter sound was immediate when trying to start it after it stopped running. I expected to see a hole in the side of the motor and a pool of oil on the ground, but I saw neither. I am going to do as you said and see what happens.
Good luck. I will keep my fingers crossed that my pessimism was unfounded.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Good luck. I will keep my fingers crossed that my pessimism was unfounded.
I have no doubt that you're assessment is correct, I'm just one of those guys that likes to get all of the info he can.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM

The timing belt is still on and when cranked, the top gears turn. Before it broke down, we had just filled the tank with gas. I tried to siphon the gas out and learned about the Volvo ant-siphon tank. That's $50 down the drain.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

The timing belt is still on and when cranked, the top gears turn. Before it broke down, we had just filled the tank with gas. I tried to siphon the gas out and learned about the Volvo ant-siphon tank. That's $50 down the drain.
You might be able to pull the fuel line off of the fuel filter and drain the tank from there. Might be slow though... But maybe turn the key on and let the pump start up? I'd try it myself, $50 is $50!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 PM

My timing belt was on and the gears turned. However, the timing marks were not lined up because the timing belt slipped. This bent 8 exhaust valves. When cranked the engine spun really fast because there was no compression. Check the timing marks or check the compression.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Livens
You might be able to pull the fuel line off of the fuel filter and drain the tank from there. Might be slow though... But maybe turn the key on and let the pump start up? I'd try it myself, $50 is $50!
As we say in Korntucky, "Zackley" $50 is a lot of money.

Another Question:

Is there anything of
value I could sell off of this s40 before I send it to the graveyard in the sky?

Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hudini
My timing belt was on and the gears turned. However, the timing marks were not lined up because the timing belt slipped. This bent 8 exhaust valves. When cranked the engine spun really fast because there was no compression. Check the timing marks or check the compression.
Is it worth fixing?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Depends on your situation. I did the work myself for about $650 in parts. I have the tools and the space. And the car was given to a 16 year old as her first car. If someone else were to do the work it's tremendously expensive. In that case, I would have junked it with my local pull-a-part and bought a newer car for my daughter.