Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Newbie here with a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Livens
No problem, just Private Message me your address.

This may be an issue... I would send you the whole gear, but due to the weight it might be pricey to ship. With the entire gear you would also have the inside diameter of the hole that the plunger goes in. Tell you what, USPS has a small flat rate box that ships for $5.80... if the gear will fit in one of those (the box is 1 5/8" tall, so it should) I'll just send you the whole thing. And no need to return anything to me, I have no need for it, and I was going to pitch it the next time I cleaned off my work bench anyway
I use the small fixed rate Priority Mail box all the time for my business. Let me know if the gear fits in the box (I don't think it will but you never know) and I'll email a prepaid shipping label for you to attach to the box. If it doesn't fit in the box, put it in a larger box, post up the weight and I'll email you a prepaid UPS label for you to drop off at the UPS store.

Sending you a PM with my email address.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys , I'm the one with the problem here.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Carter
Yes, we know. migbro is just trying to figure out a replacement o-ring for the vVT gear leaks, so people can cheaply fix them instead of expensively replacing them.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:01 AM

This may help you if you can wait a few days for the correct o-ring size.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Yes, we know. migbro is just trying to figure out a replacement o-ring for the vVT gear leaks, so people can cheaply fix them instead of expensively replacing them.
O, Sorry my friend. I tend to speak before I think.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by migbro
This may help you if you can wait a few days for the correct o-ring size.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 PM

OK folks, I received Livens' dead VVT pulley this morning. I've made the measurements, crunched the numbers and here's the info.

The o-ring on the small piston is a metric 8.5 mm x 2 mm. That's 8.5 mm ID and 2 mm width (diameter of the cross-section).

I was able to determine the correct o-ring size by (1) measuring the OD of the piston groove (where the o-ring sits) and, (2) calculating the cross-sectional area of the old, compressed o-ring and matching it to the cross-sectional area of the metric 2 mm o-ring.

Piston groove OD = 8.96 mm, which gives a 5.4% stretch to the 8.5 mm o-ring when installed, more or less exactly what it should be.

Calculated cross-sectional area of the old, compressed o-ring was 3.153 sq. mm, compared to 3.142 sq. mm for the new o-ring.

The original o-ring was very likely Buna-N and failed in a very typical way for a nitrile o-ring, hardening and becoming brittle as a result of exposure to high temperatures and possibly also to sulphur compounds in the engine oil. The old o-ring came off the piston in five pieces.

I suggest a Viton o-ring as a replacement. You can buy the correct size from oringsUSA for $2.00 plus shipping.

If I were doing this repair I would also lightly polish the VVT pulley bore (that the piston installs in) to remove varnish with
a Dremel buffing tool a Dremel buffing tool

One last thing. Those weird slotted bolt heads on the VVT pulley - a 11/32" 6 point socket fits them quite well.

Last edited by migbro; 07-15-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM

OK folks, I received Livens' dead VVT pulley this morning. I've made the measurements, crunched the numbers and here's the info.

The o-ring on the small piston is a metric 8.5 mm x 2 mm. That's 8.5 mm ID and 2 mm width (diameter of the cross-section).

I was able to determine the correct o-ring size by (1) measuring the OD of the piston groove (where the o-ring sits) and, (2) calculating the cross-sectional area of the old, compressed o-ring and matching it to the cross-sectional area of the metric 2 mm o-ring.

Piston groove OD = 8.96 mm, which gives a 5.4% stretch to the 8.5 mm o-ring when installed, more or less exactly what it should be.

Calculated cross-sectional area of the old, compressed o-ring was 3.153 sq. mm, compared to 3.142 sq. mm for the new o-ring.

The original o-ring was very likely Buna-N and failed in a very typical way for a nitrile o-ring, hardening and becoming brittle as a result of exposure to high temperatures and possibly also to sulphur compounds in the engine oil. The old o-ring came off the piston in five pieces.

I suggest a Viton o-ring as a replacement. You can buy the correct size from oringsUSA for $2.00 plus shipping.

If I were doing this repair I would also lightly polish the VVT pulley bore (that the piston installs in) to remove varnish with a Dremel buffing tool.

One last thing. Those weird slotted bolt heads on the VVT pulley - a 11/32" 6 point socket fits them quite well.
Great information migbro, hopefully it will help some people.

And if my Volvo makes it to 240,000 miles, and the VVT starts leaking again, I will definatly try it

Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 PM

If I were doing this repair I would also lightly polish the VVT pulley bore (that the piston installs in) to remove varnish with a Dremel buffing tool.

Thank you for the info, I will be doing what you stated. What ever you are doing for a living, I suggest you stop, and go help those guys work on the Space Shuttle. You are one SMART DUDE.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 PM

Thank you for the info, I will be doing what you stated. What ever you are doing for a living, I suggest you stop, and go help those guys work on the Space Shuttle. You are one SMART DUDE.
Let us know how it works out. You don't actually have to take the VVT pulley off the car, just remove the outer toothed ring and leave the pulley in place on the end of the camshaft. And don't forget there's a spring under the piston so don't lose that.

Last edited by migbro; 07-16-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM

Off topic, but there is no Space Shuttle any more, NASA's mission is now to make Muslims feel better about their scientific achievements and NASA itself is mainly an employment program, no results required, a bit like the Post Office. If NASA actually wants to get into orbit it has to hitch a ride with the Russians.

Last edited by migbro; 07-16-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Off topic, but there is no Space Shuttle any more, NASA's mission is now to make Muslims feel better about their scientific achievements and NASA itself is mainly an employment program, no results required, a bit like the Post Office. If NASA actually wants to get into orbit it has to hitch a ride with the Russians.
I agree somewhat, it is a shame Obama let the shuttle program go. But honestly I think in the long run it will be for the best.

Keep your eyes on SpaceX. They and others like them will become NASA's goto for getting people into space. SpaceX is already running many satalites up, and I think made a few deliveries to the ISS. I think using a private company for launches is a much better way. Look at how much the Shuttle program cost to keep running, and it didn't make any money back. SpaceX is a money maker, good for the economy.

Now NASA can focus on creating the missons and let someone else worry about getting it out of Earth's gravity well.

Have you been following the Curiosity misson on Mars! That whole thing has amazed me from start to finish. There is a video of the actual touchdown from a camera on the bottom of the rover. High Def and it even has sound! Vid start from the time the heat shield is released all the way to the landing on Mars, unreal. And the next mission's rover will be able to dig down into the ground (so I've heard), I can't wait!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM

Now NASA can focus on creating the missons and let someone else worry about getting it out of Earth's gravity well.
lol. Yeah. Maybe you're too young to see the tragedy in NASA's evolution from the incredibly capable and ballsy organization that put Neil Armstrong on the moon to just another pathetically useless government department.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 PM

Thank you for the info, I will be doing what you stated.
OK, Mr. Carter, this may help you a lot. After looking at the VVT pulley a little more it became clear that the piston with the o-ring doesn't actually do anything. It does not move in the bore, all it does is close the hole it sits in.

Under the piston with the o-ring is a spring and under the spring is the component that moves.

So here's the ultimate low buck ghetto fix for a leaking VVT pulley. I'm confident this fix will work well. I'd certainly do it on my car. In fact I probably will as a preventive measure.
1) Clean the visible part of the piston with spray carb cleaner. Do this several times so the metal is absolutely dry and free of oil. Position shop rags to catch the overspray and keep the carb cleaner off your timing belt.
2) Position your cam pulley so the leaking piston is facing directly up.
3) Fill the small depression around the piston with
flowable silicone flowable silicone
4) Wait for the silicone to cure - overnight would be best - and you're done!

Last edited by migbro; 07-22-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 AM

OK, Mr. Carter, this may help you a lot. After looking at the VVT pulley a little more it became clear that the piston with the o-ring doesn't actually do anything. It does not move in the bore, all it does is close the hole it sits in.

Under the piston with the o-ring is a spring and under the spring is the component that moves.

So here's the ultimate low buck ghetto fix for a leaking VVT pulley. I'm confident this fix will work well. I'd certainly do it on my car. In fact I probably will as a preventive measure.
1) Clean the visible part of the piston with spray carb cleaner. Do this several times so the metal is absolutely dry and free of oil. Position shop rags to catch the overspray and keep the carb cleaner off your timing belt.
3) Fill the small depression around the piston with flowable silicone.
You know, when I first looked at that piston I felt the same way. But I could not fathom Volvo engineering something like that that served no purpose. I had assumed it must somehow control the locking mechanism for the hub.

But you are correct, that spring always pushes out on the piston, and when the gear is pressurized it would be pressed out even more. I couldn't think of a way that the piston would be pulled down into the hub against the pressure of the spring....

Did you open the hub to look at the internals of it? I couldn't get the remaining bolts off to open it up, I was very curious to see exactly what was under that piston.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM

3) Fill the small depression around the piston with flowable silicone.
Sounds like a plan. I will do that asap. Thank you very much.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 PM

You know, when I first looked at that piston I felt the same way. But I could not fathom Volvo engineering something like that that served no purpose. I had assumed it must somehow control the locking mechanism for the hub.

But you are correct, that spring always pushes out on the piston, and when the gear is pressurized it would be pressed out even more. I couldn't think of a way that the piston would be pulled down into the hub against the pressure of the spring....

Did you open the hub to look at the internals of it? I couldn't get the remaining bolts off to open it up, I was very curious to see exactly what was under that piston.
I bought
one of these one of these
to remove the bolts and it worked like a charm.

I have the bolts out of the hub but that's as far as I've gone. The pulley did not come apart after the bolts were removed. I haven't had time to play with it further.

But now I'm starting to doubt that I'm correct about the "piston" with the o-ring being just a hole plug. I need to look at it again.

Robert Carter, please hold off on the silicone repair for now.

Last edited by migbro; 07-23-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 PM

I bought one of these to remove the bolts and it worked like a charm.

I have the bolts out of the hub but that's as far as I've gone. The pulley did not come apart after the bolts were removed. I haven't had time to play with it further.

But now I'm starting to doubt that I'm correct about the "piston" with the o-ring being just a hole plug. I need to look at it again.

Robert Carter, please hold off on the silicone repair for now.
Will do.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:07 AM

What happened to this thread? I Need to know more!

I recently replaced the plunger O-ring 6 months back but now the seal around the perimeter of the hub is leaking. I'm in the process of removing the hub and taking it apart to see the guts and reseal it.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by hhn2002
What happened to this thread? I Need to know more!

I recently replaced the plunger O-ring 6 months back but now the seal around the perimeter of the hub is leaking. I'm in the process of removing the hub and taking it apart to see the guts and reseal it.
For me, the $165 I paid for a new VVT Gear was well worth it.

What type/size of o-ring did you use?

Quick Reply: Newbie here with a question