Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

No Crank No Start 2001 volvo s40

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Crank No Start 2001 volvo s40

i own a 2001 volvo s40, which recently stop working. im gonna list a few things that happened before it stopped working. first off about three months ago my check engine light came on. had it tested and it sent back the code for bad camshaft position sensor. car didn't run any different. i didnt have the 200 bucks to replace it so i just let it be. i will note that since i bought the car upon hard acceleration when it gets up to higher rpms it kinda gives out or loses power almost starts putting. but it runs fine with normal driving. well then i decided to move outta state so i was gonna need to drive it about 650 miles. i changed the spark plugs and the oil not the wires, and still no difference. during the drive here when i was doing about 75 and started going up a hill the car would do the same kinda putting thing and the check engine light would start flashing. well i made it here anyways. the next day i started the car and it ran rough, real rough i though maybe it was just cold since im in Chicago now and it was like 40 degrees. well i backed out the drive way and when i tried to accelerate it barley moved, it seemed to be miss firing and jerking, very hesitant, something its never done. so i turn around park it and i swap the old plugs back in. car started ran terriable for about 2 mins and cut off by itself. tried to restart and nothing. no crank no start no clicking. dash lights up, and a orange arrow flashes and thats it. 1 week later the battery is dead. probly because it sat in the cold for a week but i just thought i would mention that. heres what ive done so far.
pulled spark plugs to make sure no heads were damaged, they are all in the right postion had battery tested its good, checked + and - wires no damage.

i dont think its the starter because it was running and then just died and now it wont re start. its nver had any trouble starting before. and now im lost. please help. sorry for the long post i just wanted to provide as much detail as i could..

thanks a bunch and any ideas are appreciated

Last edited by fallen.angel; 11-09-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to hear of your car problems. You charged the battery after it was dead and now when you turn the key to start nothing happens? I would try moving the gear shift to neutral and try to crank it again. The gear position selector acts to limit starting the car to park or neutral position. It can go bad. I have replaced mine once already.

Does the car leak oil? Is there any oil on the ground after the car has been sitting awhile? I ask because the VVT gear on the exhaust cam is infamous for failing. The first sign is an oil leak. If you can get your engine to crank I would check the compression first thing before I spent any more money on the car.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without codes can't really tell. I'd guess you have a bad PNP switch but that is probably not the only problem.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hudini
Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to hear of your car problems. You charged the battery after it was dead and now when you turn the key to start nothing happens? I would try moving the gear shift to neutral and try to crank it again. The gear position selector acts to limit starting the car to park or neutral position. It can go bad. I have replaced mine once already.

Does the car leak oil? Is there any oil on the ground after the car has been sitting awhile? I ask because the VVT gear on the exhaust cam is infamous for failing. The first sign is an oil leak. If you can get your engine to crank I would check the compression first thing before I spent any more money on the car.

yes the car did nothing even after i charged the battery. i tried starting from neutral and still the same result. i also moved the gear shift back and forth 12 times from L to P and tried again. still nothing.
underneath the black covers that go over the spark plugs there is oil, and has been since i bought it. none of the oil gets in the spark plug housing tho. and i have had to add oil maybe once a month not a lot tho. and would the vvt gear cause a no crank no start.

ill try and post pictures shortly
thanks for all your help
greatly appreciated

Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by migbro
Without codes can't really tell. I'd guess you have a bad PNP switch but that is probably not the only problem.
where is the PNP switch located and how do i test it?

Old 11-15-2014, 03:44 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

image of oil under enghin covers. i never have figured out where it was coming from. i thought it was the oil cap so i replaced it, but it didnt help

Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM

Eeeuwww!

I would track that oil leak down. Clean it up bright and dry (solvent, then paper towell) and watch to see where the oil first reappears.

About the bigger starting question, if you're doing DIY repairs, having a DiCE / VIDA setup is a BIIIG help. You will get both complete Volvo trouble codes, but real-time operational variables and the ability to interact with the car in a way no aftermarket scanner can, combined with a customized repair manual for your exact car.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No crank? Bad PNP switch, bad starter, bad battery, dirty or broken battery cables cables.

I'd get a voltage check at the starter to make sure it has battery voltage reaching it.

If it has 12 volts then I'd try to see if I could bump the starter with a remote start switch or even a screw driver on the solenoid.

If I have 12v and the starter works then suspect the PNP or ignition key switch. If no starter bump with 12v then suspect the starter. If no 12v then battery or cables.