Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Default oil leak at vvt pulley

On my 2001 S40 I found an oil leak around the vvt pulley, I was told by a volvo mechanic that 99% chance the vvt pulley is leaking. Is it possible that only the pulley seal is leaking and is there a way to tell whether the seal or the pulley is leaking??? The pulley is not making any noise. I do not want to change the pulley unless I have to.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator

You can clean everything really good with brake clean. Then run it and see where it is leaking from. I agree about the 99% of it being the pulley.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 PM

I'm new to this forum and haven't heard of a vvt pulley. Variable valve timing?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape-performance View Post
I'm new to this forum and haven't heard of a vvt pulley. Variable valve timing?
Yes that is what it is.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM

Hey Ikatse. How did your VVT pulley investigation go? I have a 2000 S40, 170K miles on it, runs well. But I may have a leak from my VVT as well. Did yours turn out to be the pulley itself or the seal? Give me a shout. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Default vvt pulley oil leak

Hey Counselor 828,

I ended up replacing the pulley and the seal. The leak was so slow that it was impossible to tell whether it was coming from the seal or the pulley. I was told by a volvo mechanic that most likely the pulley was leaking, I did not want to do the job twice so I bit the bullet and replaced both items. I knew it was either the vvt pulley or the seal was leaking because the vvt pulley and cover around the vvt pulley was wet with oil. The area around the intake cam/pulley was dry.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 PM

Hi Ikatse. Thanks for the reply. Was the leak so slow you could not see it, or you could see it but could not tell if it was coming from the pulley or the seal? Did you do the work yourself or did you have it done? What did it cost you (parts/labor)? Hard job to do? Did you have to remove the head from the engine or can it be done from the exterior, right where the pulleys are? After the repair, all good now, no leaking? Thanks for the insight, your information is really helpful. I am going to get into it on my 2000 S40 in the next week or so, and I want to armed with the best information I can from someone who has done it.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkatze View Post
Hey Counselor 828,

I ended up replacing the pulley and the seal. The leak was so slow that it was impossible to tell whether it was coming from the seal or the pulley. I was told by a volvo mechanic that most likely the pulley was leaking, I did not want to do the job twice so I bit the bullet and replaced both items. I knew it was either the vvt pulley or the seal was leaking because the vvt pulley and cover around the vvt pulley was wet with oil. The area around the intake cam/pulley was dry.
Hi Ikatse,

Quick question, what did the work cost you? I'm having what I belive to be a similar issue on my 2002 S40. To replace the timing belt, tensioner and vvt seal a mechanic is quoting me $1,075, but it seems high too me, any thoughts on what a fair price is?

thanks,
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 PM

Default S40 Oil leak

I just registered so I could share some info with you guys. I am a mechanic and just finished working on my brothers 01 S40. What a pain in the rear it was I cant tell you. When asked by my brother what car I recommend he purchase I told him Toyota Corolla or Camry, but what did he get? A Volvo S40 with a bad oil leak that he didn't notice because he was too lazy to pop the hood. Any how back to the subject. The S40's and most other Volvo's are known for bad cam seals and VVT gear. I didn't know about the gear until I ran the car after replacing all seals and valve cover gasket (used gasket maker because Volvo uses a liquid gasket). If you are going to go as far as replacing the cam seal I suggest that you replace the VVT gear as well as water pump, timing belt , idler and tensioner pulley. Do the job once and do it right. There are tools required to do the job so it doesn't pay to shortcut it. Oh and the best advice I could give is don't buy a Volvo because this over engineered crap of a car isn't worth its weight in scrap metal.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Default vvt

I worked at volvo and changed many vvt pullys on the S40. I changed them for rattling but have never changed one for leaking..... it will be the oil seal that is leaking.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Tags
2000, 2001, 2004, forums, leakage, leaking, oil, price, pulley, pully, s40, solenoid, volvo, vvt, xc70