Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

P0602 01/03 CEL No start

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0602 01/03 CEL No start

I think I am more baffled today than I was two years ago. I have had intermittent starting on an 03 S40. ever since we bought it.

I have always been able to get it going, normally in 5 minutes or less. I did overhaul the PNP switch. I have it narrowed down to immobilizer, starter, solenoid. Today was worse than ever, I ended up leaving car and when my wife got home I went with her and the kids to get it going. Tried banging on starter while having wife turn it over, no go. Finally I did manage to get it started and drove it home, It will not start again.

I have had these issues for a while but never has it been that difficult. Anyways to make a long story short, I plan on the wife using vehicle while I am out of state this summer so I want it to be reliable It is the main reason why I always take the Volvo.

Things I am doing/planning on. 1.) I have a new ignition cylinder that I am putting in, don't think that that will solve problem. 2.) I am thinking of sending the ECM off and have two new keys cut and programmed (250.00) 3.) Getting a new starter and putting it in.

Starter always sounds good, I am leaning to the immobilizer. Man I just wish that could be disabled

and finally I have some engine codes. the car has been clear of any engine codes until this afternoon. I have not really found much on the code it threw, mainly stuff to do with Dodge diesel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Random; 05-23-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can rule out a starter problem with a remote start switch. (or if you are careful you can bridge the hot and S terminal to see if it cranks)

I would be hesitant to replace the ECM. Maybe have it flashed at the local Volvo dealer? Plus they can hook it up to their DiCE tool and look at the individual computers on the car.

I bought a DiCE tool and VIDA software so I can do most of that stuff at home. You cannot flash the ECM or program keys without a proper licensed copy though. The hacked VIDA and cloned DiCE will still do more than the basic OBD-II scanner.

Definitely replace the switch and then go from there.

EDIT: Not an S40 starter

Name:  Solenoid%20screw%20driver_zpsd3m2bpfh.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  105.0 KB

Last edited by Hudini; 05-23-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hudini
You can rule out a starter problem with a remote start switch. (or if you are careful you can bridge the hot and S terminal to see if it cranks)

I would be hesitant to replace the ECM. Maybe have it flashed at the local Volvo dealer? Plus they can hook it up to their DiCE tool and look at the individual computers on the car.

Definitely replace the switch and then go from there.

I was not going to replace the ECM, I was going to send mine in and have it reprogrammed, with two new keys cut and programmed as well.

This is the place.
Locksmith Rockville MD, Locksmith Silver Spring MD, Locksmith Bethesda MD | Armen Lock

Would you advise against trying a service that does this?

TIA

Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 AM

Sorry for the confusion Hudini, I meant what I bolded, I knew about jumping the solenoid, not sure I have enough room though, very limited.

I do not think I have a faulty starter, however if so, what is the best way to R&R? From underneath or above. My Vibe was a piece of cake from above but Volvo is rather tight.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not had the pleasure of replacing my starter yet so no help there. I can tell you my older daughter's CR-V required the intake manifold to be removed. That was a horrible job. I hope the S40 is better.

If that locksmith place can get rid of the immobilizer feature and program your new keys to the ECM you are in business. Just watch out throwing money at the car. I've done this so many times it hurts thinking about it. Just make sure it's not something simple like a bad or loose power cable. I once chased a problem for over a year only to find out I crossed two spark plug wires. Talk about feeling stupid.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:00 PM

Thanks Hudini, on my Vibe all I had to do was pop the radiator out of the way and it was easy, looks a lot more congested on the Volvo..

My one and only Volvo key really took a beating, the rubber coating came off the top first and I tried dipping it in plastikote and it help but eventually my key started to disappear. After my incident the other day, about an hour before I got it started (45 min) I looked at the key and it looked like I was trying to tear it apart. Well today I did just that, I had a new blank transponder key and I thought I would take the chip out. The brand new key took about 30 seconds. My old key was a real PITA, power drill and hack saw but got it done.

Now I put the chip right under the antenna ring and it works. I fount a place that cut a key (25.00) and the new key works so I ordered an pristine OEM remote on Ebay, yeah a few more dollars but it looks new and will buy a blade from Swedish auto parts to pop in it and I should be good to go.

My switch comes in tomorrow so I will toss it in and put it back together and hope my intermittent starting issues are solved. I do not think my PNP switch has anything or the starter which seems to be solid, that old key was just murdered but with the chip in the sterring column I hope I do not have any immobilizer problems if that is the culprit!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Random; 05-24-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:48 PM

I put in the new ignition starter switch, should have been easy but two clips attached to the side gave me a battle until I finally figured out how they released. I put it in and car starts fine (for now) I did have two issues earlier but were both resolved within 5 seconds. Since I still had the steering shroud off I was able to move the the chip a little and it started both times.

So I am leaning towards the chip/immobilizer being my issue, not sure if I am going to put it in the steering column. I do have a blank key fob case and am thinking about inserting it there and that may give me more flexibility with finding the sweet spot apparently even a movement of less than 1 inch can have an effect on whether it starts or not

And food for thought, if I do not have to wriggle or move the chip, maybe the new starter switch was necessary?