Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Possible ignition cylinder switch cheap fix!!!!

Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Possible ignition cylinder switch cheap fix!!!!

Well, my wife called me and told me that the ignition switch on our 2001 s40 wouldn't turn all the way and she couldn't get the car to start. It was the ignition cylinder. Called the good folks at Clayton Volvo and they sold me 3 parts that will be programed for my car for $397. I ordered them after 4PM Friday so I hope I can cancel the order early Monday if you guys think my fix is good? I was tinkering with the ignition after lubing it and it started, so I put the ignition thing back on the part that turns with the key and put the screw back into the hole to hold it on and no start! So, I thought what the heck and unscrewed the starting cylinder, turned it clockwise, put the screw back in the hole to prevent it from turning when you turn the key and Zip tied it tight and IT WORKS!! I don't know all ht names of the parts, but the part that I turned clockwise is on the opposite side of column from the key. What do you'll think, will it hold up? I think so!!

Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Good old Clayton. I bought my 2001 there. They are a bit on the high side for parts normally.

Only time will tell if your fix holds up. I can tell you mama will not be happy to get stranded a second time. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I would hate to think she would be stuck somewhere because the zip tie brook? I'll bet that I won't be able to cancel order anyway, so I guess I will have to replace it, but, as of now, she starts and stops until the parts come in.