Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Recommended type of synthetic oil for Volvo 1.9T

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended type of synthetic oil for Volvo 1.9T

Hello. I don't want to open up a can of worms discussing the best brand of oil, etc., and I have tried to search in the forum, but I could not find the answer to this question.
I am a new owner of a 2000 S40 with 82K miles. It was well taken care off and was serviced regularly. I noticed the last oil change done used a synthetic blend. I decided I would use a 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it for next oil change but I noticed they made three varieties, if not more. One is the regular, the other is for high mileage engines and the third is an extended performance.
In the manual it states not to use any oil additives and I assume the high mileage version uses some kind of additive and I'm not sure about the extended performance version.
What is the recommended type of oil on a Volvo turbo with about 82K miles? Maybe keep using a synthetic blend? I also read on this thread that many synthetics are already blends.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Want it or not its open now .I will try to share my personal opinion on this I guess everyone will chip in then you can pull an average.
I find there is 2 brand I would ever use in any vehicle for multiple reasons which would open another debate so lets just say as my personal opinion there is only Mobil1 and Castrol both synthetic only.Then I find that the Mobil1 burns twice as fast as the Castrol does which makes the choice a no brainer for me.
Keep in mind that even tho the S40 is not considered a high performance car but it revs pretty high at times.Also the turbo runs pretty hot and that is what ruins the oil faster.
For me there is one oil and one only what I would/will ever use on this car Castrol full synthetic.Right now I use this but the one with no Titanium is more than good enough.Still changing oil every 3K tho but thats just me.
Castrol USA - CASTROL EDGE WITH TITANIUM

Last edited by GerBeGurGya; 04-14-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:23 PM

It looks like the Castrol Edge with Titanium has a OCI up to 15K which is same as the Castrol Extended protection. Just wondering if this titanium is some kind of marketing ploy and if it's safe for turbo cars. This ties into the question if I should go with the regular synthetic or the high mileage to protect seals, etc. I know it is supposed to be a myth that they can cause oil leaks. Well like you said it seems like a no brainer to use the Castrol, so I'll try that. I commute about 120 miles a day and do not drive aggressively. I just want this car to last and use the most appropriate oil that won't cause any issues. I appreciate your input!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Any synthetic is good and will protect just fine for the 7500 miles between "service engine" lights. If you go 15k miles between changes I would suggest at least a filter change at 7500 miles. JMHO.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Thank you for the replies. So the high mileage versions are not necessary correct? Maybe this is a silly question, but do you have to use a special oil filter for synthetic oil? I saw that many that use Mobil 1 synthetic oil also use the same brand oil filter. I ordered one of those cap wrenches to assist with removing the cover, is it usually required (hard to remove)? I figured I'd have all he tools ready to avoid last minute stops at the parts store. I was going to buy Mann brand but if anyone suggest different brand, please let me know. Too many options!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it. Buy the lowest cost full synthetic 5W-30 oil and a name brand filter. Change both at 7500 miles when the "Service Engine" light illuminates.

Your newly purchased oil filter will include a new filter housing O-ring which you also replace with your filter change. The plastic filter housing should not be overly tight. A little more than snug is all that is needed. The O-ring provides the seal, not the torque you place on the housing.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Default Full synthetic!!

My opinion would be go with full synthetic. BIG TIME!! That is what i use in my grand cherokee 2005 for many years now (180 000km and that is how i run my s40 2008 too. I dont do my oil changes less often (my choice)but because synthetic oil stays a good lub at hy temp (what regular or blends does not), i make an investment because the motors stays well lub and i will be able to run them for several years. I know that my mechanic use Castrol but i suppose that other brands can make the job. I have to travel often from Montreal (Quebec) to Florida and it's about 6000km back and forth. I do my oil change befor and after the trip.
Originally Posted by s40silverbullet
Hello. I don't want to open up a can of worms discussing the best brand of oil, etc., and I have tried to search in the forum, but I could not find the answer to this question.
I am a new owner of a 2000 S40 with 82K miles. It was well taken care off and was serviced regularly. I noticed the last oil change done used a synthetic blend. I decided I would use a 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it for next oil change but I noticed they made three varieties, if not more. One is the regular, the other is for high mileage engines and the third is an extended performance.
In the manual it states not to use any oil additives and I assume the high mileage version uses some kind of additive and I'm not sure about the extended performance version.
What is the recommended type of oil on a Volvo turbo with about 82K miles? Maybe keep using a synthetic blend? I also read on this thread that many synthetics are already blends.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM

I had my S40 2008 with 75k checked up at a CAA (AAA) recommanded garage inspection and they thold me that a crank seal would be to replaced into 2 years or maybe less bcse they found a leak (traces of). Is it a common problem or i am just bad lucked??

Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pierro
I had my S40 2008 with 75k checked up at a CAA (AAA) recommanded garage inspection and they thold me that a crank seal would be to replaced into 2 years or maybe less bcse they found a leak (traces of). Is it a common problem or i am just bad lucked??

By 'traces of' did they mean just some old dried oil that had leaked a little at some point? It is pretty common for oil seals to sweat a drop or two under the right conditions and then never leak again (for a long time at least). I noticed a couple of my cam seals had traces of a leak when I replaced them during my VVT replacement, but none of them were active leakers.

To the original post I recommend these oil filters:

Amazon.com: Mann-Filter HU 819 X Metal-Free oil filter: Automotive Amazon.com: Mann-Filter HU 819 X Metal-Free oil filter: Automotive

Excellent quality and much cheaper than store bought at least around my area. Under $8 with free shipping right now (with Prime membership). For oil I find the cheapest full synth I can find, usually the 5Q jugs at Walmart. They almost always have Castrol Edge or Pennzoil's Platinum for $20 or less. If it comes with a free filter I just get one for my Ford or my John Deere mower

Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Default Traces of

By "traces of" i think it is just dry traces. I wasn't there when he made the inspection so i didn't see it bur i sent it to an other mechanic center abd he thold me that he didn't see anything???? So i suppose it was only minor leak or a drh one. Nothing to dammage my drive way or having a free rust treatment under the car!! Ghank's for telling me that dry leaks are (normal) "problems"

Old 09-09-2015, 09:16 PM

For everybody who reed my messages, i want to tell you that i am use to speak french so i am sorry for my bad english and when i write messages from my cellphone, somethimes it looks likd i an writing with mitts. I should take em off:-)