Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Default removing interior door panel?

I need to replace a broken door handle on drivers side door. Anything special when I go to remove interior door panel to acces linkage??? does it just pull out after removing 3 visible screws??? anybody know of another supplier for handle other than dealer?

Thanks
2004 Ford F-150
Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 AM

bigdawg Orange
Default RE: removing interior door panel?

I have yet to do this myself. It would be really nice though if you could document your work with pictures and post it here for anyone who follows you. A "how to" if you will.
2005 S40 T5 AWD

You can have it done QUICKLY, done INEXPENSIVELY, done CORRECTLY. Pick any two.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM

I'm assuming you mean the exterior handle on the outside of the door? There is a screw in the compartment where you put your hand to pull the door closed, a screw where the inside handle release is located, and I belive there is one more on the face of the door panel. It's a good idea to put the window down just about a half inch to relieve the stress on the door panel. Don't put it down too far or you will not be able to unbolt the outside handle when you have the door panel off and the glass is in the way. Next note: There are several snaps holding the door panel to the metal of the door. Start at the bottom and work your way up as you pull. Easy as you go since these snaps are plastic and they do tendto break.The top of the panel is probably looped over the metal of the door so you will have to wiggle the panel up once all the snaps are off. I have an S40 but have only done this on the S60 so I'm only partially helping here. Now getting to the outside handle might be tricky given all metal that is in that door. Becareful when you are removing the bolts on the metal of the door now that the panel is off (which ever bolts you might have to remove) some of them hold the window regulator to the door and you can easily knock the window off the track. Now I have heard of a problem with the door actuator going bad and you were unable to open the door from the inside. Good luck I'll check back shortly.
'00 XC70 113K miles (Transmission replaced, timing belt, water pump, heater core, fuel pump) time to sell.
'02 Toyota Camry 101k miles. My sons car. I've gone to the other side.
'72 TR6 80K miles (resting in my garage)
Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 AM

$122 for chrome finished handel from dealer, any other retailers?
2004 Ford F-150
Old 08-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Default the cardboard insullation configuration

So I had to remove the front passenger side door panel because my wife's wedding ring fell into the door b/c there was a crack in the little coin tray above the door handle. *sigh

I've had to remove the door panel of my 2000 IV jetta, and let me tell you, this one was sooo much easier to remove.

Besides the three obvious screws, there are three others. If you open the door and are looking at it from the inside, 2 of them are on the right hand side on the outside edge, and one of them is behind the speaker cover.

After removing the screws, the panel pulls towards you from bottom going up, and after getting the door handle free from the panel, you should be able to lift the panel up and off the little track and free from the door lock.

Now that's the easy part. I was focused on finding the ring (which I found thank God) and I wasn't paying attention to how the stupid cardboard peices fit in there between the metal door and this panel. They're supposed to be glued, but, mine had come free.

I'll try and figure out how they go on there, and post a picture if I get it figured out. Otherwise if you're about to do this, take a picture for us. I may end up just leaving them out all together as I've got to this done in a hurry.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Tags
2003, 240, 940, door, doors, driver, front, panel, panels, remove, removing, s60, side, v70, volvo, xc90