Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Default S40 doesn't start, won't turn over when key turned

I'm having this intermittent problem with my 2001 S40 (and also my 1999 V70XC) -- sometimes when I turn the key to start the car the engine won't turn over and I can't start the car. The dashboard lights all illuminate, the headlights come on, but the car just clicks...no turn over. This happens occasionally, and unpredictably, but often enough that we consider the car unreliable. The battery (less than 2 years old) has been checked by the dealer under load and seems good. Any suggestions about what can be my problem?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator

It could be a starter. What I would do is wire a bulb into the small wire going to the starter. If the light lights and the starter does not work then the starter is bad.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to 850tony Send a message via MSN to 850tony

just for back ground info, he says wire the bulb through the small wire because that is the wire that engages the gear to the flywheel (solinoid) and if that is good the starter is bad.

if the brakes didnt squeal it wouldnt be a volvo...

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Remove the signal wire from the starter (the small wire) and check for corrosion on the connector. This seems to be the cause of a number of intermittent no starts on several Volvo models.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 PM

I have the similar problem with my wife’s 2001 s40 except it doesn’t click, just does nothing. Try again and it starts. All lights come on as you described but nothing when you turn the key on occasion. Battery is original. Did you find your problem?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Mine does the same, and its pretty damn annoying. Ive traced it to the neutral/park safety switch. I just hit it with a jumper wire until it decides to become more frequent. Ive had to put way too much into the car recently.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:06 PM

On my 07 I have a huge grounding wire going to the frame. Might want to check for corrosion on this wire and make sure its tight.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrc1 View Post
I have the similar problem with my wife’s 2001 s40 except it doesn’t click, just does nothing. Try again and it starts. All lights come on as you described but nothing when you turn the key on occasion. Battery is original. Did you find your problem?
No, I haven't found the problem on the S40. It still happens occasionally but if I try it enough times, or sometimes wait until the next day it has always started...eventually. Not very reliable at all.

I had the same problem on my V70XC and ended up replacing the starter. Since then, no problems. It may be the same issue.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

Same exact issue with our 02 S40. We've had it towed to repairships twice to find, the next day it start perfectly form them, and they can't diagnose the issue. It seems to be happening more frequently now to us. Was 10, 6, 3 months, and the 3 days -- and always starts by the next day. Yesterday when it happened I was able to start it from neutral. Before nothing could be done to start it. I am hoping this is at least a temporary answer before someone can figure out a more permanent solution (certainly dont want to replace the started and find the issue still exists). Per the above, I will take it to someone and have them check the solinoid to see if that is the solution.

Last edited by sethroatl; 10-12-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Default same problem

We have this same problem with our 1999 s40 which only has 30000 miles on the clock, (we must get out more I know)
We bought it with 9000 miles, in 2003 and the problem started just after the 3 month warranty ran out, as it does.
The starter motor was replaced at 12000 miles, which didnt cure the problem, and though the car always starts,eventualy it isnt reliable.
Because the volvo garage cannot identify the fault they said they can only renew componants til on a trial and error basis, which could be expensive.
I just stumbled upon this thread and wondered if there were any cures found for what appears to be not an isolated fault.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Tags
2001, car, engine, intermittent, issue, key, keys, s40, signal, start, starter, time, turn, volvo, wire, wont