Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 doesn't start, won't turn over when key turned

Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 doesn't start, won't turn over when key turned

I'm having this intermittent problem with my 2001 S40 (and also my 1999 V70XC) -- sometimes when I turn the key to start the car the engine won't turn over and I can't start the car. The dashboard lights all illuminate, the headlights come on, but the car just clicks...no turn over. This happens occasionally, and unpredictably, but often enough that we consider the car unreliable. The battery (less than 2 years old) has been checked by the dealer under load and seems good. Any suggestions about what can be my problem?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

It could be a starter. What I would do is wire a bulb into the small wire going to the starter. If the light lights and the starter does not work then the starter is bad.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM

just for back ground info, he says wire the bulb through the small wire because that is the wire that engages the gear to the flywheel (solinoid) and if that is good the starter is bad.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Remove the signal wire from the starter (the small wire) and check for corrosion on the connector. This seems to be the cause of a number of intermittent no starts on several Volvo models.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 PM

I have the similar problem with my wife’s 2001 s40 except it doesn’t click, just does nothing. Try again and it starts. All lights come on as you described but nothing when you turn the key on occasion. Battery is original. Did you find your problem?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Mine does the same, and its pretty damn annoying. Ive traced it to the neutral/park safety switch. I just hit it with a jumper wire until it decides to become more frequent. Ive had to put way too much into the car recently.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:06 PM

On my 07 I have a huge grounding wire going to the frame. Might want to check for corrosion on this wire and make sure its tight.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by nhrc1
I have the similar problem with my wife’s 2001 s40 except it doesn’t click, just does nothing. Try again and it starts. All lights come on as you described but nothing when you turn the key on occasion. Battery is original. Did you find your problem?
No, I haven't found the problem on the S40. It still happens occasionally but if I try it enough times, or sometimes wait until the next day it has always started...eventually. Not very reliable at all.

I had the same problem on my V70XC and ended up replacing the starter. Since then, no problems. It may be the same issue.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

Same exact issue with our 02 S40. We've had it towed to repairships twice to find, the next day it start perfectly form them, and they can't diagnose the issue. It seems to be happening more frequently now to us. Was 10, 6, 3 months, and the 3 days -- and always starts by the next day. Yesterday when it happened I was able to start it from neutral. Before nothing could be done to start it. I am hoping this is at least a temporary answer before someone can figure out a more permanent solution (certainly dont want to replace the started and find the issue still exists). Per the above, I will take it to someone and have them check the solinoid to see if that is the solution.

Last edited by sethroatl; 10-12-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Default same problem

We have this same problem with our 1999 s40 which only has 30000 miles on the clock, (we must get out more I know)
We bought it with 9000 miles, in 2003 and the problem started just after the 3 month warranty ran out, as it does.
The starter motor was replaced at 12000 miles, which didnt cure the problem, and though the car always starts,eventualy it isnt reliable.
Because the volvo garage cannot identify the fault they said they can only renew componants til on a trial and error basis, which could be expensive.
I just stumbled upon this thread and wondered if there were any cures found for what appears to be not an isolated fault.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like what happens when the shifter is not all the way in Park or Neutral. Known as the starter safety switch on other cars, not sure what Volvo calls it.

Does your car also have the issue where you put the car in Park but the ignition key won't come all the way out until you jiggle the shifter?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:00 AM

I think you are reffering to an automatic gearbox, ours is manual.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:50 AM

On the manuals you have to push in the clutch before attempting a start so it would be the Clutch Safety Switch (or Volvo equivalent name). Put the car in neutral, depress the clutch, and turn the key to START. While holding the key in START try slowing pushing and releasing the clutch pedal to see if the starter engages. It might simply be a misadjusted switch on the clutch pedal. (Had one on a Toyota like this)

Many things can cause no starts. "Click, click, click" sound usually is low voltage from the battery. Charge the battery or replace if it won't hold a charge. Can be a bad connection too. It just means the starter is not getting enough electricity.

Car sometimes won't start when hot but always starts when cold. Usually means a bad starter.

Lights work but nothing happens when you turn the key. This is the one where the Clutch Safety Switch or Neutral Safety Switch might be at fault. Always make sure automatic trannys are in park or neutral and ,if a manual, you have the clutch depressed. For autos, try wiggling the shifter in park or neutral while turning the key. (This works on the old 240's and several other cars I've worked on)

Last edited by Hudini; 10-15-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: kant spel
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks for getting back on this one Hudini, we do appreciate your advice, and will use it and see what happens.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 AM

My 2000 S40 is having intermittent problems with what seems like the entire electrical system going to very low power. When the problem arises (always when the key is in the "On" position) the dash lights flicker weakly, the windows slow to a crawl, and there is a sizzling sound (as if a relay is not successfully engaging) coming from around the left side firewall area.

Just like that it comes. And just like that it goes. The car will run fine for weeks, then it strands me. I have replaced the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch, and have removed the ECM and the anti-theft modules while this is happening, and haven't found the central problem.

I will check the signal wire and the ground straps today, but......

This 'feels' like a bad relay.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 PM

I bought my Volvo S40 from an auction a couple of years ago. I started experiencing the won't start thing recently and it's gotten progressively worse. I just replaced the starter yesterday and this afternoon after i left the grocery store it wouldn't start for about 10 minutes. i'll look into some of your other suggestions and will let you know what happens.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My S40 doing same

I drive a 2005 S40 T5. After having the fuel pressure switch and airflow meter replaced fuel consumption has increased, car idles lower than before, the 'Volvo warm up feature' is no longer "active" and then the car struggled to start when cold. The problem has gotten worse with us being stranded some weeks ago. After having checked all fuses and replacing 2 the car started. Then had my battery replaced as Volvo said it's the battery. Now I'm still sitting with the same problem, sometimes the car starts straight away and sometimes not... I have noticed that if I wait for all the lights on dash to go off and for the engine light to start blinking the car starts fine. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

The following users liked this post:
Shelita (06-22-2020)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM

I should have posted sooner, but I found and fixed the electrical problem. It was the positive battery cable.

This cable (surprise surprise) is a more of a harness, part of which directly powers various elements of the engine management systems. Under thermal stress (I think) the conductivity of the wires would falter and throw the car into a fit.

Replacing the cable was NOT fun, but it fixed the problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM

My 2001 S40 Volvo does the same thing as well.
Why is this happening? : (

Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by carley
My 2001 S40 Volvo does the same thing as well.
Why is this happening? : (
You have read everything posted here? Have you tried any of the suggestions? Let us know what you have done to trace the problem in your car. It can be several things so the normal method is to try the suggestions given to see if any apply to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S40 doesn't start, won't turn over when key turned