Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Engine Cut out breakdown service, found two codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Engine Cut out breakdown service, found two codes

Hi Guys,

Problem started a week ago, thought I'd stalled the car while going onto a Motorway, engine cut out 5 or six times within an hour, managed to get off the motorway after about half hour engine started and worked as normal, until yesterday happened again engine cut, this time managed to call out a breakdown service, he ran a test came up with 2 errrors he had no access to the Volvo code.

contacted breakdown service, found two codes
1/ P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance
2/ P1180 Manufacturer Specific Fault Code

Can someone Help Please

Thanking you for your time

John

Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems that you have fuel delivery problem.
P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance
P1180 Fuel Delivery System Malfunction - Low
Things to check are:
Cleaning the injectors by adding some STP fuel/injector cleaner but my personal take would be on the fuel filter.It can not be said what year and how many miles on your car but chances are that the filter was never replaced I would start there.
Pressure in the fuel rail if the filter is OK to see if the regulator is bad but it most likely need to be replaced anyway as this item goes out very often but the fuel pump could be on its way out too but check filter then pressure in the rail first.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Default 2006 Volvo S40 SE 1.6D

Thank you for the Info, sorry in my haste to find out what was wrong I failed to mention.
Its a 2006 Volvo S40 SE 1.6D and its fairly high milage 59000 (for me) but the car has been serviced by the main dealer at every service interval of 12500.
I took the car out not long after I posted, as it was an intermitten fault, No long I drove about 3 miles and the engine refused to restart. Called the AA breakdown Service who towed the car Back to the main dealership.
Once I get the car back I will post the results, and possibly ask for donations to pay for it (only kidding )

Thanking you for your Time

Best Regards

John

Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

1.6D = 1.6 Litre Diesel? If so is it a turbo diesel? What kind of fuel mileage do you see?

Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Default fuel was contaminated

Got the car Back, I was told that the fuel was contaminated. I had filled the car at my usual fuel station filled from almost empty to full, with diesel and had driven well over 180miles. I did Not pick the wrong fuel.
The Volvo garage cleaned out all the contamination and said it didn't appear to be unleaded and it had a sweet smell, cleaned the pipes, tank and changed the filter plus checked the area, they gave no guarantees as to the condition of the injectors, cat or engine.
I mentioned to the fuel station manager, that my receipt gave a pump number and was allocated to diesel, he remarked that I was one of only a few complaints and he had No intention of cleaning his tanks out, plus no proof that I only bought fuel from his station.
So I am running the car, I am filling to full when the tank is only half full. The car is running fine. I must point out that the day before the engine stopped I took my car for an MOT, and it passed. I would have thought that the containate had it been one fuel, would have caused a failure and had the tank been full of unleaded would I have travelled over 180 miles, without the engine finaly stopping like it did.
Sadly when you dont have enough proof, its very costly especially when you have no control of the events and had I known I had put the wrong fuel in I would not have moved the car.

Thank you for all your help

and yes the 1.6D is a Turbo

Best Regards

John
PM me if you want the location of the fuel stop, incase you are ever running on Red, for me I will avoid this place from now on

Last edited by waddojohn@yahoo.co.uk; 10-09-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: more information
Old 01-18-2021, 06:23 AM
Default Error 272 on my volvo s40 1.6 diesel eco drive

Afternoon. I have a volvo s40 1.6 diesel eco drive and an error 'engine system service required' and error 272 on the dash when holding down the button next to the speedo. Anyone know what it means? Car running fine also service was done 8month ago so doubt its overfilled oil. Car has 80k on the clock Thank you in advance