Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Scheduled Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Scheduled Maintenance

Hi all. Hoping someone can give me some sound advice here.

Earlier this year I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2008 S40 for my wife. It was a program car that had about 18k miles at the time. Currently, it’s at 21k and has a 22.5k scheduled maintenance coming up. My question is, since the 22.5k service is pretty much just an oil change and checking fluid levels, why wouldn’t I just save some money take it to my local oil change center? I could then take it into the dealership for the 30k service. Any thoughts?

Also, it doesn’t look like rotating the tires is included with any of the scheduled maintenance services. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't answer on the 22.5K maintenance...I will be taking my car to the dealer for those because I get them covered under the Safe and Sound Plan. Only delta I will be paying for is to use synthetic oil, which is something my independent mechanic recommended for all turbo engines.

Not sure how it is for 2008, but my 2009 Owner's Manual (pg. 189) has a discussion on why tire rotations are not a part of the maintenance schedule. It doesn't recommend against them, however...

Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Billrose--I've just asked a similar question in the V70 part of this forum. First, you should find out whether your local quickie oil change place has an idea about Volvo type oil filters. They're different, you know, than what you are used to. Second, some dealers do scout around for warranty-covered work to do in their "inspections" which doesn't hurt you at all. Third, if there is some oil-related failure someday within the warranty period, Volvo can't really question the work its authorized dealer did.

What's the price difference, anyway?

Just watch out for what my dealer wants to do to me: way excessive work to steal money from me as "recommended" service. I'm taking mine in for 30K service, and dealer's definition of 30K service includes lots of expensive work that owner's manual doesn't recommend. Like spark plugs, "flame trap" service and other things......

Not sure about your model, but not rotating tires is a false economy. But a tire store might do that cheaper, or even for "free" if you buy your next tires there.