Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Default S40 Turbo Issues

Hey guys,

Haven't been here in a long time. I'm in the medical field now and that world tends to suck you in. I haven't been under a car hood a more than a year! My hands don't have that lovely grease-monkey look they used to have[&o]

On to the problem:

I'm still driving a 2001 S40 1.9T now with 84,000 miles. She has been giving loads and loads of problems as of late. I just had to spend 2400 dollars to get a few issues fixed after my powersteering failed during winter driving.
The most recent problem has me considering going back to a Toyota/Honda setup because this is just not sounding bad.
I may have lost a lot of my gearhead instinct and it's pointing towards a blown bearing so tell me what you think.

When the car is in Drive, during acceleration I hear a whistling tone which increases in loudness as I work my way up the RPMs. It is actually occurring during turbo spool from what I can tell.
It is doing the same problem when in Neutral. It does not have any mechanical tones to it it (grind/crush/etc) It does NOT sound like a belt.
Oddly enough, I don't have smoke of any color coming out of the exhaust, which would normally be associated with a turbo failure.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 PM

bigdawg Orange
Default RE: S40 Turbo Issues

It could simply be the intake to the turbo is loose and sucking in air after the air filter. I have a project car that I installed a turbo and have a short intake with the air filter located in the wheel well. When the turbo spools it sounds like a jet engine spooling up. I can easily see our cars doing the same thing with a loose hose. It may even be between the turbo outlet and the throttle body. Just a guess.
2005 S40 T5 AWD

You can have it done QUICKLY, done INEXPENSIVELY, done CORRECTLY. Pick any two.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

I agree look for a loose intercooler hose or maybe even a cracked intercooler if you just hit something.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 AM

it definitely sounds like an intake issue if its a whistle that you hear with rpm's.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

I dropped the car off at Volvo after I found no evidence of a loose intake etc. Just got the call from them, the turbo is toast
Not sure what the most cost-effective way of getting it back on it's feet would be.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Vender

Thanks for all the help guys.

I dropped the car off at Volvo after I found no evidence of a loose intake etc. Just got the call from them, the turbo is toast
Not sure what the most cost-effective way of getting it back on it's feet would be.
Damb that sucks!!!
Maybe try to find a used one.

BTW nice to see you back even if it is for an hour or so LOL!!!
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 AM

go to ebay and get a new one...it aint worth having it fixed unless you plan on gettinga new car soon...make sure you get the 12t and not the 14t turbo.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, I've been on the hunt. Trying to evaluate my options.
Tech, it's nice to be back. I've got more time now so I'll be stickin' around
Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 PM

I am glad to have heard about these turbo issues. I was planning on getting a turbo kit for my S40 and I heard of the new model on a auto site and I think I rather wait for the new model than make upgrades and have issues with my car.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 AM

what year is your s40 now mike?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Tags
2001, failed, failure, failures, intercooler, issues, problem, problems, s40, spool, throttle, turbo, volvo, whistle, whistling