Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 won't start - electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 won't start - electrical problems?

Hi all - I have a 2006 S40 2.4i that was running well until yesterday.

When I tried to start the car it wouldn't turn over but instead made a lot of high-frequency clicking sounds from the dash, mainly from the glove box. Now the immobilizer is a little slow to recognize the key. When I turn the key to position 1 everything that should come on does, except for the dash guages. When I turn to position 2 (drive), everything else comes on such as air and A/C for a few seconds but I get the error messages "reduced engine performance", "anti-skid temporarily off", "immobilizer see manual" and everything turns off for two seconds, then comes back on as this cycle repeats.

Sometimes when I turn the key to start, I can hear the starter trying to work but most of the time nothing happens.

Does anyone know what this could be? I don't think that it's the battery since all electrical components seem to come on at full strength. Of course my warranty just ran out.

Thanks very much.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say immobilizer.
The key antenna ring goes sometimes too.

Battery is a good idea too.
Replace it and reevaluate.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Thanks, Lyonsroar.

I'll start with your suggestions.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 PM

I am bumping this because this just happened to my wife's 2007 s40 2.4i! what in the world is the issue??

I read it's the antenna rings in the ignition or its the immobilizer..(tried lock/unlock 5 times trick and nothing)

The key does feel like it wants to get stuck in position 0. not as smooth pulling it out anymore. If I put the key in and turn it to position 1 everything is good. When I turn it to position 2 it stays on for a second and then everything shuts off. just like the OP said. Any ideas at all??? battery is 2-3 years old...

Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 AM

It was the battery in my case. At the time, I had the original battery in a four year-old car. The car started with the help of a boost, and my local Volvo dealer replaced the battery. They mentioned at the time that you can get a number of different error messages when output power too low. So that was it. I don't believe that we changed the alternator or fuses, and in the five years since, I've had no electrical problems with the car at all.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Repeated clicking noises while attempting a start = low voltage to the starter (battery, grounds, cables, etc tho usually battery itself)

Now if you place your key in the ignition and all lights work normally but nothing happens when you turn the key (no clicking, no dimming of lights, nothing) I would suspect the ignition switch itself. Especially when you mention the key does not want to turn back to 0.

I replaced the ignition switch on my 2005 and it was night/day difference in how the key turned. Crisp, smooth, and with less friction. Plus it fixed the problem of turning the key and nothing happens.

Now VIDA says to remove the dash to gain access to the switch so be prepared to spend a few hours fixing this one. I refused to remove the dash and cut away some plastic so the switch could be removed with the dash in place. This worked but now I have a loose panel because it's support is gone. Oh well. Good luck with yours.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 PM
Default You made my day

I woke up this morning with the exact issues described on my 06' C70. After trying numerous different things, the 5 unlock/lock, tapping the key, changing key battery, following wiring, checking all fuses, I came across this thread. I immediately ran to the store and bought a battery and voila! My sweet C70 is back in action.

Thank you for being so specific and updating your experience! You saved my wallet!

Old 06-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S40 Will Not Crank, Steering Locked, Immobiliser Won't Turn Off

Same problem, s40 stopped running, got stuck, tried to start it several times having checked fuel rail for fuel pressure, tapped starter, had to have it towed at great expense, and just can't find anyone who knows how to fix immobilizer, where everything comes on, all windows, door locks lights work fine. Charged battery, checked all fuses with meter, verified starter is OK by jumping starter relay pin 87 to 30 and starter cranks, but no start. Steering locked, won't release even with key inserted? Error says steering requires service, but what kind of service. Air restraint pass side says needs urgent attention. Can this sensor set immobilizer? Anyone have a check list of what sets off immobilizer? Tried the turn off and on key five times, nothing, rapped key in ignition, changed battery, checked and cleaned with electronic cleaner all connections on CEM and checked all fuses with meter, also swapped starter relay with engine management relay, nothing to date has cleared immobilizer. Anything I missed?

Thanks,

Old 05-09-2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by FREE-PPV
Same problem, s40 stopped running, got stuck, tried to start it several times having checked fuel rail for fuel pressure, tapped starter, had to have it towed at great expense, and just can't find anyone who knows how to fix immobilizer, where everything comes on, all windows, door locks lights work fine. Charged battery, checked all fuses with meter, verified starter is OK by jumping starter relay pin 87 to 30 and starter cranks, but no start. Steering locked, won't release even with key inserted? Error says steering requires service, but what kind of service. Air restraint pass side says needs urgent attention. Can this sensor set immobilizer? Anyone have a check list of what sets off immobilizer? Tried the turn off and on key five times, nothing, rapped key in ignition, changed battery, checked and cleaned with electronic cleaner all connections on CEM and checked all fuses with meter, also swapped starter relay with engine management relay, nothing to date has cleared immobilizer. Anything I missed?

Thanks,
Hi, did you have any joy with this? Did you fix it and what was the solution? I have this exact issue,

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

I've seen locking and unlocking the car five times quickly with the remote "reset" the key. Not sure that works with a Volvo but it's certainly worth a shot!