Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Default sunroof not flush when closed

I just bought an '02 s40.. Mint condish. Awesome ride!

One thing I noticed though is the sunroof doesnt seem to close properly. I hold the close button down all the way until the sunrooof stops. It definitely seems closed from the inside of the car, but from the outside the sunroof seems to not sit flush with the roof. The back end of the sunroof seems to go down about an inch(maybe less) more than it should. I'm worried that it will leak.

Is it normal? Should I be worried about a leak? Is there anything I can do to adjust it without causing a leak?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Yeah, an inch is way off. There is a frame that the glass rides on. That can be adjusted but I believe you need to remove the headliner. That's all I can offer. Sorry.

02 Honda Odyssey kid hauler
98 Ram 1500 4X4
and of course, 65 Mustang Convertible 289
Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM

An inch is way too far. Mine sits about 1/4 inch down. There should be a mechanism to adjust the height I think, but I have no idea where it is.

Tech?
Crystal White Pearl
AEM SRI
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 PM

Now that I look at it again, it's probably about a 1/4, maybe a 1/2 inch.

If rain happens to make its way in, is there some kind of catcher/drain that stops water from leaking into the cabin?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:47 PM

YEs there is. You're better off running a hose on it or something, that way you can know whether there is a problem ahead of time.
Crystal White Pearl
AEM SRI
Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 PM
1994 Volvo 850
My Garage

For 850s, you pop open the sunroof. With it open there is black trim that covers up the hinge arm. Pull those off and there are three screws that hold the glass to the arms. Close the sunroof and loosen the front screw on each side. Have somebody push down the glass in front until it's flush, tighten the screws.

Like I said, that is for an 850, but at least it will give you somewhere to start.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 PM

I'll check VADIS and see what we can find.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Mine in my '02 S40 was doing the same thing. I found that some of the hex key (or possible torx) screws came loose. You can see these from the inside when the roof is closed. I pushed up on the corner that was low and tightened the screws and that took care of it.
Stan

2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P.
1998 V70 NA - Sold

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

The S/V 40 have the same sunroof. To adjust the glass panel the easiest way to do it is as follows:
Put glass in vent / tilt position.
Remove the side covers (black shields) by pulling straight back. They are a snap fit over a pin.
With the covers removed you can see two screws on both sides. Screws are Torx T25. Torque is 5 Nm. One in front and one 2/3 to the back.
Close the glass panel by holding pushing the switch and adjust the glass panel. There is a minor adjustment fore aft. Try to push the glass slightly forward. Be careful not to push too far foreward otherwise it will leak in the back. This adjustment is done with the front screw only. So you have to adjust fore aft and up down in the front at the same time. The fore aft adjustment will help in the thumping noise when the glass panel goes through the opening. Now adjust the rear. The glass should be slightly under flush in the front and slightly over flush in the rear (measured at the top of the seal).
Cycle and if you are satisfied put the side covers back and you are done.

Last edited by dutch connection; 03-08-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Tags
2000, adjust, arms, close, closed, closing, flush, ford, limit, s40, shut, sunroof, switches, v70, volvo