Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

trunk liner gasoline spill

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk liner gasoline spill

I have a 2002 Volvo s40 that recently had a gasoline spill in the trunk. I was carrying gasoline for my lawnmower.

I would like to know how to get rid of this smell? I aired out the car all last week-end and it helped but the smell remains it is just diminished.

I am think of replacing the trunk liner since that is where the gasoline spilled.

What is this piece of fabric called (trunk liner?) and can I get a generic piece, but one specifically cut for Volvo?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Last edited by Newport_j; 05-18-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

If you are going to go through the effort of removing the liner to swap out, you might as well remove and clean it outside the car and reinstall when dry. Two considerations: first the residual smell is probably due to some small amount of gas that's trapped under the liner so while it may feel dry, there's a small amount still there that needs to evaporate. second is, the carpet material in cars is very durable so they can clean up with detergent and water - the only concern is doing so inside the car means you want to let it dry out and not use too much water. I had a similar experience where a can of paint spilled (HW store didn't seal after mixing). I simply wet down the carpet and used my shop vac to pull out the excess water (rinse, repeat...) until clean. I then let the carpet air dry overnight with the help of a fan. If you decide to pull the liner out you can wipe down the interior as well. If you have trouble removing you can still use the detergent/shop vac technique but just pull away what you can to allow it to fully dry.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Also, Febreze is magic! I have not had to use it with gasoline smell, but it works with mouse nests in the vent system.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Default Cleaning trunk liner

I did not know that the trunk liner came out from the hood without tearing it out. That is why I suggested replacement.

So just to check, it can be easily removed with and cleaned and then replaced.

Also, it is easy to clean. Can this cleaning be done in a front loading washer?

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 05-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I think the washer is overkill and risks more damage than help. With volatile chemicals the smell is the evaporation rather than a stain per se, so the first thing is to aid drying by removing and then you can simply rinse off - Google the topic and you will see plenty of tips recommending Febreze (good call by mf70) , even baking soda/vinegar and water. If you can park in the sun with the trunk open and perhaps with a fan to move air, you'd be good to go in an afternoon.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Newport_j
I did not know that the trunk liner came out from the hood without tearing it out. That is why I suggested replacement.

So just to check, it can be easily removed with and cleaned and then replaced.

Also, it is easy to clean. Can this cleaning be done in a front loading washer?

Respectfully,

Newport_j
Are you talking about the material on the sides of the trunk? Or the flat peice that covers the spare tire? The sides are pretty stiff stuff. Not cardboard backed but it has some sort of thick backing to help keep its shape. No way that is going in a washing maching.

I have pulled part of mine out before getting to the retractable antennea. There are plastic screw/fasteners that hold it in. Just look around and remove all of those.

And as others have said a good cleaning outside of the vehicle is best. I've used dishwashing liquid to clean gas spilled on an old pair of tennis shoes, no smell after a couple of wash/rinse cycles.

When I get gas for the lawn mower I always put the can in the front passenger side footwell, and then slide the seat all the way forward to hold it. I'm always paranoid Ill have a traffic accident and have 5 gallons of gasoline splashed all over me and die in a spectacular ball of flame

Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 AM

I was talking about the trunk liner, but now I noticed the sides need cleaning too. They seem to be in the trunk area secured by some plastic buttons or clips. These can be removed (the plastic buttons) without damaging them or the trunk liner? Also, how does one clean the sides. They seem to be much more rugged and stiff.

It might be better to just buy a generic trunk liner for a 2002 Volvo s40, of course, and just install that?

Any thoughts.

Respectfully.

Newport_j