Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Volvo S40 2.0 Diesel 2005 looses power when engine hot... DPF ? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S40 2.0 Diesel 2005 looses power when engine hot... DPF ? Please help.

Hi Guys,
I got my first Volvo S40 2.0 diesel, a few months ago. It is a very smart car, I love it!
Until a week ago it was a dream car, but since then when the engine gets to operational temperature (the temp gauge is half way up) there is no power, it does not pull right as it did it before.
The RPM is not going above 2800rpm...
In the sixth gear I'm barely able to get to 70mph and I have trouble overtaking lorries on the motorway. Its that bad.

There is no light on the dashboard, no smoke.

I've connected an EL327 OBD2 adapter and got a single fault code: P2002-Powertrain, Particulate Trap Efficiency Below Threshold bank1
I know this is a generic error.

This week I had an appointment at the Volvo garage in Kent, where I've been told that they need at least 3-4 hours to investigate the issue. They asked for £400 just to know what the problem is. They had one and a half pages of Volvo proprietary error codes, they said that they need to investigate each one of them.
Also the Service Advisor told me to try to drive the car in a lower gear at higher RPM (above 3000), that might solve the problem... but unfortunately it didn't. Especially because the engine does not go above 2800 after it has warmed up.

However, the problem did sort itself out twice, but I cannot identify what I've done. But now it is back and the problem occurs before the engine gets fully warm.

I know that the car has a DPF, which needs to be replaced filled in 10.000 miles. But I've read that the DPF can last longer then 35k.

What do you think is the most cost effective solution to this problem? What did you do to solve it?

Is there a way to read the Volvo specific error codes and parameters with a simple ELM327 ODB2 adapter in order to check what is actually wrong with the car and adapt my driving style to do a regeneration of the DPF from time to time.

Thank you for reading this long post, but hope you can help me out.
Cheers guys!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

assuming the diesel is set up similar to a petro engine, I'd look at a few things:

1) cold air intake flap. If the intake air thermostat is failed you could be pulling in warm air, upsetting the mix when at temperature

2) engine coolant temp sensor - if you don't notice any changes to the dash gauge, probably not involved.

3) is there a fuel preheater? Check for any relays or fuses for this or the intake thermostat?

My sense is the cold air intake... Perhaps volvowiringdiagrams.com can give you some idea of what's in place...

Old 05-25-2015, 05:12 PM

Thanx a lot for the good advices, I'd like to check some of these things...
Answering to your post I can say:
1) how can I check this one if is failed? now the issue appears when the engine is not at the temperature...
2) nothing can be noticed on the dash, the engine warms up as usual and stay at normal temp, no over heating or so ...
3) have no idea if the car has fuel preheater or not, I'll check the wiring diagrams that you pointed, there are much appreciated.
You do not not even think is the Diesel Particulate Filter?

Cheers,
OB

Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I did some reading on the DPF and yes that could be the cause as it can put the car into limp mode. Seems the DPF is very sensitive to specific driving styles and posts suggest a wide range of frequency of servicing particularly with other makes/models using the same system as the 2005 Volvos. Not sure if this is an easy self service item or if you can try the "retraining" driving process a few types noted on some of the other boards. Worth a try in my view since it sounds like its a common issue area for that generation diesel.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is primarily a USA forum. We don't have S40 diesels over here. Try volvoforums.org.uk.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Hi there,
I knew that this is a USA Volvo forum.
But I did not know that there are no S40 Diesels over there.
Although some members try to give me advices.
I'm a member on the volvoforums.org.uk no answer from there unfortunately.

Cheers anyway,

Kind regards,
OB

Old 08-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Default Volvo s40 problems

Hi Otto,

Have you fixed your car? I have the same problem, but for now it is not every time when i drive. I have diagnostic equipment (volvo dice), but it will be avaliable only in weekend (lended it to my friend). Maybe we can sort it out if it isn't done jet?

Thanks for answer.