Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Volvo S40 FWD T5 clutch fluid leaking at air vent pipe?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Volvo S40 FWD T5 clutch fluid leaking at air vent pipe?

Hi Everyone,

The other day my clutch pedal suddenly would not return, the clutch would not fully disengage when the clutch pedal was fully pressed, and it was very difficult to shift the shift lever.

After looking underneath the car, I saw what I assume is clutch fluid leaking from the "air vent pipe" which I at first thought was the slave cylinder because it had a bleeder looking thing, but it is not. There is very little information online about it and I think it's kind of unique to these transmission or Volvo. So I was hoping someone here can tell me what exactly it does, and the correct procedure for replacing it. I'm just concerned because I know air will be introduced into the system, I don't know what it's really connected to, and I don't know if fluid coming out of this component is caused by some other problem.

You can see it on the diagram here. Item number 6.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this fixed soon so I can drive to work!

Davis

Old 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM

#6 connects the slave cylinder to the pipe, it also allow the clutch lines to be bleed, purging air out of the system.

The metal clips hold the piece in place. All you have to do is to lift the two clips out, then pull.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by tryingbe
#6 connects the slave cylinder to the pipe, it also allow the clutch lines to be bleed, purging air out of the system.

The metal clips hold the piece in place. All you have to do is to lift the two clips out, then pull.
Thanks tryingbe! So it's pretty easy to do myself then. Then do I just bleed the clutch using the bleeder on the air vent pipe? Also, a faulty slave cylinder would not cause this component to leak right? The dealer is trying to get me to pay for a full diagnostic and saying it could be the master or slave cylinder or something else even though I told them the leak is right at the air vent pipe.

Last edited by davislau; 09-24-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:24 PM

Okay, so mine is a little different, and it has a long piece that goes inside the transmission. I'm not sure how to get it out. Does anyone know? Here's what it looks like underneath my car:

And here's what the whole part looks like. It's the long section that goes inside the transmission.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Note to self, do not buy a newer Volvo. I'm thinking transmission has to come out. At that point, you might as well put in a new flywheel, clutch set, slave cylinder.. $3000 repair bill easy.