Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?

I was driving along to work today when a orange-red triangle light appeared on the dash of my 2002 Volvo s0. Inside was an outline of the back end of a car. There seemed to be a drop in speed, but not significantly so. the triangle was located directly under the full gauge.

I pulled into a parking lot and turned off the engine and waited 5 minutes and then started the engine again; the light was gone.

I am just curious as to what happened. It clearly was a temporary signal, but it did have an effect on the car.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 07-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

was the icon a triangle with a car and swervy lines? If so, that's the DSC warning (dynamic stability control) warning light. If you were driving straight on dry roads and it lit up, it could be a wheel sensor or your ABS controller board acting up.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:59 AM

I believe that you are correct. It has gone from occasionally lighting to be on almost all of the time. It does not show up in my OBD so I guess it is going to be hard to find.

Any ideas on what to check first?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 08-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

You may need a better OBD2 reader as not all will read the ABS or Chassis code sets. If its a wheel sensor, there should be a code to tell you which one. I do have a spare ABS controller I can sell you (for the S40 Gen 1s 2000-2004) that bolts onto the ABS valve body if you are interested.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:12 PM

I was going to buy the Autel MD 702. It seems very powerful. Could this help?

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 08-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

For that price, get VIDA and DiCE. Then you'll not only be able to pull and clear all codes, but you'll have a complete service manual for the car.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:25 AM

I already have VIDA and DICE and I could never get it to install on my laptop computer. This is somewhat embarrassing since I was a computer science and math major in college and I work with computers 8 hours a day. You had to have a certain version of Windows 7 or you would never get it to install. We had a different version and the upgrade was very expensive to the correct version was very expensive.

After awhile I just gave up. Now we have Windows 10 on our laptop and I can only wonder if one can install VIDA DICE on a computer with Windows 10.

Is there a forum where I can post that question and see who answers? If so please give the website address.

I do not usually use Windows or Microsoft products if I can avoid it.

Anyway can I install VIDA DICE software on Windows 10? If so , how?

Thank in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Last edited by Newport_j; 08-08-2016 at 07:27 AM.