Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 S60 Audio problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2014 S60 Audio problem

Hi All,

I have a problem when I want to listen mp3 from a USB device. The problem is that the radio/car doesn't play some of the audio mp3s and I have no idea why. It says "the band cannot be read" and immediately jumps to the next track. The formats and the extensions are the same, no any differences between the tracks.
If you have any ideas please let me know!
Thank you!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you try encoding the cd with a different mp3 writing software? Or use a different software to convert to mp3. Are the file names longer or have particular characters (such a a space) in the songs that don't play?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM

These mp3s are not from a CD, individual mp3s, some of them are downloaded.
Their names are ordinary, nothing special about the characters.
I couldn't find any speciality about the tracks that could not be played.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM

Do they play normal from headphones or other devices. Also what are you playing these from an ipod or?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Paulbkr86
Do they play normal from headphones or other devices. Also what are you playing these from an ipod or?
These are absolutely ordinary mp3s, nothing special. Yes, I can play them everywhere without any problem, this is the first time I have faced with a problem like this.
I connect the USB stick/pendrive to the car and some of the mp3s cannot be played, the car says "the band cannot be read".

Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by seglare
These are absolutely ordinary mp3s, nothing special. Yes, I can play them everywhere without any problem, this is the first time I have faced with a problem like this.
I connect the USB stick/pendrive to the car and some of the mp3s cannot be played, the car says "the band cannot be read".

This might be of help in understanding the error:
MP3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks to me like either the MP3s themselves are somehow nonstandard, or the software on your car needs to be updated. Have you taken it to the dealer and shown them the issue? At the very least, they can try your USB drive in another car to see if it is an issue unique to your car or not.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by pauljordantx
This might be of help in understanding the error:
MP3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks to me like either the MP3s themselves are somehow nonstandard, or the software on your car needs to be updated. Have you taken it to the dealer and shown them the issue? At the very least, they can try your USB drive in another car to see if it is an issue unique to your car or not.
I have asked the dealer but their only idea was the bit rate mode. I have checked it and it seems the problem is something else...
I don't want to go to the dealer every day and they didn't have any other idea, but if the problem won't be solved I will visit them.

Have you ever updated your car's software?

Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 AM

I have asked the dealer but their only idea was the bit rate mode. I have checked it and it seems the problem is something else...
I don't want to go to the dealer every day and they didn't have any other idea, but if the problem won't be solved I will visit them.

Have you ever updated your car's software?

You say the problem is not the bit rate, but what bit rates have had problems with?

I don't think I suggested going to the dealer every day. If you've already been there and don't want to go back, that might limit figuring out the problem.

No, I have not updated my car's software myself, because I don't have the equipment to do that. But my dealer did update my car's software about a year after I bought it (2013 model purchased in 2012).

When you were at the dealer, did you ask them (or did they tell you) if your car has the most up-to-date software?

When you were at the dealer, did you ask if you could plug your USB drive with your problem MP3s into another S60 to see if the problem was unique to your car, or if the problem was really with the MP3s?

Have you tried to use any program on your computer (such as ITunes or Windows Media Player) to confirm that the band or artist tag of the MP3 is correct?

What size USB drive are you using?

How is the USB drive formatted (FAT32)?

It is likely that you are going to have to do some detective work to figure out this problem, since no one has posted with the answer.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 AM

You say the problem is not the bit rate, but what bit rates have had problems with?

I don't think I suggested going to the dealer every day. If you've already been there and don't want to go back, that might limit figuring out the problem.

No, I have not updated my car's software myself, because I don't have the equipment to do that. But my dealer did update my car's software about a year after I bought it (2013 model purchased in 2012).

When you were at the dealer, did you ask them (or did they tell you) if your car has the most up-to-date software?

When you were at the dealer, did you ask if you could plug your USB drive with your problem MP3s into another S60 to see if the problem was unique to your car, or if the problem was really with the MP3s?

Have you tried to use any program on your computer (such as ITunes or Windows Media Player) to confirm that the band or artist tag of the MP3 is correct?

What size USB drive are you using?

How is the USB drive formatted (FAT32)?

It is likely that you are going to have to do some detective work to figure out this problem, since no one has posted with the answer.
This is a 2014 S60 and it's just May, so I think the software is up to date, but I have not asked it. :-)

Unfortunately I didn't ask to try the USB device in another S60. It would have been a good idea.

What do you mean under artist tag? Every music player/software can play the mp3s.

I use a 6GB USB drive. Does it matter?

As I remember I tried the FAT32 formatted drives and the NTFS formatted drives as well.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM

This is a 2014 S60 and it's just May, so I think the software is up to date, but I have not asked it. :-)

Unfortunately I didn't ask to try the USB device in another S60. It would have been a good idea.

What do you mean under artist tag? Every music player/software can play the mp3s.

I use a 6GB USB drive. Does it matter?

As I remember I tried the FAT32 formatted drives and the NTFS formatted drives as well.
You really need to ask the dealer to check the software version and confirm that the software is not the issue.

Yes, it would be very good to try some of the problem MP3s in another S60.

Inside the MP3 are structures called tags, and one of the tags is where the artist is stored. Since the error message refers to 'band', it seems logical that maybe there is a problem with the artist tag in the MP3, even if other devices can read and play the MP3. Those other devices may not be as picky as your S60 in terms of the MP3 file following all the details of the MP3 specification. You say 'every' player can play the MP3, but apparently that's not true, because your S60 can't play it (right?).

It seems unlikely that you have a 6 GB drive, as drives come in sizes that are powers of 2: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, etc. Do you mean 16 GB? Yes, the size of the drive may make a difference. You might want to try a different USB drive, and specifically one of a different size.

You didn't write anything about the bit rate. If you tell me what bit rate or rates the problem MP3s have, I can try that bit rate on my S60 and see if I see any issues.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:38 AM

You really need to ask the dealer to check the software version and confirm that the software is not the issue.

Yes, it would be very good to try some of the problem MP3s in another S60.

Inside the MP3 are structures called tags, and one of the tags is where the artist is stored. Since the error message refers to 'band', it seems logical that maybe there is a problem with the artist tag in the MP3, even if other devices can read and play the MP3. Those other devices may not be as picky as your S60 in terms of the MP3 file following all the details of the MP3 specification. You say 'every' player can play the MP3, but apparently that's not true, because your S60 can't play it (right?).

It seems unlikely that you have a 6 GB drive, as drives come in sizes that are powers of 2: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, etc. Do you mean 16 GB? Yes, the size of the drive may make a difference. You might want to try a different USB drive, and specifically one of a different size.

You didn't write anything about the bit rate. If you tell me what bit rate or rates the problem MP3s have, I can try that bit rate on my S60 and see if I see any issues.
I still don't think there would be any problem with the tags... What can be wrong with them? Special characters, unknown characters, what else?
When I said every player I meant every other music player except the car of course. :-)

Yes you are right, that was my fault, I use an 8GB drive, I just have 6GB data on it. :-)

In my opinion the bit rates can't be the problem, because the most of the mp3s have 128 Kbps and in CBR mode but the problematic mp3s have the same parameters.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Unhappy

I have experienced the same issue with MP3. I noticed if i convert MP3 with older windows system ( vista ), my volvo S60 could read that, but with other PC running windows 7 or 8 - bands are not readable... My volvo is 1.5 years old. My wife's toyota could read all MP3 on the USB...

Old 09-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by stevenacs
I have experienced the same issue with MP3. I noticed if i convert MP3 with older windows system ( vista ), my volvo S60 could read that, but with other PC running windows 7 or 8 - bands are not readable... My volvo is 1.5 years old. My wife's toyota could read all MP3 on the USB...
I write this reply to everyone!
It seems the problem is solved. The issue was the LAME encoding, somewhy this Volvo can't read the latest version of the LAME encoding which is from 3.99.x When I changed the encoding to a previous version for example 3.95.x as I remember - but I can check it for you if you would like it - the mp3 became readable immediately. The only thing you need is a program which can edit audio files.
I hope this will help to anyone who experienced the same problem.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 AM

I write this reply to everyone!
It seems the problem is solved. The issue was the LAME encoding, somewhy this Volvo can't read the latest version of the LAME encoding which is from 3.99.x When I changed the encoding to a previous version for example 3.95.x as I remember - but I can check it for you if you would like it - the mp3 became readable immediately. The only thing you need is a program which can edit audio files.
I hope this will help to anyone who experienced the same problem.
I need some help with this as I'm having the same issue with specific mp3s that had no issues in another vehicle I traded in (2011 bmw 135i). I downloaded the 3.95 and am unable to get it to work. So using LAME 3.99 is what causes this problem? I'm not sure how to change the mp3s that won't work to a previous version. This problem is really annoying as the vehicle is a 2014...wtf.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hathoway
I need some help with this as I'm having the same issue with specific mp3s that had no issues in another vehicle I traded in (2011 bmw 135i). I downloaded the 3.95 and am unable to get it to work. So using LAME 3.99 is what causes this problem? I'm not sure how to change the mp3s that won't work to a previous version. This problem is really annoying as the vehicle is a 2014...wtf.
Dear Hathoway,

Yes, the LAME 3.99 causes the problem. Or I would say, this was the problem with my car. I have a 2014 Volvo too so I think the same, it's really annoying.
The solution was an audio program as I have mentioned, but if you really can't manage this issue I can convert the wished mp3 for you. But it's not a long term solution.
If you have any question don't hesitate to write me because I was so angry when there was nobody who could help me. Anyway, it looks like it's a Volvo specific issue because I haven't experienced this with other cars including Audis and BMWs.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

I have a problem when I want to listen mp3 from a USB device. The problem is that the radio/car doesn't play some of the audio mp3s and I have no idea why. It says "the band cannot be read" and immediately jumps to the next track. The formats and the extensions are the same, no any differences between the tracks.
If you have any ideas please let me know!
Thank you!
Do you have sensus Touch by the way? Sounds like the mp3's are corrupted. I've seen that before, the way the file is encrypted.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:20 AM

Vida,

There isn't any problem with the mp3s, I can use them anywhere else. They didn't want to work only in the car. :-) I don't have the Sensus Touch.
As I mentioned before, it really looks the problem is that this Sensus somewhy can't read the 3.99.x LAME encoding format.
Strange...

Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vida
Do you have sensus Touch by the way? Sounds like the mp3's are corrupted. I've seen that before, the way the file is encrypted.
Vida,

There isn't any problem with the mp3s, I can use them anywhere else. They didn't want to work only in the car. :-) I don't have the Sensus Touch.
As I mentioned before, it really looks the problem is that this Sensus somewhy can't read the 3.99.x LAME encoding format.
Strange...
As Seglare has stated, its the encoding. I downloaded WinLAME and encoded some MP3s I recently purchased/downloaded that would not work in my S60 but now do. Before encoding them they did not work, were unreadable.

This apparently is the fix, really silly though that the software version that Volvo uses does not work with seemingly standard MP3 encoding. As I said earlier my 2011 bmw 135i had no problem with the same mp3s.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:47 AM

I think the same, it's quite interesting why can't the Sensus read these mp3s...
It should.
But finally, I'm very happy that I can manage this issue and can use my mp3s, it is essential especially during long drivings .

Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM

I am having the same issue playing MP3s (unreadable and skips to next song) in my 2015 S60. I am excited to try the LameMp3 converter mentioned earlier. Below are some of my tests and obersavations.

1 I only have the issue with 5% of my MP3's and the tend to be newer files.
2) The file type is MP3 (not mp4, etc).
3) The songs that won't play do not have a common bit rate factor.
4) The size of the USB drive had no impact (both formatted prior to testing).
5) These same files play in my 2011 VW and 2014 Cadillac.
6) I tried a powered usb drive, no change.
7) Renamed the files (no change)
8) Checked permissions (nothing restricted)
9) The MP3s were purchased legally from two different online retailers.
10) I had the dealer check for sensus updates. The version is current (as of 10/13/14)
11) It's not a specific artist or recording company.

My local dealer is great, but Volvo claims there is not an issue. Looking forward to trying the lamemp3 to resave the file and test. It's not ideal to convert files in order to play them, but I could live with it.

Quick Reply: 2014 S60 Audio problem