Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Active Xenon Dipped Beam Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Xenon Dipped Beam Troubleshooting

Hi,

I have Active Xenon Lights in my Volvo S60 - 2008 (They move with the steering wheel).

I have purchased the car sometime ago, and I was getting the message "Dipped Beam Failure" when I had purchased the car. When I gave the car to service center, they told me "BOTH HEADLAMP BULBS LOW BEAM NOT WORKING".

I told them to replace it. A couple of days later, they told me that there is no problem with the bulbs, and they are trying to locate the problem. Later they informed me that the wiring and all is good and they cannot find any problem elsewhere and both the Headlamp Control Module needs to be replaced.

For doing this task, they were charging me $640 for the HCM, $100 labour and $70 for HCM Reload Software (Total $810)

I just took the car back because i wanted to attempt a low cost solution.

A few weeks later, I noticed Valeo 6G Ballast in my glove box.
It looks like this - 6G VALEO HID XENON HEADLAMP OEM BALLAST PART NO: 89034934 - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store | HIDS Direct Ltd. for HID Xenon kits, Xenon bulbs, MTEC bulbs, LED's, Car Parts and Air Suspension

I am stuck with few questions in my mind.

Before asking those questions, please have a look at the attached images and read the comments below.

-The parking lights work, the HIGHEST BEAM (HEADLIGHTS/MAIN BEAM) works.
-The projector type lights which move with the steering wheel dont work
-The service centre told me HCM module needs to be changed (but I am not sure of their diagnosis because they made a mistake before that its only my headlamp bulbs that need to be fixed)
- I dont know from where the Valeo 6G Ballast came from, but i think its from my car

Questions-

1) Have a look at my headlights, and projector lights. Can someone tell me which lights are which?
Which one is Xenon, which one is Bi-Xenon and which one is HID, and which one is Halogen.

2) Can someone tell me if the Valeo 6G Ballast is same as THE headlight control module. If not what is the difference?

3) Where can i find the valeo 6G ballast in the car? What does it do?

4) Where can i find the headlamp control module in the car?

5) If I replace the Headlamp control module myself (by ordering it online), is software reload necessary?

6) Any other method for cheap fix / or better diagnosis?

Thanks for reading so much and I can really appreaciate if you can answer my questions and help me get a cheaper alternative to fix my dipped beams.

Attached Thumbnails Active Xenon Dipped Beam Troubleshooting-img_20140802_210000.jpg   Active Xenon Dipped Beam Troubleshooting-img_20140814_233333.jpg   Active Xenon Dipped Beam Troubleshooting-img_20140823_173205.jpg   Active Xenon Dipped Beam Troubleshooting-img_20140823_173223.jpg