Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alarm Triggered Check Car message...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 AM
nnj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Triggered Check Car message...

I've a 2004 S60 base model.

I've searched and found that for a few others, this message appearing with not other obvious reasons or 'activations' of the alarm (although often preceded with message 'Alarm Service Required', means something needs replacing...

Others have suggested replacing the siren or the battery is what is required. I activated my alarm front he fob and the siren is audibly very loud -- so it seems both components are working. Thus I'm not sure what I should (or do nothing and wait for it to fail).

I'd be happy to just disconnect the alarm entirely, is this doable without reprogramming of computer? If yes, how?

As an aside, does anyone have a PDF or electronic version of service guide? I've seen posts to replace alarm battery but the steps were vague at best (lift wheel, remove alarm).

Thanks!!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The panic button on the remote does not use the alarm siren. It uses the horn. You most likely need to replace the siren. Get in the car and lock it with the remote. Wait a minute, then open the door. If the lights flash but there is no sound, the siren is bad.

Software is needed to deactivate the alarm.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM
nnj

Thanks, that was exactly it. I've found some other posts with screen shots of VIDA on how to remove the siren... However, I've seen some discussion regarding replaceable batteries in the siren. Can replacing the battery and/or the entire siren be done without need to 'adjust' the computer (eg. no visit to dealership)?

Any compatible aftermarket sirens or part numbers I should search for? (I don't have service manual).

Also, as an aside, is there any online location (or file-share) to obtain a copy of the service manual?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I've never taken one apart to even check what sort of batteries are in there. The whole unit is replaced. There is a procedure to initiate the alarm system after replacement but I think it will work without doing it. I've never tried, always just initiated it before shipping the car.

Not sure about aftermarket options. I doubt it.

Not sure about free copies of VIDA. They are on eBay though.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 PM
nnj

While procrastinating the repair I've noticed that while the alarm had continued to go off, the lights rarely flash anymore and just a faint alarm sound can be heard (as if amplifier in siren is broken). I'm inclined to let it just continue on this way till it dies completely. Thoughts?

Alternately, I'm considering just removing the failed module without replacing... Any undesirable side effects of doing so?

A replacement seems to be near $200 which is about 10% the autos value according to KBB .. a no go in my book...

Or, if anyone has a junked one for close to zero dollars they'd want to donate, I'd pay shipping...

Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 AM
nnj

As a followup, does anyone know if simply removing (and not replacing) the module will effect any other aspect of the vehicle?

I plan to just remove it and hope that doing so doesn't prevent the car from starting/running as normal...

Thoughts?

As to replacing the inner wheel well fender, I'd read that the plastic (pin in the center) rivets work... True? Any specific size needed?