Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Can someone tell me what this whirring noise is? (YouTube Link)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone tell me what this whirring noise is? (YouTube Link)

This is an intermittent noise. It doesn't happen every time i drive. It usually only happens when i step on the gas, not too hard, and let up while driving. I can make it go away by pushing on the gas again, or shifting it into neutral, rev up the engine once, then it'll go away. Sometimes if i step lightly again and let off, it'll come back.

It stayed on after i parked and i was able to get the video.

I'm thinking maybe a belt/tensioner pulley? Its weird because it sounds like its coming from the head, i'm not sure. It does not screech or make the noise when the car starts up. Its only after driving for a little bit. Also seems to happen more when its hot out.

I usually always have the a/c running lately, i tried turning the A/C off while the noise was happening, but the noise still continued.

Read something somewhere about the power steering fluid, it is full. No Check engine light. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2005 Volvo S60 2.4 non-turbo
212k miles (A lot i know, haven't had any issues until now. I got the car around 110k miles and i'm not sure if the belt was replaced before then or not)

Last edited by k2xblade; 07-19-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easier to pick a long tube and with care bring it close to the parts to hear where the noise comes from.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM

Ok so I sort of figured out whats going on. I had the car running in park, the noise was happening, I randomly took out the oil dipstick, and the noise stopped. I put the dipstick back (sealing the tube) and the noise came back. When i take the dipstick out i can hear a rush of air, so i'm assuming that somewhere around the head of the engine there is an air leak.....the only question is where. I think i just need to go around and start tightening some bolts.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Wait to see what others think, but I guess it's a blocked PCV system (typical) causing pressure inside the crankcase with air trying to escape past engine seals. Replace asap the pcv box and it's hoses, remove the oil pan and clean the pcv oil passage inside. The engine seals will soon start to leak and might require replacement as well.

Also, the timing belt has 100k miles on it, it's time to replace it along with the tensioner and the idler pulley. If the water pump it's the original one, it needs replacing at 200k miles (get the part from Volvo, the aftermarket pumps seem to fail easily). I would have the job done to a trustful mechanic, since it's quite sensitive.

Last edited by oragex; 07-24-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by oragex
Wait to see what others think, but I guess it's a blocked PCV system (typical) causing pressure inside the crankcase with air trying to escape past engine seals. Replace asap the pcv box and it's hoses, remove the oil pan and clean the pcv oil passage inside. The engine seals will soon start to leak and might require replacement as well.

Also, the timing belt has 100k miles on it, it's time to replace it along with the tensioner and the idler pulley. If the water pump it's the original one, it needs replacing at 200k miles (get the part from Volvo, the aftermarket pumps seem to fail easily). I would have the job done to a trustful mechanic, since it's quite sensitive.
thanks for the reply! The noise sounds like its coming from somewhere around the head, thats where its the loudest, not sure if that matters. I'll look into replacing the pcv system parts.

I have the belts and pulley's on order and will be replacing them this weekend.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 AM

after a bit of research, some other people had the same problem and it turned out to be the breather box. I'll be replacing that as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by k2xblade
thanks for the reply! The noise sounds like its coming from somewhere around the head, thats where its the loudest, not sure if that matters.
it could be that pressure is escaping past the camshaft seals then. I would check see if there is oil leaking at those seals. there is a plastic cover over the upper part of the timing belt where the camshaft seals are, it takes an allen key to remove it (it also has a clip on each side), it will give a quick look to the seals and the timing belt.

one trick until the repairs is to run with the dipstick slightly removed to let some of the pressure escape by there.

The thing with the oil pan is important and often overlooked. The breather box has an oil passage inside the oil pan that gets clogged as well. Before removing the oil pan, this passage can be checked when the box is removed, by trying to push air inside the openings in the engine block.