Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Car is 2 weeks old and the alt is out .

Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is 2 weeks old and the alt is out .

Today I went out to the car which I bought 2 weeks ago and out 200 miles on it and I heard a strange whining noise. I looked further in to detail and the alternator has a internal plastic fan spinning freely. The alt works fine it just whines. So I started researching a alternator thinking $160 would buy me one and not only did I find out it could cost me 500plus that is not available as a reman. They usually have the wrong volt reg on them so I'm looking t buying a dealer item at $ 700!!!! Wow .
Car has 65k 2007 s60. Is this a common problem?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on my cars alternator. I did finally go to autozone and bought a dura last alternator for $180.000. I have researched on the forum that other have installed several alternators that did not work! This is the case for me as well. Once I got the new alternator in place it immediately threw a CAUTION voltage error code on the dash. This happened after 5 seconds of running. I took the alt back off and purchased a new eom unit from volvo. Once the eom was installed no issues what so ever! It cost me $650 with one year warranty. I also made new friends with mu Volvo parts center. They informed me of several issues with cars they have and gave me a deal on my oil filters . Very helpful. Helped me find my service history and so on.
The problem with my 2007 s60 alternator is that it has a internal curve that after markets do not have . It regulates 75-140 amps. Remains have only a constant 140 amp supply with 12-14 volts. My volvo being sensitive as it is monitor this in more detail.
Here is what I encountered changing May alternator.
Remove serpentine belt
unbolt the power steering pump x3 bolts. Fold it back out of the way.
Remove inter cooler boost hose
Remove light harness from passenger front headlight
Here is where you need to find the alt bolts. There are four bolts 10 mm holding the ac compressor on. Loosen the bottom two bolts. Remove the top two bolts. Last is a bolt perpendicular to the engine just below and left of the power steering but just above and left of the alt unit. Remove it.
On the back of the alt are two wires. The small one simply grab it and slide it off. The other is your 12v power supply. Make sure batt is disconnected. Use. A13mm socket to loosen and remove.
Here is where removing the alt gets tricky. There is very little room for the alt to come out. It hits the power steering engine bracket and coolest hose veery tight space.. I managed to put a jack under my engine oil pan toward s the front and slightly jack it up making sure not to bust my oil pan. This moved the engine back enough to allow my alt to barley com out of its hole. You can take the water coolant hose off but I did not want to loose my coolant . And it's out!
Install your new alt and reverse procedure !
Do not buy a reman unit only buy a OEM volvo alternator or you will waste your time!