Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine turned off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine turned off while driving

I have a 2002 volvo s60 base model, and tonight while I was driving, the engine turned off, but all the electronics were still on. All the indication lights on the dashboard turned on, and it seemed like the lights dimmed a little bit when this happened. I tried to start the car up, and it wouldn't start. The engine would not even try to start. I shut everything off that I didn't need, and it started up and got home. This seemed odd considering all the electronics were still working, but the engine shut off. I thought it could be the alternator, but all the electronics were working. I am not a mechanic, and my mechanical knowledge is limited. I would appreciate if anyone has any information onto how this could have happened. Thank you

Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Default not good

sorry you experience this event, scary the least to say. Unfortunately these kind of problems are the hardest to diagnose. If you have someone with a decent code reader, maybe it left traces of it in the computer. Did the check engine light came on when (or after) it happen? Sounds like a short to me & if you have a circuit breaker in the ignition system that would explain why you were able to restart it afterwards. Was the car in the accident at any point? Try moving the wiring harness around the coils with engine running CAREFULLY and see if you can recreate the shutdown. Sorry not much else I can suggest.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try cleaning your battery terminal post and look for any loose connection on the the
live wire from the battery to the engine compartment connection. If there is loose contact on that line, it is possible to loose power. It happened intermitently on my S70 and sure enough the wire connection on the battery post clamp was somewhat loose.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:23 PM

I had the same thing happen to my son's 2004 S60. Just stopped running. I pulled over the shoulder and coasted to a stop. Turned it off and it started up again like nothing was wrong. I'll check the battery posts this afternoon. The other weird thing that happened earlier in the day is there was a loud squealing sound from the engine for about 30 seconds then it stopped. No dash lights came on and it drove fine. Couldn't make that happen again and the belt / wheels look fine.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:50 PM

I wanted to give an update on my Volvo. I ended up getting the car fixed for the 7000th time and by the January 2012, the car was having throttle issues which was a known issue with the S60's. I took it to my mechanic, and he said to bring it to the dealer since it was a recall, and I can get it fixed for free. I took the car to the dealer, and yes the throttle issue was there, however the code that was not coming up on the computer matched the codes for the recall.
I looked up the problem online and it had all the symptoms that my car was having that was part of the recall. I ended up driving the car for a few more months then ended up trading it for a newer car. I don't miss this car and I hope no one else has as many issues as I did with my Volvo.