Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Help me Troubleshoot Boost Fluctations Under Partial Throttle - Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help me Troubleshoot Boost Fluctations Under Partial Throttle - Video Inside

2002 Volvo S60 2.4T AWD

RICA Stage 2 Tune
Cone Filter
IPD HD TCV and silicone lines
New Stock CBV
3" Catless OBX DP
EST R Catback

In past weeks:
New Spark Plugs
Epoxied PTC leak
New Fuel Filter
Cleaned MAF
New Ignition Coils
New MAP Sensor

Basically I'm seeing/feeling big bounces in psi once over 10-12psi when using partial throttle. If WOT it smooths out but is still somewhat noticeable. You can feel the power surging when the boost varies, not just the gauge bouncing. I did some vac/boost leak testing and found the PTC leaking so I epoxied it into the turbo inlet pipe - no difference.

Also plan to replace the PCV system in the next week or so.

Here is a vid from this morning, sorry about the quality and the fact that it's sideways. Nonetheless you can clearly see what it happening. I greatly appreciate any and all help with this matter as it is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance guy!!
-NJGB

After swapping back to stock TCV, replacing coils and MAP sensor it looks like this-

Fresh Video as of this morning:

No Codes Stored as of This Morning.

Please share any helpful ideas, thanks in advance.

-NJGB

Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM

45 views and no replies? no ideas guys?

I'm looking into the WGA setting or a massive elusive boost leak.

Which Volvo forum is the most technically savvy? I was posting on Swedespeed and only got a few ideas, figured I'd stop by here but maybe Matthews Volvo forum might be better?

Thanks for looking, feel free to leave suggestions.
-NJGB

Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow that is weird!
Looks kind of like the ECU is shutting it down for some reason.
Have you checked to see what the fuel pressure is doing when acting up?
But really looks like ECU or Fuel is cutting back for a reason.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Tech!! Good to hear from you man.

No I haven't been able to measure fuel pressure yet. I'm going to pickup a new fuel pressure gauge w/ Schrader valve fitting, at least to check at idle/parked. How would I go about measuring while under boost?

Both of those vids are with the RICA Stage 2 tune loaded, the first with the IPD HD TCV and the second with the stock TCV. Big difference just by swapping that, it runs at least 10-12psi solid with the IPD one before it starts to bounce and only 5psi with the stock before it starts bouncing. Weirder still is that at WOT with the IPD TCV it will hold 16psi till near redline. So I don't think the ECU is cutting boost because of knock.

I detuned it tonight before I left work and it runs 5psi max on the stock tune now. I used to be able to hit 8 and hold 6psi when I got the car. I just reinstalled the IPD TCV when I got home and will see it it makes a difference on the stock tune.

I am also working on building a better boost leak tester. I am going to try to test from the turbo inlet to the throttle body @ 0 - 18psi and see if I can't find a leak or two like that. I have only pressurized from the MAF back with low pressure, don't want to over pressurize anything. I am either going to build a psi gauge into my boost leak jar tester thing or run the compressor really low on the regulator from 0-20psi. I mean, I need to test at the max boost psi and not just guess how much psi Im pressurizing....

Maybe the IPD TCV allows the compressor to more overcome a hidden boost leak??

Could this be from a failing WGA? I have never adjusted mine but can they wear out?

Lastly, I have some data logs that show some parameters when this happens. I'll attach them in a minute here.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator

For the fuel pressure just drive with the gauge by the windshield and see what the fuel pressure does when the boost goes wacky.

Yes I would get a good setup for testing for boost leaks.
I am going through boost leak issues right now. I have pretty much found out that my intercooler is leaking.

I doubt the wastegate is bad. So far I have never had to replace one.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Got to HighBloom Auto this morning and had Nick road test and scan the car.

Codes Stored are:

ECM 130A - Intake Air Leakage

ECM 6800 - TCV Signal High, Low, Missing

ECM 6814 - TCV Signal High, Low, Missing

It was recommended to replace the hard lines from the PCV trap to the Intake tube. These are the only PCV lines I didn't replace earlier when I was in there. He seemed to think the TCV stuff was more or less a side effect of the crankcase ventilation being clogged. I don't know but I guess I am going back under the manifold and at least check those hard lines to make sure they are not clogged. The low, rough idle is also attributed to this same hard line clog.

"The Fault Code ECM-130A is set if the value of the long term AIR trim part load (air mass correction value) and the short term air trim become excessive. Unfortunately the short term air trim is not available to be viewed in VIDA, but if we have the fault code then the Short term can be assumed excessive. These adaptations should not be used as a diagnosis on their own but as an indication of what path to take next. First look at the fuel trims (Lambda adaptations), to evaluate the possibility of air leakage, then: if we have less air bypassing the throttle than normal (< 5kg/h & or <1), we might suspect that the crankcase breather may be blocked and we can use the diagnostic method in TNN 25-149 B to check that. If the amount of air bypassing the throttle is higher than normal (>10kg/h & or >1), we could use the tools to pressurize the intake system and check for leakage. Do not forget to check the purge valve as a leak source, it is easy to overlook as in some cars the outlet from the system is at the back of the car. It is best checked off the vehicle."

What do you think Tech??

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

That line being clogged can cause issue.
Also did you clean the throttle body?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM

I just wiped down the barrel of the throttle body with some electronic throttle body cleaner.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Administrator

I would check the hoses good. I have done a ton of the boxes and hoses.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 AM

I ordered Volvo part #30650578 Breather Tube Assembly - the only part of the PCV system I didn't replace a few weeks ago. I am picking it up today and will replace this weekend.

What do you recommend for the TCV codes and erratic TCV operation? both stock and ipd units now click after start up and don't regulate boost they way they should...

Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Administrator

I wonder if the TCV issue is something in the tune portion.
How fast do the TCV codes come back?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with the tunes, as I have had both IPD and RICA tunes, and the problem has existed with both and carries over to the stock tune. Right now I am running stock tune with stock TCV and it clicks at start up and then won't even hold 5psi steadily sometimes, jerking back and forth from 1-5psi even stock.

I was told to look for a short in the wiring and to test the voltage at the connector... does that makes sense?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Yes it does make sense.
But if it clicks on starting then I would think an ECU maybe sending an improper signal.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Is there any way the PTC could be loading the hotside of the TCV and making it flip out? I see they share a pathway via wiring diagram and I am suspect that the crankcase breather tube and PTC might be clogged.

Or what else would cause the ECU to send improper signal other than ECU failure?

I have seen clicking TCV mentioned a few other times but nothing really ever came of it?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

If you want to test the PTC theory unplug it. I do not believe even on your car there is a code that can be stored for the PTC being unplugged or bad.

Unplug the PTC and see if it fixes the click and if it boosts better.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:24 PM

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my 2001 s60 t5. Boost drop from 6-7 psi to 0 for a few sec and back to 6-7. Does it with the ipd hd tcv and stock tcv as well. Did you found out the problem?

Originally Posted by NJGreenBudd
2002 Volvo S60 2.4T AWD

RICA Stage 2 Tune
Cone Filter
IPD HD TCV and silicone lines
New Stock CBV
3" Catless OBX DP
EST R Catback

In past weeks:
New Spark Plugs
Epoxied PTC leak
New Fuel Filter
Cleaned MAF
New Ignition Coils
New MAP Sensor

Basically I'm seeing/feeling big bounces in psi once over 10-12psi when using partial throttle. If WOT it smooths out but is still somewhat noticeable. You can feel the power surging when the boost varies, not just the gauge bouncing. I did some vac/boost leak testing and found the PTC leaking so I epoxied it into the turbo inlet pipe - no difference.

Also plan to replace the PCV system in the next week or so.

Here is a vid from this morning, sorry about the quality and the fact that it's sideways. Nonetheless you can clearly see what it happening. I greatly appreciate any and all help with this matter as it is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance guy!!
-NJGB

After swapping back to stock TCV, replacing coils and MAP sensor it looks like this-

Fresh Video as of this morning:

No Codes Stored as of This Morning.

Please share any helpful ideas, thanks in advance.

-NJGB