Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Default high beam control won't stay engaged

When I pull forward the directional lever to engage the High Beam, it will not stay engaged. Therefore, I cannot use the high beam function. Any ideas as to what might be causing and how to fix? Thanks friends.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Is the headlight switch turned all the way to the right?
If not it is in daytime running lights and it will not work you have to turn it all the way to the right.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM

LOL! We used to get at least one a week in our dealership for this problem. You have to manually turn on the lights first.

That will be $89.00 please

1998 Chevy Metro 1.0L 5-speed (57 MPG)
1997 Geo Metro 1.0L 5-speed (53 MPG)
1995 Chevy 1500 4X4 Mud Truck (Who cares?)
Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM

celjock dont feel bad, i still dont know how to use my high beams other than to flash people. Other than that i cant get them to stay on, ive spent along time reading the manual to try and figure it out but it doesnt help. ha
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Johnny Mullet, et all. Ok, I'm the idiot. Yes, that was the correction. The odd thing is I bought this car pre-owned in October. It worked fine and then one day one of of my headlamps went dead only to work again after a manual adjustment. That's when I noticed the high-beam issue. I must have adjusted the light switch at that time. Now I can sleep at night!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM

the headlight switch must be on the D= beam icon in the 12 o'clock position rather than the 0 position at the 9 o'clock position.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 AM

Default ditto

2006 S60 2.5T 38K - I just got it a few weeks ago.

I had the same problem... flash to pass worked, I read the manual "pull the control back to position 4"... OK I did that over and over... Then I called my buddy the service manager at the local Volvo dealership... He laughed and said they get this call all the time from new and used car owners.

So far this is the worst thing I could find to bitch about.
Oh yea the radio kicked my butt for about a week also...

D
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 AM

Don't feel bad. I was fooled at first, too. The "problem" besides my ignoance, is that Volvo DRL's are simply the low beams so the driver has no automatic way to know that he's driving on the DRL's instead of "normal" low beams. There's no incentive to turn that light switch clockwise unless you want the running/parking lights on or the high beams.

Life was easier when the high beams were controlled by a toe-operated switch on the floorboard! (Anybody else old enough to have used those?)
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 AM

Oh Damn!

That was what that button on the floor was!

I thought that was the eject button, that's why I never pushed it.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 AM

Hidden headlamps were introduced in 1936, on the Cord 810. They were mounted in the front fenders, which were smooth until the lights were cranked out, each with its own small dash-mounted crank. They aided aerodynamics when the headlamps were not in use, and were among the Cord's signature design features.

Many notable cars used this feature, but no current volume-produced car models use hidden headlamps, because they present difficulties in complying with pedestrian-protection provisions recently added to international auto safety regulations, and because the mechanisms are costly and heavy. Hidden headlamps require one or more vacuum-operated servos and reservoirs, with associated plumbing and linkage, or electric motors, geartrains and linkages to raise the lamps to an exact position to assure correct aiming despite ice, snow and age.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 AM

Tags
2008, adjust, beam, beams, high, highbeam, lights, s80, stay, switch, turn, v40, v70, volvo, xc90