Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much should front brakes, rotors and front tires replacement cost? $930

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should front brakes, rotors and front tires replacement cost? $930

I have a 2008 S60.

The Rhode Island volvo dealer here quoted me $930 to change front brake pads , rotors and front tires.

I know I need new front tires and brake pads but the rotors look fine to me.

Is $930 too much? I saw online rotors+brake pad kits are ~$250. Tires can't be too much over $200 for front tires. So I figured it's $450 in parts. ( i doubt I need rotors anyway).

Am I getting ripped off?

Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds a little high, but not too out of the ordinary for dealer parts and some good tires.

Ask them for the rotor measurements. You can't tell with your eye if they are under spec or not.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say a good $300 in tires given the tire and wheel size for your vehicle, original front pads a good $150, rotors another $150. With the labor the quote sounds about right (and given it's in nyc).

Pass a finger on the front rotors border to feel how deep the friction surface has got. If it's more than 1/16" wear then it's kind of worn. Otherwise, and if the surface it's nice and shiny you can keep the rotors, no need to replace them just because you are putting new brake pads. It's also a perfect moment given the age of your vehicle to remove, clean and grease (if required) the caliper sliding pins, and refresh the brake fluid. Important to keep a balanced wear on the brake pads.

If you go with aftermarket, there are plenty of aftermarket brake pads over Ebay, just make sure to get a good brand so you don't regret afterwards. I've heard good things about Apec (about $100 shipped), but there are many other good brands.

There are also plenty of places that sell tires, you can use a site such as 1010tires.com to check out reviews about how silent or smooth driving each tire is rated.

Last edited by oragex; 09-09-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oragex
I would say a good $300 in tires given the tire and wheel size for your vehicle, original front pads a good $150, rotors another $150. With the labor the quote sounds about right (and given it's in nyc).

Pass a finger on the front rotors border to feel how deep the friction surface has got. If it's more than 1/16" wear then it's kind of worn. Otherwise, and if the surface it's nice and shiny you can keep the rotors, no need to replace them just because you are putting new brake pads. It's also a perfect moment given the age of your vehicle to remove, clean and grease (if required) the caliper sliding pins, and refresh the brake fluid. Important to keep a balanced wear on the brake pads.

If you go with aftermarket, there are plenty of aftermarket brake pads over Ebay, just make sure to get a good brand so you don't regret afterwards. I've heard good things about Apec (about $100 shipped), but there are many other good brands.

There are also plenty of places that sell tires, you can use a site such as 1010tires.com to check out reviews about how silent or smooth driving each tire is rated.

Thanks guys.

So Apec is better than volvo oem brake pads? What are better pads than OEM?

Also where do you get tires? Michelin is good right?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I work at a dealer, so we obviously use OEM brakes. But even for side jobs, I stick with OEM. I've seen too many squeak or stop poorly. If a side job customer brought me aftermarket brakes, I would probably tell them to have someone else install them.

As for tires, Michelin is my preferred tire. Check tirerack.com