Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

P0303 code

Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0303 code

Hi guys,

So this weekend I decided to check out the reason why my husband's car is getting the check engine light.

I purchased this OBD II reader from Amazon
OBD2 Reader Car Diagnostic Tool OBD II (MT-50) : Amazon.com : Automotive OBD2 Reader Car Diagnostic Tool OBD II (MT-50) : Amazon.com : Automotive

connected it to the OBD II port and scanned it.

It came back with a P0303 code and I read it online that it could be a cylinder misfire issue??

When I showed my husband how it's done (never done this before), the P0303 didn't come back and we re-scanned it 3 times. But the CEL still comes up.

He told me sometimes, his car will 'jerk' when he tries to accelerate? or the engine will 'hesitate' to turn on?? - sound familiar to you guys?

it s 2002 S60 2.4T.

One of the things I want to fix for him is the driver inside door handle - the spring has come apart, I know how to remove the door panel - thanks to youtube BUT I cannot find online the part to REPLACE the driver inside door handle....can anyone here guide me in the right direction please?

And yes, we will also need to take care of the CEL P0303, perhaps change the spark plugs... also silly question, but how many cylinders are there in the S60 and how do I know which cylinder to change according to P0303?

your advice and help are greatly much appreciated!!!

thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0303 is the generic code for misfire in cylinder #3. Your Volvo is a 5 cylinder. The cylinders are numbered 1-5 starting from the belts (left). #3 is smack dab in the middle. Changing the spark plugs is good maintenance so it is a good idea. Worn plugs are bad for mileage and hard on the coils. Here's a link to a similar situation. If you change the plugs, just do them all.

To my knowledge the door panel is one entire unit. It is sold as an entire panel. Is it a problem of the door not opening up from the inside or does the inside handle just not return to it's normal position? I don't know of any fix right now.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by 01_fast_ride
P0303 is the generic code for misfire in cylinder #3. Your Volvo is a 5 cylinder. The cylinders are numbered 1-5 starting from the belts (left). #3 is smack dab in the middle. Changing the spark plugs is good maintenance so it is a good idea. Worn plugs are bad for mileage and hard on the coils. Here's a link to a similar situation. If you change the plugs, just do them all.

To my knowledge the door panel is one entire unit. It is sold as an entire panel. Is it a problem of the door not opening up from the inside or does the inside handle just not return to it's normal position? I don't know of any fix right now.
thanks for your reply. yeh i figured I would have to change out the entire door panel. yeh the inside door handle and lost it's spring and is completely broke, so hubby has to roll down the window to open the door from the outside.
looking at costs online i see the door panel going from $300 to $400!! I need to get at least a USED one.

regarding the spark plugs, how many are there in the S60? 4/5? yes the bosch ones are cheap, found some for about $8 with free shipping.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S60 has 5 plugs. All parts stores will stock them as well.

So you opened the door panel and it wasn't just a loose cable? Bummer. Try finding someone on craigslist who is parting one out. '01-'04 should be compatible. Just be sure it is the same color. If you don't find one in your city, try the next closest city.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM

i didn't completely remove the door panel because I didn't have the T25 star screwdriver to remove the 2 screws found in that door handle bar. so once I can completely remove the door panel, I'll see if that door handle is worth saving...
thanks again for your response. much appreciated.