Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Headlight Change difficult

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Change difficult

I have a 2004 Volvo S60 and I have had to change the headlights several times (all the bulbs actually) but I get that. the bulbs dont last, ok fine. The problem is that it is really hard to get at the headlight bulbs. There is so much stuff in the way it takes me forever to get the cover off and then again to get the bulbs out and then.... You get the point there is a lot of stuff in the way making it very difficult to change the headlight bulbs. Am I missing something? is there a simpler way to do this. I am following the guide in the manual.

Thanks for any advise

Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Your talking about the drivers side low or highs ? They are hard to change with the air box there even with little hands I have someone change them for me.... LOL I gave up on the drivers side.... H7 silverstars blow out quickly. I'm gonna invest in hid's if it works out I'll let you know.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by scottc_00
I have a 2004 Volvo S60 and I have had to change the headlights several times (all the bulbs actually) but I get that. the bulbs dont last, ok fine. The problem is that it is really hard to get at the headlight bulbs. There is so much stuff in the way it takes me forever to get the cover off and then again to get the bulbs out and then.... You get the point there is a lot of stuff in the way making it very difficult to change the headlight bulbs. Am I missing something? is there a simpler way to do this. I am following the guide in the manual.

Thanks for any advise
I justed changed the low beam bulbs on the 2004 S60 2.4 we recently acquired. I didn't find it hard to get to the bulbs, but did find it difficult to understand how the little pressure wire spring worked. The previous owner had messed these up and somehow put the wire spring through the female connector.....as a result the existing bulbs weren't seated in properly. I worked over 30 minutes trying to figure out how the spring worked to hold in the bulbs and then finally "broke the code." Unlike my other Volvos, you first put the bulb into the recepticle, then push in and fasten the pressure wire spring to hold the bulb in place.......then you push the female connector with the wiring onto the bulb. I was about to pull my hair out when I couldn't get that wire spring to go over the female connector when it was already attached to the bulb. Anyway, that was my biggest challenge.......you just have to get your hands down into the headlamp compartment with the right angle to do the installs........I usually get some scraps or maybe cuts on my hands but that comes with the territory from working on cars I suppose.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM

Lord....if you think bulb replacment is difficult, wait until you r/r a headlamp assembly. The Volvo is a fine car, but extremely difficult to work on, and the tools required and the manual dexterity far exceed the capacity of most weekend tinkerers.