Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

My 2012 S60 T5 - oh oh

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow holy cow man thats aweful i have a 2012 but mines a t6 though love it no issues with it & ive put almost 3k on since ive had it good luck hope yours gets fixed or what ever they need to do to make you happy with it

Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Hi chucktowns60,
I got my S60 in Feb. On and off I can hear the whistle noise while accelerating, so I need to ask them to look at the gaskets between the mirror and the body, right? I have the chirping noise too, which I believe is coming from the compressor. I found that the noise will be gone if I shut off the AC. I did brought the car in for the foreman to test drive with me but both noises cannot be reproduced. Are there any new developement of the chirping noise you have. Please advise if you ahve time. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Update. Purchased a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. I've had it at the dealer's four times since then. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed it as a loose exhaust shield, later a factory rep said it was "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain." In April 2012, dealer said Volvo has acknowledged that the problem exists (other owners have voiced similar complaints) but has yet to initiate a recall repair.

Contacted Volvo Cars of North America (VCNA) Customer Care Center in late May to ask if technical service bulletin TJ-25994 dated 3/13/12 was applicable to my car. VCNA assigned my transmission complaint an incident report number and directed me to take the S60 back to the dealer. VCNA said they would contact the dealer and monitor the situation.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Exclamation Bad to horrible

Just when you think things can get any worse.. My friendly service reminder came on, so I figured I would make a nice Sat service appointment for the vehicles 7500 scheduled maintenance. Sitting in the waiting room for about 10 min and the service advisor comes to see me and says "sorry to say this, but this car has a significant oil leak from the engine". So they give me a loaner and off I go.. TWO WEEKS to hunt down and resolve an oil leak, which they claim never to have been able to find so replaced all seals on the engine...
Wed June 20th 830ish AM, headed to work, all heck breaks lose lights, buzzers, and the "reduced engine performance" light and then loss of ALL POWER. Thankfully make it safely over to side of road, Wait for Volvo on call to send a flat bed for about an hour in 95 + degree heat.. (yes I am whining)
Talk to dealership today... Timing belt let go and destroyed the cylinder head.. Waiting for Volvo techs to review and decide on what course of repairs should be done. Replace engine, replace only the cylinder head. Any one know if the oil leak seals being replaced would have invlolved the timing belt at all ??
Volvo will really need to impress me to ever think of getting another one.. Like the only way they could impress me is with a BMW.. Anyways....
Note: Please see my other posts on how this current vehicle is the SECOND replacement as the FIRST vehicle they delivered to me had the transmission problems....
So my question to you folks, should I force Volvo to replace this vehicle as well? Or just let them repair it?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you need to remove the belt to replace the front crankshaft seal. and if they did not properly tighten the belt tensioner then yes the belt will fail quick!

more bent tensioners work 1 way, you pull it back put the belt on and your good but these ones need to be specifically adjusted based on the outside ambient temp, if they didn't do this then it's their fault (however there's no real way to prove that they forgot that step) but they definitely had to take the belt off to do the work and it was fine before they did the work therefore it's their fault.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Default Freezable?

The failed timing belt is the result of the auxiliary belt failure which became entangled with the timing belt. (I thought the aux belt was external and the timing internal so how is it possible they "entangled"??)
The exact cause is unknown due to its condition, it is shredded. Since your car was in a couple months ago for an oil leak we believe that the belt may have collected oil residue on it causing it to become supple and ultimately fraying and breaking apart. Once the car is back together the technician will test drive the car and complete a thorough inspection to ensure that all issues are resolved and oil residue has been cleaned up.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Update. Purchased a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed it as a loose exhaust shield, later a factory rep called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain." In April 2012, dealer said Volvo has acknowledged the problem exists (other owners have voiced similar complaints) but has yet to initiate a recall repair.
Contacted Volvo Cars of North America (VCNA) in May 2012 to ask if technical service bulletin TJ-25994 issued 3/13/12 was applicable to my car. VCNA assigned my complaint an incident report number and directed me to take the S60 back to the dealer.

Took the S60 back to the dealer for the fifth time. Dealer says they have to hold the car for five days to try and resolve the transmission problem. VCNA is monitoring the situation.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 PM

Update. Took delivery of a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed it as a loose exhaust shield, later a factory rep called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain." In April 2012, dealer said Volvo acknowledged similar complaints from other owners but had not yet initiated a recall repair. In May 2012, contacted Volvo Cars of North America (VCNA) with questions about technical service bulletin TJ-25994 (issued 3/13/12). VCNA assigned my complaint an incident report number.

In June - July 2012, the S60 was at the dealer for the fifth time. Dealer had the car for 12 days as VCNA monitored the situation. Dealer installed a TCM software upgrade (for the second time), a CEM upgrade, reset the transmission adaptation, road tested in gear indication mode and added transmission fluid. No improvement.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Default 13,500

Just took the car on a 1,500 mile road trip over the 4th of July, and it behaved beautifully. Since I'm the one who started this thread, in fairness the car has caused us no problems since the initial flurry of problems in the first 1,000 miles.

A good chunk of this trip was on back road 2 lane state highways, and the passing ability was excellent. The steering system is rock solid. The seats are incredible, even sitting in the car for 7hr stretches I had zero road weariness or stiffness. Got about 30mpg on the highway. Nav system with the voice commands is simple to use, and works equally well from the driver or passenger seat. We've been plagued by 100+ temps in the midwest, but even after sitting parked in the sun for hours the A/C has the interior completely cooled down within 5 minutes. Sound system rocks, I've got a 60gig memory stick in the USB drive with the music ripped at highest quality speed and the audio is CD quality. I was skeptical at first, but this vehicle has really won me over.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Update. Took delivery of a 2012 S6- T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise and low MPG. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed it as a loose exhaust shield, later a factory rep called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain." A year later in April 2012, dealer said Volvo had acknowledged similar complaints from other owners but had not initiated a recall repair.
After a fifth visit to the dealer (this time for a second TCM software upgrade, a CEM upgrade, a transmission adaptation and a gear indication mode road test), the problems persist. In July 2012, Volvo Cars North America said there is nothing more that can be done and that "the vehicle is operating within normal standards."

If you're considering a new or used 2012 S60 T5, I would suggest you take the vehicle on an extended test drive before your buy it -- surface streets, highways, hills, using various throttle positions, and with the transmission in regular and sport modes. In the past 15 years, I've had a Volvo S70, and Audi A4 and a BMW 328i. None have exhibited the transmission problems I'm now experiencing. Now at 5,700 miles, averaging 16.3 MPG.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Update. Took delivery of a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then, plagued with slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, drivetrain vibration and noise, and low MPG. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed the vibration and noise as a loose exhaust shield, later a factory rep called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain."

After a fifth visit to the dealer in July 2012 at 5,500 miles (this time for a second TCM upgrade, a CEM upgrade, a transmission adaptation and gear indication mode tests), the problems persist. Car was in the shop for 12 days.

VCNA says "the vehicle is operating within normal standards." A service technician at the dealership writes, "I have driven two more other cars and they have the same concerns. That's the way it's made."

Now at 6,400 miles, averaging 15.8 MPG.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Default Ready to return my s60!

Hate to say it, but this car could be a mistake for me. I'm not impressed with the quality. I've always had Hondas and Toyotas, no return trips to the dealer. So far on this car the wind damn from underneath has fallen off, the passenger window has leaked, the infotainment system locks up - not sure why, and now the 12v outlets are not working and it's not a fuse issue. I took the car on a long trip yesterday and found the GPS was not charging, when it died I was completely lost. Bought a new charger, same deal, not charging. Back to the dealer again.

And what is that snap and noise I'm feeling and hearing in the break when I back out of the garage? Sounds like a Chevy truck locking into gear.

Jeff

Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM

Consult a lawyer. That car could be considered a lemon.
I saw somebody post a quote on a Volvosite I don't recall w/c states
"VOLVO PROBLEMS FOR LIFE" Your car is a classic example so get a lawyer.
I hope your problems are solved or remedied soon.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Update. Took delivery of a 2012 S60 T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with drivetrain vibration and noise, slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds, and low MPG. Dealer initially erroneously diagnosed the vibration and noise as a loose exhaust heat shield, later a factory rep called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain."

After a fifth visit to the dealer in July 2012 at 5,500 miles (for a second TCM upgrade, a CEM upgrade, a transmission adaptation and gear indication mode test), the problems persist.

VCNA says "the vehicle is operating within normal standards." A service tech at the dealership wrote, "I have driven two more other cars and they have the same concerns. That's the way it's made."

Now at 6,900 miles. Averaging 14.5 MPG. Contacted VCNA, again.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 PM

Update. Took delivery of a 2012 S60T5 in April 2011. Since then plagued with annoying drivetrain buzzing and vibration, slow downshift, engine lugging at low speeds and low MPG. Dealer initially diagnosed it as a loose exhaust shield, later a factory rep called it "harmonic imbalance in the drivetrain."

Six visits to the dealer in 21 months, most recently in October 2012. This time for a third TCM software upgrade. The problems persist.

Volvo Cars North America claims "the vehicle is operating within in design specifications." A service teach at the dealership wrote, "I have driven two more other cars and they have the same concerns." That's the way it's made."

Now at 7,350 miles. Averaging 14.4 MPG. Contacted VCNA, again.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Default Ready to trade in

I bought my S60 in July. I was thrilled at first, now I'm ready to trade it in. The radio is annoying and forces the driver to take focus off the road. Gas mileage seems to be around 20 mpg. Quality is sketchy. I keep cars a very long time and I just don't have the confidence with this one. I bought it instead of a Mercedes or BMW. I'll take a loss, but I need to feel comfortable with my car.

Jeff

Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Jeff, Just wondering where your qualms come from? Quality is sketchy? Care to elaborate? I, being in the industry have seen alot of cars and I dare to say Volvo is one of the highest. I've driven BMW, Mercedes and I just can't see where you are coming from. Honestly. I would just hate to see someone dishearted from buying a S60 because of such a vague statement. As far as the radio, you know there is a scroll on the wheel tht controls most everything....they couldn't of made it much easier I feel. Heck the "sensus system" is much easier to use than BMW's Idrive system. Again, I have used both. With the streaming bluetooth all your music should be readily available Just stream Pandora and what more do you need really? Spotify? Stream that too. Then when its playing use the directional buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel to change songs. You can even run your navigation while listening to music. Hope this helps a bit.

P.S. My gas mileage is aruond 22 combined driving mostly city. Goes up to 24 if I hit the hwy a bit more. This is in sport mode 95% of the time also. And I'm not easy of her by any means.

Originally Posted by Jeff1967
I bought my S60 in July. I was thrilled at first, now I'm ready to trade it in. The radio is annoying and forces the driver to take focus off the road. Gas mileage seems to be around 20 mpg. Quality is sketchy. I keep cars a very long time and I just don't have the confidence with this one. I bought it instead of a Mercedes or BMW. I'll take a loss, but I need to feel comfortable with my car.

Jeff

Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 PM

Also for everyones general knowledge. They have put out software update that improves shift points and makes shifting smoother. I had this update done although I didnt notice anything before. Just sayin.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by VolvoSales01
Also for everyones general knowledge. They have put out software update that improves shift points and makes shifting smoother. I had this update done although I didnt notice anything before. Just sayin.
I've had three TCM (transmission control module) software updates in 21 months. Problems with drivetrain buzzing, vibration, slow downshift, engine lugging and low MPG persist. Dealership service technician has verified my concerns but VCNA Tech Support is still unable to determine the cause. VCNA claims "vehicle is operating within design specifications."

Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by VolvoSales01
...As far as the radio, you know there is a scroll on the wheel tht controls most everything....they couldn't of made it much easier I feel. Heck the "sensus system" is much easier to use than BMW's Idrive system. Again, I have used both. With the streaming bluetooth all your music should be readily available Just stream Pandora and what more do you need really? Spotify? Stream that too. Then when its playing use the directional buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel to change songs. You can even run your navigation while listening to music. Hope this helps a bit.
Amen, that radio/head unit is excellent. My wife is pretty clumsy with technology, but I set her up with Pandora on her iPhone and she was comfortable streaming it over the Volvo's bluetooth in a day. On top of that you've got a USB drive and we've got 64gigs of music sitting on that.

If she can easily toggle between bluetooth, USB, FM, XM etc anyone can. You just spin or press the wheel control on the steering wheel voila.

Quick Reply: My 2012 S60 T5 - oh oh