Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Please help me figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me figure this out

Hi,
I'm here today needing advice on what to do about a recent problem with my 2004 S60 T5 with 119K miles
1. When going in reverse (backing out the garage), there is a clunk coming from the front wheels when applying the brakes. If i press-release brakes in succession it become very evident that it only occurs when braking.
i have inspected the brake shoes and hardware don't seem to find anything unusual.
2. I jacket up the front of the car (no weight on the wheels), open hood, put the car in drive, and upon hitting the brakes i notice the engine would shake.. is this normal?
The torque Rod Mount and transmission mounts are new, but all others are original and appear to be in good shape.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

thanks for your time.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would inspect the axle bolt is tighten properly.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by oragex
I would inspect the axle bolt is tighten properly.
thanks but both front bolts are tight.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 PM

If all suspension/brakes bolts are tighten, then next things to check are the upper strut bearing mount (makes noise while driving/braking), the stabiliser bar bushings, ball joint, lower control arm bushings (if completely busted).

It's good to check the axles for play in the CV joint (and also the CV joint boots for any cracks), also check the axles are well engaged in the transmission. This could explain the engine shake.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 PM

If all suspension/brakes bolts are tighten, then next things to check are the upper strut bearing mount (makes noise while driving/braking):
Makes noise when braking (spring like sound)
makes the same noise when i rock the strut bolt back and forth with a socket

the stabiliser bar bushings: good
ball joint: good
lower control arm bushings (if completely busted): good

It's good to check the axles for play in the CV joint:
there is some play when turning the CV joints (forward or reverse) but no play in or out the hub. is this normal?

(and also the CV joint boots for any cracks): good
The passenger side is 4 months old, the driver is original

also check the axles are well engaged in the transmission. This could explain the engine shake.
hmmm.. i would think they are engaged since i'm able to drive the car, but as stated before there is a some play back and forth .. in other words when i turn the CV joint with my hand, there is some play before it engages and when it engages there is a clunk sound. This is true on both sides.
This may also explain the clunk sound when putting the car in gear (reverse or forward), there is a slight delay then clunk (more pronounced when put in reverse)

Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by quietcoolone
when i turn the CV joint with my hand, there is some play before it engages and when it engages there is a clunk sound. This is true on both sides.
I don't think there should be play when rotating a CV joint. How much does it move freely in terms of degrees? That can surely explain the clunk since when the transmission applies torque to the wheel, braking will apply inverse torque on the rotors and thus on the axle/CV joint. Same as when you twist the joint by hand back and forth.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 AM

I don't think there should be play when rotating a CV joint. How much does it move freely in terms of degrees? That can surely explain the clunk since when the transmission applies torque to the wheel, braking will apply inverse torque on the rotors and thus on the axle/CV joint. Same as when you twist the joint by hand back and forth.
Thanks for the follow up.
My best recollection is about 5-10 degrees before engaging. This happens on both the left and right CV joints.
Is this just wear and tear due to age (119K Miles) and if so is there anything i can renew inside the transmission that would fix.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 AM

You may want to find a helper to observe the clunk as it's happening. It's really difficult sometimes to know where a noise is coming from, as sounds resonate through the body. Any vibration while driving?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by shadetree_v70
You may want to find a helper to observe the clunk as it's happening. It's really difficult sometimes to know where a noise is coming from, as sounds resonate through the body. Any vibration while driving?
i've determined that the clunk occurs when the drive shaft moves and engages the transmission (on both sides)

Old 08-15-2014, 04:12 AM

I would also inspect the transmission and engine mounts. Particularly the upper engine mount and the lower front torque mount on the transmission are known to fail, causing the engine shake. Should be easy to see if the bushings on these mounts are damaged.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:18 AM

I would also inspect the transmission and engine mounts. Particularly the upper engine mount and the lower front torque mount on the transmission are known to fail, causing the engine shake. Should be easy to see if the bushings on these mounts are damaged.
thanks, but i addressed this in my original post:
"The torque Rod Mount (top engine mount) and transmission mounts (lower torque) are new, but all others (engine mounts) are original and appear to be in good shape.
this clunk only occurs when i put the car in Drive or Reverse. I'ts not there while driving or coming to a stop and at startup. This only occurs when going from P- D or N- D or N- R
With the hood open i also notice the engine moves back when applying the brakes and back in position after releasing the brakes.

Thanks

Last edited by quietcoolone; 11-05-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM

My problem is similar! When I put my car (04 s60 2.5t) in reverse it hesitate, then roll back with a loud clunk noise. But if I put the car in drive before putting it in reverse everything goes smoothly. Please help me figure this out.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Default clunk video

My situation is similar to what is seen on the first video referred to as "axle ping". Mine is a "knock/clunk" not a ping.
I was not able to reproduce the second video, but the "clunk" is the same.
The clunk is from within the transmission and happens on both axles. (Driver and Passenger) (there is no clunk on the hub side its definitely in the transmission)
With the wheels off the ground i can turn the axle in either direction (forward or backwards) about 5 degrees, it engages with a "clunk" and no longer turns in that direction. Turn backwards and it does the same thing.
I bought and installed the XC90 bolts but that did not fix this problem. (those bolts are likely to fix issues with clunks on the hub side)

anyone?

Last edited by quietcoolone; 11-05-2014 at 02:06 PM.