Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Should I get an S60?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get an S60?

I just test drove an S60 today and instantly fell in love with the car. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I was driving it. It was a fairly high mileage Volvo at 94k but it drove like it was brand new. I noticed some cheap interior elements such as the cup holders and paint wearing away etc. but nothing that really bothered me much.

I've done my homework on the car and it seems that half the people love the cars and have few maintenance problems and the other half say it is a hellish maintenance nightmare typical Ford pos.

I do not have much cash seeing as I am a college student and I would probably purchase an S60 between 75-90k miles on it. All the transmission problems I hear making me somewhat fearful of the purchase as well as many other complaints regarding repairs.

I've known a Volvo mechanic for years and when I inquired him about it he told me the S40 was garbage, the S60 is okay, the S80 has way too many electrical problems, and that the S70 is a really good car. As I did more research, other people have told me that the S70 can have many problems too. I was also told that 2003 and above fixes many of these problems with the S80 but I am wondering if the same applies to the S60. Can someone clarify this?

Basically, I really want to get the car but if it is going to be an absolute maintenance nightmare then I should probably steer clear of it. Would it be a viable option to purchase an S60 given my mileage range? Are there certain years that I should purchase over others? For instance, should I steer clear of 2001 and 2002 but get a 2003?

Keep in mind, I cannot afford a new vehicle don't have a lot of cash to work with. I don't mind replacing the bulbs and cupholders and such but it's the expensive repairs that I am afraid of. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by wdrose
I just test drove an S60 today and instantly fell in love with the car. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I was driving it. It was a fairly high mileage Volvo at 94k but it drove like it was brand new. I noticed some cheap interior elements such as the cup holders and paint wearing away etc. but nothing that really bothered me much.

I've done my homework on the car and it seems that half the people love the cars and have few maintenance problems and the other half say it is a hellish maintenance nightmare typical Ford pos.

I do not have much cash seeing as I am a college student and I would probably purchase an S60 between 75-90k miles on it. All the transmission problems I hear making me somewhat fearful of the purchase as well as many other complaints regarding repairs.

I've known a Volvo mechanic for years and when I inquired him about it he told me the S40 was garbage, the S60 is okay, the S80 has way too many electrical problems, and that the S70 is a really good car. As I did more research, other people have told me that the S70 can have many problems too. I was also told that 2003 and above fixes many of these problems with the S80 but I am wondering if the same applies to the S60. Can someone clarify this?

Basically, I really want to get the car but if it is going to be an absolute maintenance nightmare then I should probably steer clear of it. Would it be a viable option to purchase an S60 given my mileage range? Are there certain years that I should purchase over others? For instance, should I steer clear of 2001 and 2002 but get a 2003?

Keep in mind, I cannot afford a new vehicle don't have a lot of cash to work with. I don't mind replacing the bulbs and cupholders and such but it's the expensive repairs that I am afraid of. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
We've owned a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T for several years........we bought it used in 2004 with 68,000 miles on it and it now has 118,500 mileage. The 2001 V70 and newer models have the same engine and auto transmission as the 2001 and up S60. We've had no major problems with this vehicle although as discussed on this forum in both the S60 and V70 sections, the transmissions need some periodic care. I had the trans fluid changed at the 115,000 point and plan to do it every 30,000 thereafter to help keep it well. They also sometimes need a transmission software update to ensure continued smooth shifting. Our daughter also bought a used 2004 S60 2.4 (Non-Turbo) with manual transmission last February with 51,500 miles on it and it runs great.......has lots of power even without the turbo. Did have to change the power steering pump and alternator soon after we bought it which I installed myself........got the parts from AdvanceAuto Parts for about $500 with lifetime warranty (Parts & labor at a Volvo repair shop would have been $1500). If you're worried about the auto transmission failing down the pike, look for an S60 with manual transmission.......they last longer. Bottomline: I'd highly recommend the the S60 but you need to check out the history and get it checked by a mechanic before buying any used vehicle.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 PM
JP

I have a '01 T5 with 125,000 miles and it is such a fun car to have. I wouldn't recommend it though. I would definitely look for a '03+.

My biggest issue is the transmission. It hasn't given out on me, but it's ridiculous. Erratic shifts and transmission fluid that is almost black after 2 months and 2,000 miles. I flushed it myself with 14 quarts and it was bright red on the last 4 quarts. Disappointing.

Anyway, just my opinion. Good car, too many maintenance quirks on the early models. And as mcleantmw said, make SURE you know the car's history you want to buy. That's also part of my car's problem I'd say.

Last edited by JP; 07-10-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys. My last car was a BMW 525i and I loved it but the maintenance just made it a nightmare and I was forced to sell it. I'm just trying to avoid the same situation. Anymore feedback is appreciated.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a buyers market right now. My local craigslist is full of nice s60s at ridiculous prices. I think you can get a real bargain and if it is well sorted - get it checked by a volvo guy (though not the dealer) - then you could be fine. Also the later models are prob more reliable. As with any car, you want to buy the models that are 2/3 through the life cycle (IMHO) because those have had the early problems fixed. But, you should still be prepared for some repairs. If you need/want super reliability then get a camry!

I should note that when I got mine, (60K miles, 2005) I had to have the door lock fixed, the transmission flushed, cabin air filter replaced and new plugs. That all added up to quite a bit.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 02 S60 and I would definitely go Volvo again.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JP
I have a '01 T5 with 125,000 miles and it is such a fun car to have. I wouldn't recommend it though. I would definitely look for a '03+.

My biggest issue is the transmission. It hasn't given out on me, but it's ridiculous. Erratic shifts and transmission fluid that is almost black after 2 months and 2,000 miles. I flushed it myself with 14 quarts and it was bright red on the last 4 quarts. Disappointing.

Anyway, just my opinion. Good car, too many maintenance quirks on the early models. And as mcleantmw said, make SURE you know the car's history you want to buy. That's also part of my car's problem I'd say.

Try installing an in-line transmission filter and see if your fluid lasts any longer... it helped on my s80..
just google magnefine filter and these cars take the 3/8" variety.. its a 10 minute DIY and definitely worth it for about $20.. ebay is the best place to buy them I have found

anyway, it seems the s60, s80 etc became more reliable after 2002