Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Replace low-beam head light problem with connector removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace low-beam head light problem with connector removal

Hi

I am trying to replace the lowbeam light in my 2002 Volvo S60. I am following the instructions in the owners manual. After removing the plastic cap, it says to remove the connector. So I pulled quite hard on the connector to pull it out, but it doesn't budge. I'm worried that if I pull any harder, I may break something. The diagram in the owners manual shows the connector being pulled straight out (no twisting, no clip to undo, just pulled straight out).

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Maybe it does take a good hard pull to get it out. I just don't want to pull any harder because I worry it might break.

Thanks

Jim

Old 03-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Default There's a wire clip

There is a spring wire holding mechanism....If I remember the last time I did it the upper part of the wire needs to be pressed downward to release it from it's holding clip...then it just folds out of the way and the bulb and connector comes out very easy. Pulling harder is not the answer.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks njmotorguy. But the owners manual says to undo the spring clips after removing the connector. Are you saying that I don't need to pull out the connector on its own, but I should instead undo the spring clips, and pull the bulb / connector assembly out as one piece? This is not what the owners manual says. Maybe the manual is wrong?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

So a very poor design by Volvo.
The connectors actually have a tab that needs to be pressed in that is hidden under the plastic cover over the terminals that you really cannot get to.

It is very hard to see as well because of the headlight being in the car.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always hated changing headlamp bulbs in those. Seemed like we got one at least once a week.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo_Jones
Hi

I am trying to replace the lowbeam light in my 2002 Volvo S60. I am following the instructions in the owners manual. After removing the plastic cap, it says to remove the connector. So I pulled quite hard on the connector to pull it out, but it doesn't budge. I'm worried that if I pull any harder, I may break something. The diagram in the owners manual shows the connector being pulled straight out (no twisting, no clip to undo, just pulled straight out).

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Maybe it does take a good hard pull to get it out. I just don't want to pull any harder because I worry it might break.

Thanks

Jim
If your 2002 S60 is like my 2004 S60, you first take off the female connector from the bulb........just wiggle it off. Then push IN at the top of the spring tension wire clip a little to the right or left (can't remember which direction) to release the wire clip that holds the bulb into the socket. The wire clip will fold down.......then you can pull the bulb out by its two male connectors. Installing the new bulb is the opposite procedure.......try not to touch the glass bulb when installing the new one since grease from hands can shorten life of the bulb. It took me 30 minutes to finally "break the code" how to install a new bulb since the previous owner had incorrectly pushed the tension spring over and through the female connector.......caused the bulb to not seat flush into the bulb socket. Change the bulb in good sunlight so you can see what you're doing.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 AM

mcleantmw, thanks for your help. But I've tried wiggling the connector loose for 30 minutes with no success. Maybe your 2004 S60 is different than a 2002 S60, as far as how the lowbeam lights install. Maybe they fixed the problem, making it easier to install lowbeams.

tech, so if I can't get to the tabs, I guess I'll take it to a garage to have my lights installed. I don't want to break anything.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Usually if you just pull hard it will unplug.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM

mcleantmw, thanks for your help. But I've tried wiggling the connector loose for 30 minutes with no success. Maybe your 2004 S60 is different than a 2002 S60, as far as how the lowbeam lights install. Maybe they fixed the problem, making it easier to install lowbeams.

tech, so if I can't get to the tabs, I guess I'll take it to a garage to have my lights installed. I don't want to break anything.

Thanks
I don't think Volvo changed the light fixture design between your 2002 vehicle and my 2004 vehicle. It sounds like the female plug is kind of fused to the bulb's two mail prongs from the heat.......as other posts have mentioned can happen. So, you'll need to use a screw driver to help pry off the female connector. But, regardless if you use a screw driver or do it by hand only, be sure to use your other hand to press in and hold onto the light bulb base while you are prying off the female connector. There's only that little wire spring (see #7 in diagram below) holding the light bulb into the socket and it will not withstand the strong pressure when you pry off the female connector either by hand or with the help of a screw driver. If you're uncomfortable doing this, by all means take your vehicle to a mechanic but I hope they don't charge you much for this less than 5 minute bulb replacement procedure.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks mcleantmw

I was able to get the connector off. The trick I used was to swing open the wire retainer (which holds the bulb in place), at which point it was must easier to grip the connector, and it finally came off. The volvo s60 manual tells you to take the connector off first, and then open the wire retainer. So I reversed what the manual says.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Thanks mcleantmw

I was able to get the connector off. The trick I used was to swing open the wire retainer (which holds the bulb in place), at which point it was must easier to grip the connector, and it finally came off. The volvo s60 manual tells you to take the connector off first, and then open the wire retainer. So I reversed what the manual says.
Glad you finally had success! The wire retainer spring is not designed wide enough to go over the female socket and that's why the female socket is installed lastly. So, sounds like someone had messed up the previous bulb install like mine was........someone had forced the wire retainer spring over the female socket when it was attached to the bulb. Glad you were able to "break the code" too like me.......took me 30 minutes to figure out what was wrong with mine!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Default Black plastic connector broke. Is this worth replacing?

Hi,

I had the same problem as the original poster, but I kept pulling on the black connector, and the black plastic broke in half, as one of the wires was stuck like you wouldn't believe into the prong. Once the plastic broke away, I was able to get directly to the metal clip attached to the wire and pull it from the prong. I replaced the bulb, and everything is working, but one of the wires is not protected by the plastic cover, as it broke away on that side. Is it imperative that I replace the plastic casing, or should I be good to go as it is now?

Thanks for your advice.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

You should be fine the way you are now.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make the little black insulators as a replacement part.
Part #-8678122 Price is about 7 bucks.