Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2007, 02:26 PM

Default S60 T5 Hard to start and fuel Smell

My 2001 S60 T5 recently began to get hard to start. Usually takes pumping the gas pedal to get it to start. Once stated it seems to run fine, but a strong gas/fuel smell is now very strong. It is not coming from under the hood, but can be smelled if standing beside the car. No messages in the mesage center, but have not had anyone try a code reader. Has 90,000 miles on it. Is it the fuel filter?....Just crawled up under and noticed that it looks like gas has been leaking down the tank in the area near the filter...is this a totally new problem or could it be related to the filter?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:36 PM
2001 Volvo S60

Default RE: S60 T5 Hard to start and fuel Smell

Sounds like you're right on the money. I think its the fuel filter too. I just did mine a few weeks ago. A jackstand or ramp and a socket set or wrench is the only thing you'll need. FCP may have the best prices.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Well, replaced the fuel filter. Has helped with some of the gas smell, but not all of it. It's still hard to start when cold, but after it starts it runs fine. Is there a gasket where the fuel pump attaches to the gas tank? I'm thinking it may be leaking from there causing the smell and a small vacuum leak. Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 PM

I ran into the same fuel smell problem on my 2002 S60. Upon some investigation I found the NHTSA has a campaign number 07V152000 and Volvo has campaign number R176 addressing this exact problem. They state is the remedy is dealers will replace the fuel pump free of charge. The bad news is they claim it is only available to cars in Arizona and Nevada. The consequence stated in the campaigns is, "Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire." Both my dealer and Volvo refuse to replace my fuel pump because I live in California. Why they think I do not have the same potential of a fire is beyond me.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 PM

Yea, I saw that recall. I went to the NHTSA web page and filed a complaint. I suggest anyone else that is having this problem go there also. Here is the link http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/?CFID=1...TOKEN=89506074

Maybe if they get enough complaints, they'll have to expand the recall to all of us.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 PM

Here's what I've been told by Volvo:"Thank you for your email.

If your complaint to NHTSA results in a recall for your particular vehicle, you will be notified by mail. Until that time, only the vehicles flagged as being affected by the recall can have the recall done.

Sincerely,

Bart S. Levine

VCNA"
Here's what I was told by the National Highwat Transportation Safety Administration:"Rcd you complaint about your vehicle being out of recall scope. Volvo's data showed a very very small percentage of vehicle outside of the two hottest states may have the same problem (do you spend time in hotter region beside your home state?). Volvo is covering all other vehicles that are out of recall scope w/ a 8-year/80k miles emissions warranty...your veh. appears to be just out of the mileage limits, but within the time limit...I would like to fwd your report to Volvo, but I cannot fwd it as you did not specifically allowed us to do so (our system defaults to "not allowed" if you do not specify). According to Volvo, they believe that just some of the dealers are not following thru on the out of scope vehicles...

If you allow us to fwd your complaint and personal information (name, VIN, phone, address) to Volvo, please reply to this email and state that " I allow NHTSA to provide a copy of this report (VOQ) to the manufacturer"

If you still do not allow us to inform Volvo, then my suggestion is to contact Volvo direct and inform them of this (let them know you were just outside the mileage limit, but within the time limit) and request an reimbursement or portion of it.

Peter C. Ong
Safety Defects Engineer
Office of Defects Investigation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
US DOT
O 202-366-0583
F 202-366-1767"
I replied:" I allow NHTSA to provide a copy of this report (VOQ) to the manufacturer"

Also, I live in Nashville, TN and we had at least 3 weeks of temps with highs over 100 degrees farenhite this past August. That is the time the trouble started. I firmly believe that my car should be included as it has the same safety problems of those in the other states. I and my family are at the same risk as others who are being covered. Will it take one of us burning to death to make all affected cars included? I certainly hope not. The NHTSB should require the recall if Volvo will not do it on their own. Also, the mileage allowance of 10,000 per year is very unreasonable. Hardly anyone drives that few miles per year."
NHTSA replied,"FYI,

During the investigation, Volvo reported one claim for the MY01-02 S60 population of 774 vehicles in TN yielding a rate of 0.13% which is comparable to the national average. Volvo reported 291 Arizona/Nevada S60 claims over a population of f1,300 vehicles yielding a rate of 22.4%. There were no fire/crash/injury associated with this issue.

Peter C. Ong
Safety Defects Engineer
ODI, NVS212
NHTSA - US DOT
O 202-366-0583
F 202-366-1767"
Old 10-03-2007, 04:15 PM

Looks like we're screwed and will have to foot the bill ourselves.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:51 PM

Just thought...Could this be the gasket for the fuel filter causing the small leak and smell?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM

All,
Having the same problem on an `02 S60 - Gas leaking/dripping from the top passenger side part of the tank, right where the fuel pump is. I spoke with the contact below, Peter Ong, from the NHTSA and he was very helpful and listened to me about the issue. Peter said he talked with Volvo N. America and they were going to work with people about the issue, even with people supposedly outside of the adjusted emissions warranty of 8 years/80000 miles. I called Volvo HQ at 1-800-458-1552. They were very nice and said that unless my specific problem was under the determined cause and unless I lived in Arizona or Nevada, I would not be covered. They said the cause was determined by Volvo to be too much sulfur in the fuel; amazing the kind of baloney that they can come up with as the "cause". Anyway I passed this information on to Peter at NHTSA and he didn't seem too pleased with the response, nor did he seem to give credence to the sulfur explanation. I have submitted a complaint via the NHTSA website listed in this thread. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling on a nationwide recall if there are more instances of this out there. The current recall is only a couple of months old so guess we’ll all have to wait and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 PM

I just had the gas smell issue with my 2002 S60. Turned out to be a leaking fuel pump around the wires. I called Volvo as you guys reccommended and they would not acknowledge there was any problem. In fact the women that answered the phone was down right rude, which is very unusual for Volvo. She would only say to contact the local dealer and wouldn't even acknowledge the recall number in Nevada/Arizona as I'm in FL.Guess it's not hot down here. Turns out the dealer didn't have the pump in stock and saidthey were now onnational backorder with no release date. Went to a trusted independent Volvo shop down the street. The owner had two leftand said they see the problem all the time with S60s and S80s. Poorly designed plastic pump housing. Bottom line is that I spent over $500. to have it replaced as my kid drives the car over 150 milesto college and needed to leave within hours. I have three Volvos and they are good cars, however Volvo has a history of not correcting their poor designs when the car is out of warranty. (I'm still pissed about my old 240 with the biodegradable engine harness that destroyed all the electronics until I found out what was really going on.) I plan to file a complaint with the NHTSB tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Tags
car, difficult, fuel, gas, hard, morning, oil, pedal, problems, pump, s60, smell, start, starting, t5, volvo