Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 T5 Hard to start and fuel Smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S60 T5 Hard to start and fuel Smell

An update on the wifes car..........

The car has "Wreaked" of a raw gas smell for the past month and we received a letter that mentioned the "recall" on the fuel pump. So, we took it to the dealership and had the letter and the said if they remove the rear seat and find a "pool of gas" it will be covered under the warranty. The service advisor said that we were the first one that they have had in the KC area that was the faulty fuel pump. No charge except for the $50 dollar oil change and $3 bucks for "washer fluid".

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Oh yea, they did say she needed new brakes, the torque mount is broke and the sway arm is bad.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad it is all fixed now!!!

They charged for washer fluid??? Wow a first for me.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:39 PM

i'm so happy i read this thread.
last week my car did exactly what was described here. called the dealer told them the story. i said i'd like to bring it in for the recall, they said its not a recall but an extended warranty. either way it was free.

they tried to charge me to fill up my own car. we came to a compromise of me filling up the loaner and NOT paying twice for gas.

thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator

See this is what the forum is for. I think this is 4 to 5 people that have posted in this post that it had helped them.

The power of the internet gotta love it!!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Not to bring this back to the top...........but, the wifes car had the check engine light come on two days after the "recall fix from the dealership".......I had the local parts house run a diagnostics check on the car and he said that it was a small fuel leak......which could mean a loose gas cap.....so forward to about 20 days later and the light comes on again....I told her that I would check it out and see if it is the "fuel leak" (aka: not putting the gas cap on tight enough)......well, the weather changed for the worse here in Kansas City and we had a driveway full of ice/snow and the wife called me at work two days after the light came on and said the driveway had a "pool" of fuel on it that melted thru the ice......(we took photos) and that the 410 miles to empty now said 360 to empty..........errr.....that is me being ticked......I used to work for AUDI and alway's heard horror stories of the service guys.......well I call Superior Volvo to bring the car in and they said "No problem, bring it in and we will put your wife in a loaner car"..........

Well, it was the drivers side "o-ring" and the service tech guy said that it as a "green" one that came with the replacement fuel pumps and the older "blue" ones did not have any issues. So, it was replaced free of charge and I was ready for an issue with the dealer........but, they covered everything and were REALLY nice this visit.

So, if you see a gas leak again..........and I mean DUMPING gas......after the fuel pump was replaced. It is the "green o-ring".

Chris

Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Hi, I am brand new to this forum. Found it in a google search! I have a 2003 s60 t5 with a very strong fuel smell any time it is filled up with gas. it is coming from the fuel tank area. Is this likely to be a bad fuel pump and will it be covered by a recall or extended warranty? thanks in advance for your help!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Hard to say exactly but I might say yes it would be.

Is it leaking from the passenger side?

If so have it inspected soon.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Default Concerned

This just started happening to my Volvo. For the pass several days I smelled gas and was not sure where it was coming from. Since my car is garaged, the order was getting inside. The gas smell is extremely strong. Not sure what to do. And when I started it just a bit ago it some what shuddered. I am taking to my mechanic in the morning. I am however very concerned about the cost to repair. (2 college students to support). Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you read the thread? My car had the cracked fuel pick up top and I just hassled old volvo of america on the phone for a few hours and a couple times and they paid for it to be replaced. I didn't live in Arizona either.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a very interesting thread and speaks volumes about a corporate culture that touts safety, yet chooses to ignore a problem that represents a potentially very serious safety problem. Ford's doing? Looks like the guy who did the infamous Pinto gas tank cost memo is now running a similar department at Volvo. Gas leaks? Talk about fire hazards!

Its not like, for instance, the tilt wheel stopped tilting or the heated seat stopped heating that's a nuisance. Rather than recall the affected cars, Volvo dodges the bullet by extending the warranty. You know it chose this route to avoid the expense and bad publicity of a formal recall.

Can't wait to see what happens when cars are hydrogen powered. Hindenberg, anybody?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 AM

We to have a 2003 S60 with a very bad fuel smell. We bought it used in 2006 from a Volvo dealer in Cary, NC. Of course, when I called Volvo and gave them the VIN #, they said that we were not covered. Our Certified Pre Owned status expired in Feb. of this year. Does anybody have a suggestion for this? I really don't want to spend $700+ to get something fixed that has been a recurring problem for Volvo.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nabes
We to have a 2003 S60 with a very bad fuel smell. We bought it used in 2006 from a Volvo dealer in Cary, NC. Of course, when I called Volvo and gave them the VIN #, they said that we were not covered. Our Certified Pre Owned status expired in Feb. of this year. Does anybody have a suggestion for this? I really don't want to spend $700+ to get something fixed that has been a recurring problem for Volvo.
Call Volvo cars of North America and bug them about it.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM

I did that yesterday. The car is going to the dealer tomorrow and Volvo said they would call me once they get a diagnosis. I'm hoping it is a fuel line or something along those lines, but with all the posts about the fuel pump, I'm starting to worry. Because it is out of the pre owned warranty and there are no recalls or extended warranties on this car, does anybody know what the odds are that Volvo would do the right thing?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM

Volvo did the right thing and is covering the fuel pump. I was very happy with the service I received from them. They called me once in the morning to tell me the car had not been diagnosed yet and in the afternoon once the dealer found out the fuel pump was the problem. Thank you for all that responded to my threads.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM

Last year (2008) I received a letter from Volvo of america that if you notice a fuel odor it may caused by fule pump and they will fix it for free. I noticed fule odor today (sep.2009) I go to volvo of richardson (in TX) and i shown the letter to them and they fixed it for free! In letter they said if you paid for this serviece before call 866-637-3774 and ask for refund! Should anyone have to see this letter i can send the scanned version of this letter.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM

So I too have the same symptoms, i.e. bad gas smell, leading gas droplets on the passenger side of my gas tank, and difficulty starting on first try *unless I turn the key to the on position and wait 20 seconds before attempting to start*. I have a 2004 S60 R AWD with less than 65k miles. I live in the really hot city of Austin TX, at least this summer was extremely hot, and now I'm having these symptoms... I posted a complaint with NHTSA and I called Volvo of North America who told me to keep my receipt in hopes that there would be a recall one day I'm going to take the car to the local dealership and see if the service manager can help at all....any other advice? I'm not finding much about 04 or newer S60's let alone the "R" model....thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM

check out the r forum on swedespeed...

BUT

your fuel pump is probably shot - if you let your tank get low in hot hot hot austin - then it wasnt being cooled and is likely fried.