Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Shaking when accelerating

So I drove my wife's '03 S60 this morning and noticed it shaking when accelerating.
I've seen this before at higher speeds like 80 km/h + but I just thought that it was the winter tires in need of balancing, as I don't drive it often and at city limit speeds usually just around the block. I just changed back to summer wheels and drove it out of town this morning, the vibration is still there and very pronounced.
The car is not shaking at idle and it does not shake coasting at a constant speed, but as soon as you step on the gas peddle to accelerate it shakes the whole car chassis and it seems slow in acceleration. I noticed that it is doing this now at 30 km/h +.
The car has 92k miles on the odometer, original timing belt, not sure about spark plugs.
Any one experienced this?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
So I drove my wife's '03 S60 this morning and noticed it shaking when accelerating.
I've seen this before at higher speeds like 80 km/h + but I just thought that it was the winter tires in need of balancing, as I don't drive it often and at city limit speeds usually just around the block. I just changed back to summer wheels and drove it out of town this morning, the vibration is still there and very pronounced.
The car is not shaking at idle and it does not shake coasting at a constant speed, but as soon as you step on the gas peddle to accelerate it shakes the whole car chassis and it seems slow in acceleration. I noticed that it is doing this now at 30 km/h +.
The car has 92k miles on the odometer, original timing belt, not sure about spark plugs.
Any one experienced this?
I'm not saying this is your problem, but I can share a similar experience with my Mercedes. A couple years ago, I noticed some shaking of the vehicle when I accelerated on smooth road.......felt like I was driving over those road bumps used to alert drivers at highway intersections. I immediately took the car to my MB Dealer (under warranty) and they found coolant in the transmission fluid. There's an inherent flaw in my year's vehicle in the integrated radiator that cools both the engine and transmission.....a connector on the radiator for the trans fluid breaks causing coolant to enter the transmission. Warranty paid for new upgraded radiator, new trans torque converted and flushing of both systems. Anyway, when coolant contaminates the transmission, you certainly can get a shaking condition and would get worse, of course, if not fixed.

My Vehicles
Mercedes 2003 E500
Volvo 2001 V70 2.4T
Volvo 2004 S60 2.4
Volvo 1989 740 GL Wagon (deceased 2/2009)
Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Also check the inner joint on the axles for play. Grab the inner joint at the tranny with one hand and the center section with the other hand. Then move your hands like you are giving an indian burn. If there is any slop at all the inner joint is bad.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Experiencing the same when accelerating from 55 to 60 MPH and very subtle at higher speeds (80 mph +). I got my tires road force balanced
and the condition improved. There is only very subtle vibration at 55 MPH
when accelerating and if you just breeze thru that speed, you would not even notice it. Cruising at 80-100 mPh is much smoother now. The car definitely drives better now.

Not sure now if there is still a mechanical issue or it is just tires/wheels. I do not have another set for winter so cannot really 100% conclude that it is just due to unbalanced tires.
04 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD - IPD HD Turbo Control Valve , IPD Full Silicone TCV lines, EST Ultra-Flo Air Intake System, Bilstein HD shocks, Viva Performance Front Strut Tower Brace , AutoMeter Boost Gauge, IPD HD Endlinks, Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads, 20% Black Tint, Tinted Tail Lights

05 BMW X5 3.0
06 Porsche Cayenne - Sprint Booster
Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 AM

CHanged my lower torque rod (trans / engine mount) and it improved the driving remarkably. No more vibration at 55mph 2500rpm.

The smaller of the 2 bushings was shot. This might explain why there is vibration when accellerating under load.

Shoul dbe easy to check and replace if necessary. Just a thought.
04 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD - IPD HD Turbo Control Valve , IPD Full Silicone TCV lines, EST Ultra-Flo Air Intake System, Bilstein HD shocks, Viva Performance Front Strut Tower Brace , AutoMeter Boost Gauge, IPD HD Endlinks, Akebono Ceramic Brake Pads, 20% Black Tint, Tinted Tail Lights

05 BMW X5 3.0
06 Porsche Cayenne - Sprint Booster
Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to bestharry Send a message via Yahoo to bestharry

Can a cracked distributor cap cause the same symptom?
My station wagon started doing this and I opened the hood and found that the black cover onthe distributor is missing and the top edge of the distributor cap is cracked as if someone hit it with a big screwdriver or something...
please suggest.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestharry View Post
Can a cracked distributor cap cause the same symptom?
My station wagon started doing this and I opened the hood and found that the black cover onthe distributor is missing and the top edge of the distributor cap is cracked as if someone hit it with a big screwdriver or something...
please suggest.
It will cause a misfire.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz1006 View Post
CHanged my lower torque rod (trans / engine mount) and it improved the driving remarkably. No more vibration at 55mph 2500rpm.
The smaller of the 2 bushings was shot. This might explain why there is vibration when accellerating under load.
Should be easy to check and replace if necessary. Just a thought.
Apreciate the help (I could use all I can get!) I will have to investigate this on my car.
Per tech's suggestion I tried the axle twisting and don't find much if any play in the shaft joint, however the outer CV boots are both torn and some grease has come out. I took the car to two different garages and can not get it diagnosed properly. Just guesses it could be the drive shafts or mounts. I will have to take to a garage that specializes in Volvos tomorrow, car is becoming un-drivable!

I found this on google search:
A shudder or vibration when accelerating may be caused by an excessive play in either the inboard or outboard joints, but the most likely cause is a worn inboard plunge joint.

What is a plunge joint?

Last edited by Delirious; 04-14-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added more info.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 PM

I bet it's a bent axle. I have seen this problem on 2 Volvo's with the same condition you describe. Which axle? I dunno. Replace them both.

1998 Chevy Metro 1.0L 5-speed (57 MPG)
1997 Geo Metro 1.0L 5-speed (53 MPG)
1995 Chevy 1500 4X4 Mud Truck (Who cares?)
Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM

before you go ahead and start replacing expensive parts, take a look at the sparkplugs. I had the exact same issue you are describing. On highway onramps it would feel like the entire front end of the car was jumping up and down. It only got worse and finally it would stutter sometimes at redlights. Changed out sparkplugs to bosch coppers and no more problems.

EDIT: I didnt have a Check EngineLight on either and my mechanic thought that was weird.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Tags
240, 80, accelerating, acceleration, car, excessive, feel, gas, mph, s60, shakes, shaking, step, vibration, volvo