Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Update on the fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech View Post
Also check the inner joint on the axles for play. Grab the inner joint at the tranny with one hand and the center section with the other hand. Then move your hands like you are giving an indian burn. If there is any slop at all the inner joint is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I bet it's a bent axle. I have seen this problem on 2 Volvo's with the same condition you describe. Which axle? I dunno. Replace them both.
O.K. tech and Johnny M. you were correct. In my case it turned out to be the right drive shaft. I first checked the left shaft for play, and found some play but very little on the inboard side only, outside had no play. After replacing it I test drove it for a short run and actually thought it was fixed but the shakes returned on the freeway the next day. Then I tore apart the right side and found little play in the joints but there also was more play in the inboard joint then there was in the outer joint. This time however after replacing the right shaft she drove smooth as silk at all speeds.
Thought I bring a closure to this case as it may help someone reading this thread.

Cheers!

Last edited by Delirious; 04-27-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Glad all is well now.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Default Same Here

Delirious
I have read your topic and I think there is same problem with my car.

I have got vibrations after 60 ml/h. and front wheels when turning hard gives noise something like Grrrrrr.

Can you write exactly what have you changed. Please write the right term for this item as I have to translate it and tell it to my service garage to check.

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my '98 S70. I had both joints replaced within a year of each other. Not sure what kind of joint was used on the pass. side but I think there is play in it. The shop will replace the joint but they want to charge me labor for it since it's outside 30 days.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM

I had this problem. It was the CV boot on the right front tire. It was a $500 fix but it fixed it right up.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Cool Vibration while accelerating

Our 2002 Volvo S80 was experiencing this problem (excessive front-end vibration between 55 and 65 mph). As many others have correctly indicated, there may be a number of causes. But our unit was fixed after replacing the right and left cv axles.

We had already balanced the tires, and even replaced and rotated the tires (and rebalanced those). Interestingly, this did in fact change the intensity of the vibration, but it did not eliminate it.

Our mechanic said it could be the rims and we were considering that when we checked out this forum and learned that A). this was a problem that other Volvo owners had experienced and B). this was probably something beyond a simple wheel balancing / alignment issue.

After sharing this forum data with a new mechanic, we decided to replace both of the front cv axles. Total cost including labor was $600. And the best news is that it fixed the problem! Yay, the old 2002 feels like a new car (and with only 126,000 miles! ) again!

Hope this information helps you.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Default same issues

We have a 2004 CX 90 with 95k miles. Experiencing the same shaking when power is applied and also loss of power. Starts at 20 mph and steadily gets worse. Have replaced all tires, motor mounts. Seems to have gotten beetter but not totally gone. The shaking actually became violent after all tires were replaced

Volvo mechanic wants to replace both front cv axles. Sounds like this is where everyone else is pointing us to. Curious about a couple things -

1) the spark plugs - was that a real solution?
2) can you rebuild the axles or do we have to buy new?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator

No rebuild on the axles the cups holding the inner joints wear to much. They would have to be welded and then recut.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Talking Update

Glad this thread is helping others. Just want you to know that I just replaced a broken upper engine mount. Wonder if it has something to do with the vibrations from the bad right axle I had replaced. Anyways my advice to others with the vibration problem would be not to delay this repair and check for cracked mounts as well.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1127.jpg (95.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM

I will keep you posted guys, I have the same issue on my XC70, the local Volvo guy is at a loss, will have to take it to the stealership in the city.

I already replaced bushings, no improvement, but it was needed anyways.
Bent axle seems odd, I had that on my F250, but it had 560 Hp and was taken off road often, on a city car, I am not betting any money on that.

The Transmission fluid contamination makes more sense, I was thinking torque converter, and that would make sense.

Also when coming to a rolling stop at a yield, the tranny does not engage 1st gear right away, there is a clunk, this would seem a fluid issue to me as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Tags
240, 80, accelerating, acceleration, car, excessive, feel, gas, mph, s60, shakes, shaking, step, vibration, volvo