Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Default late reply but fixed the problem

I ended up replacing both front CV axles and that did the trick. Have to say it was a major expense since I couldn't find 3rd party axles and had to pay volvo over $1,200.00 for them. I also had to replace several motor mounts in the process. I have since traded in my Volvo XC90. Loved the car but WAY too expensive to fix. The final straw for me was the oil pan was leaking and the front wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Found out to replace the $7.00 leaking gasket I had to basically go through a process that would take 19 hours of labor and required a special part. Dealer wanted $2,500.00 to do it. The front bearings were going to cost me over $350 each. Several volvo mechanics advised to get rid of the car. They even stated most people don't fix the front axles when they go bad. Well good luck to all you Volvo owners - my advice is if it is out of warranty and something starts to shake - drop it and run away. I am a happy man with my new GMC Acadia. I will never own a out of warranty Volvo again...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Default Vibration when accelerating

Hello team Volvo!

I had the save issue with my 2002 S80 at or around 110k miles. Did all the usual balancing, rotating of tires, etc. But "the fix" was replacing both left and right CV axles. We're at 140k miles now and no vibration.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Wayne (aka 6pence)
Old 07-23-2011, 04:51 PM

I had similar symptoms as this thread. Its a 2001 S60, T2.4 with the turbo. It started shaking badly when accelerating above 50 or so, but only under load. I replaced the plugs as suggested here and they were old anyway, but it still shook. Drove a couple of miles and tried to get on it a little in spite of the shake, and it died. We came back home in some kind of limp mode at about 11mph, with the engine light saying "engine service urgent." We found that the air duct, to the turbo I think, shook loose at the front connection just behind the radiator. I just disconnected the battery to see if it will reset on its own. The bottom just fell out of the power when I stepped on it. I think it might be the cat, or something related, as the dealership just recommended replacing it. Just haven't done it yet.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 AM

So I've been experiencing the same symptoms in my 2001 V40 and have had I looked at by a couple shops (first a wheel shop and the a Volvo mechanic). Both pointed to an inner CV but one shop says left, the other says right. I'd prefer not to spend the $600+ to do both at once if not necessary and am trying to isolate which is the worse of the two.

The first (tire) shop explained when he accelerated through a right turn, taking some of the weight off the right wheel, the vibration went away suggesting that it was the right side causing the vibrations. I've since noticed when turning right at higher speeds (80KM) I get real bad shakes... The Volvo specialty shop, said they can see a little more play in the left side inner CV and are suggesting starting there, but said both prob should be replaced.

I'm wondering if there are any driving tests that can be done to try to isolate which side may be causing the vibration? I've paid very close attention to the feel of the car when driving and cant tell myself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cedric
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM

My issue turned out to be the driver's side CV axle. Put a rebuilt in it and it accelerates and cruises smooth as silk now.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM

This thread is still helping folks. Thanks.
my wife has an 04 S60 2.5 Turbo exhibiting the same problems. Engine shudder at higher speeds when you step on Gas. We had already replaced the motor mounts last year. She also hit a curb a few months ago and we replaced Both front control arms and ball joints.

Was leading me to believe my probs got to be CVs. 165,000 miles btw

Last edited by afishy1; 02-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Mine feels like it's motor related like maybe a mount is bad on the driver's side.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Tags
240, 80, accelerating, acceleration, car, excessive, feel, gas, mph, s60, shakes, shaking, step, vibration, volvo