Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shaking when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at 55/65 front end

Thanks everyone. Heading to mechanic. Very helpful info. Xc70 2004 114.000 miles

Old 10-10-2017, 03:27 PM

I am having the same problem on a 01 s40. Has any one bought a axle assemble from auto zone or napa parts??? what does everyone think

Old 04-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rudsaki
This thread has some lasting power!
I just bought a "beater" 2004 S60 AWD 150k miles with a litany of issues. This thread has given me good ideas on what to replace. Not sure if mine is rough at any certain speed...just rough all over! I have tore CV boots, inner on left, outer on right, so I'm starting there. Already removed the left one, removed it's boots and cleaned it up. It actually looks good, so going to grease and reboot that one.
Struts are original Volvo and worn out, so they will have to go. Upper engine mount is completely shot. Have not looked at lower ones, but will just get new ones. Will NOW check those subframe bushings!
Interesting about success with the Cardone axles. People on the Subaru side have trouble with them. Actually everything but new Subaru or rebuilt Subaru(what I got) have been trouble.
Well this is funny! Two and a half years later I still have this problem, just gave up on solving this the last year and a half, but back to it now and re-found this thread!
New tires with a road force balance solved over all roughness and made it smooth downhill, but kept vibration over 55mph on the flats and even worse going up hill.
Replaced all the struts and shocks, upper engine and lower tranny stabilizers, new Empi axle on the right, 90k Volvo axle on the left and IPD inserts in the front subframe bushings. None of this made any difference except the inserts making the ride harsh. Oh, did remove my AWD rear axle, but that did nothing, but give me 2 more mpg's.
Down to replacing the lower control arms and anything else looking bad in that area. Will take a look at the real engine mount too. I don't have classic LCA issues of it diving to the left or right on braking. Rough roads will really slam the front end though, like I have worn struts and no bump stops.
If I can ever solve this, I would be happy with this car. :-)

Old 02-10-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Delirious
O.K. tech and Johnny M. you were correct. In my case it turned out to be the right drive shaft. I first checked the left shaft for play, and found some play but very little on the inboard side only, outside had no play. After replacing it I test drove it for a short run and actually thought it was fixed but the shakes returned on the freeway the next day. Then I tore apart the right side and found little play in the joints but there also was more play in the inboard joint then there was in the outer joint. This time however after replacing the right shaft she drove smooth as silk at all speeds.
Thought I bring a closure to this case as it may help someone reading this thread.

Cheers!
thanks this massively helped it was on my Volvo s40 I had done the same thing . Bloody t5 power 🙄

Old 03-09-2020, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by twesp
I ended up replacing both front CV axles and that did the trick. Have to say it was a major expense since I couldn't find 3rd party axles and had to pay volvo over $1,200.00 for them. I also had to replace several motor mounts in the process. I have since traded in my Volvo XC90. Loved the car but WAY too expensive to fix. The final straw for me was the oil pan was leaking and the front wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Found out to replace the $7.00 leaking gasket I had to basically go through a process that would take 19 hours of labor and required a special part. Dealer wanted $2,500.00 to do it. The front bearings were going to cost me over $350 each. Several volvo mechanics advised to get rid of the car. They even stated most people don't fix the front axles when they go bad. Well good luck to all you Volvo owners - my advice is if it is out of warranty and something starts to shake - drop it and run away. I am a happy man with my new GMC Acadia. I will never own a out of warranty Volvo again...
yes I understand it does cost a little more to maintain but this is my first European car and I gotta say European is a million times better especially than general motors, hopefully I didnt just j I'll nx myself by saying that lol. But man I was so surprised when I actually got to look under the hood and find out all the safeguards they put in pl lace to help keep things from catastrophically failing, I'm positive my next car will be a volvo as well

Old 01-28-2023, 04:08 PM

Google brought me back here also with another issue. The shaking described here when accelerating is what my car is doing as well (2004 S60). It happens a tiny bit at accelerating but 60+ trying to accelerate, it's quite pronounced. The only added detail to mine is I notice the check engine light comes on when the shaking is at it's worst. It stays on for about 5-7 seconds, and then goes off. I also feel like when I'm pushing down the pedal and the shaking is bad, the car is incapable of gaining speed...almost like it's being held back. If I baby the car, I can get as high as 60 but that's when the problems really begin. Any thoughts/clues regarding the check engine light? It seems most comments here point toward the axles but I wasn't sure if the additional detail may be a clue for something else.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:23 PM

Need to get your codes checked from the light coming on. Shaking should not effect power, but bad running motor could give rough feeling.

The following users liked this post:
Bessarion (02-26-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 12:38 PM

I wanted to give an update. I got it checked out. It was ignition coil, and my spark plugs also needed replaced as well. The next time I started my car, the shaking was even while it was idle. All seems well now. $466.

The following users liked this post:
Bessarion (02-26-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just made an account to sa thank you! Had the same problem described here and got the front right axle/cv joints replaced (as the were kaput!) and it's like a new car!

The following 2 users liked this post by CrofterChops:
Bessarion (02-26-2023), pearjas (02-26-2023)