Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Spark Plugs

Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

Maybe im a noob... but I cant find my spark plugs and/or wires.... Help?

2004 Volvo s60 2.5T

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean you can't find them??? In the car, or like in a catalog looking for new ones?

If you looking for them in the car, Volvo conveniently hides them under the spark plug cover that runs across the top of the engine. Each plug has it's own coil attached to the top of it.

You may need to remove the Charge air pipe that runs across the top of the engine to get all the bolts holding the cover in place.

Last edited by Mad Matt; 06-22-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM

I feel like such an idiot... Thank you I will check that out tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks again

Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just did my V70 2.5t (same engine) and what you need is torx style sockets where the torx bit sticks out. Of course, two different sizes -- one for the spark plug cover and another to remove the torx head bolt that holds each coil in place. The wiring is hidden under that cover and once you remove the 8 or so fasteners, you'll see the spark plug wires.

I did the job with removing the turbo tube entirely, but I did have to remove the two torx head bolts holding it to the engine Used OEM plugs and it fired right up. Biggest pain the the rear was the plug underneath the turbo tube as there wasn't a lot of room for a wrench. Job woud probably go faster if the tube were removed.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 AM

A spark plug is an electrical device that fits into the cylinder head of some internal combustion engines and ignites compressed fuels such as aerosol, gasoline, ethanol, and liquefied petroleum gas by means of an electric spark.
Spark plugs have an insulated central electrode which is connected by a heavily insulated wire to an ignition coil or magneto circuit on the outside, forming, with a grounded terminal on the base of the plug, a spark gap inside the cylinder.Reciprocating internal combustion engines can be divided into spark-ignition engines, which require spark plugs to initiate combustion, and compression-ignition engines (diesel engines), which compress the air and then inject diesel fuel into the heated compressed air mixture where it autoignites.Spark plugs may also be used in other applications such as furnaces where a combustible mixture should be ignited. In this case, they are sometimes referred to as flame igniters.