Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Swaped DIM now I have srs airbag service urgent

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaped DIM now I have srs airbag service urgent

I swapped out a faulty DIM with a used DIM that I bought on ebay for my 2003 Volvo S60. The ad said the donor car was involved in an accident. After installing the new DIM, I now have an error message that says "srs airbag service urgent".

My question is this error stored in the DIM and it just needs to be reset by the dealer/repair shop? Or did I mess something up while installing the new DIM because this error is outside/un-related of the DIM.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's because you disconnected the DIM while the key was in contact or battery connected. need the dealer to clear the message with software only.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You can't just swap DIMs. They are programmed to the car

Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM

I guess I have been lucky. The DIM was swapped from another car that was the same year, make and model. Part numbers were the same on the DIM sticker. With the exception of the SRS Airbag Service warning message, the DIM is working great. I will check into getting the SRS code cleared.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's still programmed to the car. The CEM will set codes for it and odometer manipulation.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
It's still programmed to the car.
Not to the car but to it's network configuration so DIM from another car of the same configuration works fine.
Originally Posted by ES6T
The CEM will set codes for it and odometer manipulation.
Yea but after clearing them they wont appear again.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 AM

If you remove the DIM or sometimes the Stereo system you get this error message.

I had my DIM repaired about 8 months ago. I still have that error message on my dash. I probably should get it cleared but I think the dealer wanted like $95 so I said f' it.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Default Job is done

Looked into the cost to have the dealer clear the srs warning light and found that I could buy a low end scanner for srs airbags for about 50% more. After a quick market survey I bought a Autel AL619 which reads and clears ABS and SRS dtc.

Hooked up the meter and found the error code and cleared the warning message.

Good news is my car is in full operating order with the DIM working great. Bad news is that I found a brake pedal position sensor error in the abs computer -- something else to fix.

Thank you to everyone who provided advice.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM

That's good info about this device. Can I ask what did you do about the displayed miles on the new DIM? I put a used DIM in my car, but it shows more miles than my car has.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by oragex
That's good info about this device. Can I ask what did you do about the displayed miles on the new DIM? I put a used DIM in my car, but it shows more miles than my car has.
From everything I have heard, is that you are suppose to have your original DIM repaired I think there is sticky thread on this. Otherwise you have to have someone clone the info off the original one onto the replacement.

I am actually surprised that the used DIM worked. From everything I had ever heard in the past if you got a used DIM and it was not Cloned and you put it in. It would not work.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by stop_at_willoughby
From everything I have heard, is that you are suppose to have your original DIM repaired I think there is sticky thread on this. Otherwise you have to have someone clone the info off the original one onto the replacement.

I am actually surprised that the used DIM worked. From everything I had ever heard in the past if you got a used DIM and it was not Cloned and you put it in. It would not work.

Actually, I tried to repair mine and messed up, got stuck to get a used one... with 100k more miles than my car which is not good news if I want to sell it one day (I only have 100k miles on it).

As for the instrument cluster, there is confusing information about installing a used one. I think it's Volvo that wants to make us buy a fresh one. Strangely, there is a Ebay seller that repairs our DIM for a fee, and he also says on his site that just swapping DIM's the car won't start.

Truth is, it only has to match all of the numbers on the sticker on the side of the cluster. I put one from a XC70 on my S60 and works without problems. Strangely, when I installed it first, it didn't work. I let it in the car for a few minutes with the engine off, then it started working. So the car must be taking a few minutes do do some reset of some sort.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:34 PM

The DIM shows the mileage from the donor car. I had just turned 150,000 miles and the new DIM show a little over 193,000 miles. The car is my commuter car, so I plan to run the car into the ground. If I do sell it the buyer can accept my word that the car has 43,000 less miles on or just accept it as a high mileage car.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 AM

Actually, I tried to repair mine and messed up, got stuck to get a used one... with 100k more miles than my car which is not good news if I want to sell it one day (I only have 100k miles on it).

As for the instrument cluster, there is confusing information about installing a used one. I think it's Volvo that wants to make us buy a fresh one. Strangely, there is a Ebay seller that repairs our DIM for a fee, and he also says on his site that just swapping DIM's the car won't start.

Truth is, it only has to match all of the numbers on the sticker on the side of the cluster. I put one from a XC70 on my S60 and works without problems. Strangely, when I installed it first, it didn't work. I let it in the car for a few minutes with the engine off, then it started working. So the car must be taking a few minutes do do some reset of some sort.
Yea, I had mine fixed from someone on eBay. I do believe I read the same thing. It does makes me wonder why some shyster wouldn't buy a DIM from a donor car that had less mileage if they are are trying to resell. I am pretty shocked it actually worked. I think you might just be stuck with it unfortunately.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mileage can be corrected. f.e. by transferring software from original dash.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by doublebug
mileage can be corrected. f.e. by transferring software from original dash.

I'm not sure my original dash is good any long.. I've tried refluxing the chips and it's pretty messed up with legs being soldered together. Do you know how this software transfer is done? Is it just removing a chip and soldering it to the new DIM?

Agree with you stop_at_willoughby.