Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Switch to synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch to synthetic oil?

Hi all, here is my question.

I have a 2009 S60 2.5T that I bought brand new. Currently have 2,800 miles.

When I hit 3,000 miles I was considering doing my first oil change and switching over to full synthetic oil. So my questions are:

1. Is 3,000 miles too soon to do the first change and make the switch to synthetic? If so, when should I do it? I was planning on doing this first early oil change and then following the recommended intervals after that using full synthetic oil.

2. Is the switch to synthetic even worth it? Some people tell me yes because the car has a turbo that may be cooled better by synthetic oil. I don't even know if the oil lubricates the turbo on the 2.5T.

3. Any other recommendations related to oil changes and synthetic oil?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM

Not too early.

yes it is worth it - Mobile One or GERMAN (not the US garbage) Castrol Synthetic (the US is BLENDED Synthetic - look carefully at the label and it will tell you which it is)

3. Mobile one every 5k and you will be good.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual calls for 7,500. If you use full synthetic I would think you could keep to the recommended maintenance schedule. I use Pennzoil Platinum.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bearings in a turbo (essentially located between the "hot" exhaust impeller side and the "cooler" intake side run hot -- its their nature. And while I can't speak for your newer model, my 06 V70 cautions in the manual to let it run before shuttting it off to let the oil cool the turbo. I suspect your's has some sort of similar information in it telling you its oil cooled.

Synthetic oils handle heat better than conventional oils -- they don't "cook" as much. So hot spots don't cook any oil. 1980's turbos (pre syn oil) were
notorious cookers whose bearings seized and trashed the turbo (see Chryslers for good example). You spend a little, but can save a lot. If you're gentle and rarely use the turbo, you can get by on regular oils, especially if you reduce the change interval (i.e. 3.5K) and do let it idle after running. Some do both, but I suspect they are the "lead foots" of this group.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say definitely worth it to go with synthetic, the extra cost will protect that engine and turbo so much better than any conventional oil could..
I would go Mobil1 or Castrol Edge but any synth is better than conventional..

Regards oil change intervals, I would not go anywhere even close to the reccomended 7500... On the s80 forum we usually agree that 5000miles is a nice change interval for naturally aspirated, an 3500 for turbo...

Lastly, just stick with the OEM filters, and you will be good to go...
I personally put a magnetic oil drain plug just to see what metal chunks go around in my oil, just for that little extra protection...

Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 PM

There is such thing as too frequent oil changes - 3500 is getting into that territory.

7500 is fine for N/A - 5000 is right on the nose for turbo.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes on full synthetic. 5K for interval should be fine unless you run your Volvo like a dog.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
I would say definitely worth it to go with synthetic, the extra cost will protect that engine and turbo so much better than any conventional oil could..
I would go Mobil1 or Castrol Edge but any synth is better than conventional..

Regards oil change intervals, I would not go anywhere even close to the reccomended 7500... On the s80 forum we usually agree that 5000miles is a nice change interval for naturally aspirated, an 3500 for turbo...

Lastly, just stick with the OEM filters, and you will be good to go...
I personally put a magnetic oil drain plug just to see what metal chunks go around in my oil, just for that little extra protection...
+1 on all the above.........No such thing as too frequent oil changes. I personally do 3500-4K on Oil changes on my Turbo 850. You don't have to do that low of an interval but 4500 Is also good....

Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 PM

why would you do them that frequently - there is no way that the oil quality is breaking down like that.

I have done oil analysis at 5k a number of times and they all tell me that I can go at least another 2500.

do an oil analysis, saves lots of money in the long run

Old 11-04-2009, 06:57 AM

Thank you all for the great information!

Looks like I will be switching to synthetic, that seems to be the consensus.

My 2009 came with 5 years/60k miles maintenance from Volvo. Oil changes only include conventional oil, however, the service manager says that I can upgrade to synthetic buy only paying the additional oil cost. They will likely milk me for it though. As well, I bet that they use Castrol Syntec.

Volvo will only cover an oil change every 7,500 miles under this included maintenance. I'll have to think about slipping another one in at the middle of the interval. It seems that some posters think this is a good idea, others think it may be unnecessary. Decisions decisions.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM

my suggestion would be to take your own mobile one with you - a case is like 25 bucks at autozone. def would be less than they would charge you for synthetic and you know you are getting the good stuff.

and yes, 7500 is too much. Bargain with them and tell them since you are supplying oil you want one every 5k. Its a car dealership, they were born to bargain.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree on the mobil (NO E) 1 ... Cheapest place is usually at Wallymart ($22 for 5qt's) ...

See if they will be willing to do it for you... That said, dealerships and all oil change places as a matter of fact charge ridiculous amounts for synth, such as 3x or 4x even the price of a regular oil change..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by peterjax
Thank you all for the great information!

Looks like I will be switching to synthetic, that seems to be the consensus.

My 2009 came with 5 years/60k miles maintenance from Volvo. Oil changes only include conventional oil, however, the service manager says that I can upgrade to synthetic buy only paying the additional oil cost. They will likely milk me for it though. As well, I bet that they use Castrol Syntec.

Volvo will only cover an oil change every 7,500 miles under this included maintenance. I'll have to think about slipping another one in at the middle of the interval. It seems that some posters think this is a good idea, others think it may be unnecessary. Decisions decisions.

Thanks again everyone!
Same situation here on my 2009 S40, I had the oil changed at my independent mechanic with synthetic at about 4K. Would like to stick with the 7500 mile intervals if possible...the synthetic oil cost was about twice as much as conventional which made for an expensive oil change.

Good thing about getting the change done was that the mechanic identified a problem (leaking angle gear) which I then got fixed at the dealer.

Does it really matter which brand of oil?

Regarding what others say about bringing your own oil...I can certainly ask at the time of my 7500 service but would dealers really be OK with this?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM

yes - brand definitely matters.

Mobile one or Castrol Synthetic German ONLY

If your dealer is not ok with this then you need to find a new dealer.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by hammer1234
Does it really matter which brand of oil?
Regarding what others say about bringing your own oil...I can certainly ask at the time of my 7500 service but would dealers really be OK with this?
Brand does matter, but do your homework... I used Castrol Synthec for the longest time and just now changed to Lucas Oil. Seems to be good and the shop I go to charges like very little.. As far as taking your own oil to a shop. You certainly can do that but some dealers don't like doing that ONLY for liability reasons. I used to work at one and we didn't do that because we had a client that had engine problems and when it was time with warranty work it was declined. We blamed it on her interval of oil changes being too long. She then tried blaming it on us and we threw it back at her. Long story short, we ended up eating that service ticket but decided "lialbility wise" not to do oil changes with peoples own oil........I would say, shop around different shop and she whom has what and at what price.. If the price of the oil change is a big issue to you then maybe you learn to wrench your oil change. It's def. Not hard to do. Personally I don't like to deal with it and just have it done....Good Luck!