Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default Timing Belt Precautions!!

I am writing this post because there has kind of been a little debate lately about timing belts and the service intervals.[/align]The post is to show why the timing belt should really be changed at about 70,000 miles instead of 105,000 like Volvo says it should be.[/align]Also Make sure you replace the tensioner and idler pulleys as well.[/align]I have some pics of belts I have replaced at work on cars.[/align]I have the belts from a few of the different models the milage will vary between 70K and 80K. You will see how the belts crack at that milage. [/align]I would not trust the belts like that on my own car. That's why I am making this post so that everyone is informed about the belts and what can happen if they break.[/align][/align]I know not everyone has the money always to get the job done. I know how it is I have 4 kids and very little money. But the point I am trying to make is that it is better to pay between $700.00 to $800.00 or so. Rather than having to Junk the car or pay over $3000.00 to get the head rebuilt or replaced. Or maybe even more to have a new motor installed.[/align][/align]I have my own theory on why they go bad faster on the 1999 and newer cars than on the older cars.[/align][/align]I think it is because of how the timing covers are made.[/align]The older cars all the heat that gets to the timing belt only comes from the front of the motor.[/align][/align]The 1999 and newer cars the timing cover are different because of having the VVT valve in the cam cover. That allows all the heat from the top of the motor to access the timing belt and add more heat to that area causing the belt to go bad faster.[/align][/align]On the 1993 to 1998 5 cylinders and 1994 to 1998 6 cylinders the timing belts could last a lot long but I wouldn't trust them either.[/align]But that's my theory.[/align][/align]Now onto the pictures the first batch will be the timing belt pictures with the model,year and milage that they were changed.[/align]Then the last batch of pictures will be an idler and tensioner pulley from a S80.(Not as bad as I wanted for an example picture but will work.[/align]Then finally a picture of an engine that had the belt break.[/align][/align]This way everyone has an Idea of the entire situation.[/align]Then you can make your own decisions from here.[/align][/align]The first belt is from a 2000 S80 with 72,623 miles[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]The second belt is from a 2003 S40 with 73,746 miles[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]The last one is from a 2001 V70 with 82,700 miles[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align][/align]Here is a tensioner if you look closely in one spot you will see where grease started coming out of the bearing.[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align][/align]Here is the idler same here both sides were spinning grease out.[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]If your serpentine belt looks like this replace it I have seen them break as well and get sucked into the engine and break the timing belt as well.[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align][/align]So there is my post the pics might not be the best but should help some.[/align]
Sorry here are the pics of the head and block.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Timing Belt Precautions!!

Thanks Tech. My S60 has 77K on it. I'm going to order the pieces from FCP and have it installed soon.

2007 Mercedes C230 Sport Mars Red
2007 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2003 Saab 9-3
1996 Chevy Tahoe
2000 Ranger R83 Bass Boat
Old 12-02-2007, 07:44 PM

I did mine today. Belt, tensioner and idler. It is an easy job, about 2.5 hours on garage floor. You do need an impact gun and a gear puller to get the balancer off.
Hardest part is gettting the accessory belt back on.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2002v70

I did mine today. Belt, tensioner and idler. It is an easy job, about 2.5 hours on garage floor. You do need an impact gun and a gear puller to get the balancer off.
Hardest part is gettting the accessory belt back on.
Note for next time once the crank pulley nut is off. Hit the pulley with a heavy rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer sealed in rubber and it will come loose.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 AM

Has anybody seen the timing belt kits that are available on e-bay for between $110 - $140? Are these kits the same quality that you would get if you had a certified volvo shop do the timing belt? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

If it is a Conti belt you should be fine.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 AM

The kit from FCP on Ebay(auction # 280192964637) are all first rate parts. Conti belt with oem or at least German tensioner and idler.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM

In addition to a ' 99 S80, we also have an '01 S60 with 98,000 miles. A week ago, we heard a high pitch whining sound and the engine began to rough idle and even cut out a couple of times. We took the car in for service (Volvo repair shop) and they indicated that the Mass Air Flow Meter needed to be changed, plus they cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket. Now a week later, we are getting the same high pitch whining sound, rough idle and engine cut out a couple times. During the recent service call, they checked the belts.

Could this be a timing belt issue? And, should they change the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys? The car had been rough idling before but we attributed some of this to minor problems that we began to experience after the dealer upgraded the throttle body software but not the hardware. Even our Volvo repair shop, who works closely with a local Volvo dealer, indicated that the hardware should be replaced under the recall.

My '99 S80 was experiencing rough idle prior to the timing belt recently being replaced. Is it standard for the mechanics to check the tensioner and idler pulleys? I now am having them replace the transmission for several thousand dollars.

We love both cars, but the problems seem to be getting worse.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

I would have the pulleys looked at closely.
If there is grease coming out of them have them replaced.
Does the noise only happen first thing in the morning or after teh car has been sitting for a long time?
Then go away when it warms up?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM

The noise only happens after the car is driven for about 30+ miles after sitting either overnight or for a couple of hours or more. We have no trouble with running the car in the morning nor for short trips less than 30 miles. Once we get past 25 to 30 miles, the high whining sound starts and the car begins to experience rough idling and, on occasion, will actually stall when we stop at a light.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Tags
2001, 2002, belt, box, breaks, breather, changing, engine, high, noise, penta, pitch, replace, replaced, s60, service, stalls, timing, volvo, xc