Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Need some advice on $2,600 estimate from dealer....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on $2,600 estimate from dealer....

...I can only imagine the scene: an older, very nicely dressed lady walks into repair shop of a prominent Volvo dealership, and the manager's eyes light up with dollar signs!!! cha-ching!

Let me explain: My mother-in-law owns an '02 s60 that was purchased for her as a Christmas gift in '01 from her boyfriend. He's gone, but kept the car....and many agreed it was a good trade.

Anyway, she drives the car, at most, six miles each and every week day, with one or two 100 mile trips per year to pick up her cousin who's a nun. She rarely goes over 40 miles per hour except for those one or two "sister" trips.

No accidents
Nothing major has gone wrong
No 360's in the snow or ice
No mud-sledding down the hills and dales of South East PA.
Approx. 42000 miles
Well maintained, not by Volvo, but local mechanics

I have driven the car a few times and don't see anything wrong with what dealer is claiming, so here's the list:

Upper engine torque Mount broken $235
Timing belt original and cracking $800
Rec. coolant flush discolored $170
Front sway bar links have play $225
Oil leaking - turbo return pipe (didn't know the car has turbo?!) $150
Front control arm bushing separating $700
Four wheel alignment $120
Rear sway bar links have play $190

I do understand that eventually these items will wear out, but would be very surprised to learn they would on a vehicle with less than 45k, driven by a little old Irish lady from SE PA!

Any advice or comments are welcome. If these items need to be repaired or replaced, please let me know which are most important to get done immediately, and which can wait.

Thank you in advance for reading and responding. I hate when someone is thought of as easy prey to grab a couple extra bucks.

Thanks,

Drew

Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

I imagine most of these recommendations are typical dealership rubbish. I would take it to a respected independent shop, show them the list, and see what they say. Only thing that is a priority is the timing belt -- even if it is not cracked, it is almost 10 years old and if that snaps, your engine will essentially destroy itself in about 5 seconds. No matter what, get the belt changed.

It's not on the list, but I'd do a flush of the transmission system -- 2002 S60's transmissions are notorious for failure if not maintained. Probably will cost around $300, or you can do it yourself for about $120.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 PM

I agree about the timing belt, rubber belts age.
Alignment is never a horrible idea, but not a necessity unless it's noticeable.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM

The listed repairs are normal wear and tear items over time. I'm surprised they didn't mention new shocks. But I don't see them needing to be done at this point and time.
The coolant should be flushed and changed and perhaps the brake fluid. I wouldn't be concerned with the other items even considering the timing belt and it's age.
Just my 2€

Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM

I would think if you can find a reputable independent volvo mechanic that your estimate will easily be cut in half. My understanding is that a timing belt can be done for $300-400. It is about a 2.5 - 3 hour job. Also, you may ask how much more it is to replace the water pump as it is easily accessible & replaced when the timing belt is replaced. I personally would do it but I do all my own repairs.

Those quotes on the anti-sway links is just stupid IMO. For reference, you can find a pair aftermarket links for the rear or front for $60. Moog (superior to OEM) pairs for front or rear can be bought for about $100. Those front and rear links should take maybe an hour to replace. Did they provide an hourly labor estimate?

Radiator flush is another rip off.

4-wheel alignment seems reasonable so there is something positive here!

I do agree the you should replace the timing belt soon. THe control bushing can wait but could impact ride quality. If it feels fine to you.....leave it.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the items listed are items that will degrade with age.
But hey, if you think it's a great idea to roll the dice on timing belts and coolant, I eagerly await your "damn unreliable Volvo POS" thread in 12 months, when the cooling system fails and the head needs new valves.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 AM

All of the listed services are priced on par with dealer pricing. In Bucks county/outer philly area there are any number of GOOD Volvo independants (JRL,Teppers Auto in Devon/West Chester) is the first that comes to mind. Get the timing belt done NOW (mileage does not matter if it is cracking I would not drive the car AT ALL. Get the the radiator flush done NOW, (Volvo Coolant) it is only a rip off until you blow a head gasket or something else inportant goes, because it was niglected. As for the rest it all sounds about right for a ten year old car, replace as time/money allows.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Volvos rock
All of the listed services are priced on par with dealer pricing. In Bucks county/outer philly area there are any number of GOOD Volvo independants (JRL,Teppers Auto in Devon/West Chester) is the first that comes to mind. Get the timing belt done NOW (mileage does not matter if it is cracking I would not drive the car AT ALL. Get the the radiator flush done NOW, (Volvo Coolant) it is only a rip off until you blow a head gasket or something else inportant goes, because it was niglected. As for the rest it all sounds about right for a ten year old car, replace as time/money allows.
I completely agreed. Didn't intend to me that a radiator flush is a bad investment. Just saying this is really a very routine thing that most any auto shop (Volvo or not) can easily handle for you for much cheaper. That's an easy one. Also, most any shop can handle replacement of the links. Easy jobs on both. So I would not neccesarily go specialized on those.

Your timing belt is a ticking time bomb although I'm curious how they determined that it was cracking?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my responses in bold.

Originally Posted by afmemolo
...I can only imagine the scene: an older, very nicely dressed lady walks into repair shop of a prominent Volvo dealership, and the manager's eyes light up with dollar signs!!! cha-ching!

Let me explain: My mother-in-law owns an '02 s60 that was purchased for her as a Christmas gift in '01 from her boyfriend. He's gone, but kept the car....and many agreed it was a good trade.

Anyway, she drives the car, at most, six miles each and every week day, with one or two 100 mile trips per year to pick up her cousin who's a nun. She rarely goes over 40 miles per hour except for those one or two "sister" trips.

No accidents
Nothing major has gone wrong
No 360's in the snow or ice
No mud-sledding down the hills and dales of South East PA.
Approx. 42000 miles
Well maintained, not by Volvo, but local mechanics
Have her regular mechanics do the jobs that need done.

I have driven the car a few times and don't see anything wrong with what dealer is claiming, so here's the list:
Most of the things that are needing replacing are really not that big of a deal and the only signs you'll probably notice (not driving it daily) is some squeaks (bushings), clicking noises (endlinks).

Upper engine torque Mount broken $235 $68
Upper Engine Stabilizer Mount & Bracket
Even cheaper if you only need the ROUND mount

Timing belt original and cracking $800
Do This! You might be able to have an indie mechanic do it cheaper.

Do This! You might be able to have an indie mechanic do it cheaper.

Front sway bar links have play $225 $59ea
Front Swaybar End Link

Oil leaking - turbo return pipe (didn't know the car has turbo?!) $150
I really doubt the pipe is leaking, but more then likely it's just in need of a new seal. Have them show you the leak if they insist.
Turbo Drain Pipe Seal Kit $8

Front control arm bushing separating $700 $117.84ea
Lot's cheaper to replace the whole control arm it's self.
TascaParts.com

Really not that bad of a price for a 4 wheel alignment.

Rear sway bar links have play $190 $60
Rear Sway Bar End Link

I do understand that eventually these items will wear out, but would be very surprised to learn they would on a vehicle with less than 45k, driven by a little old Irish lady from SE PA!
That parts mentioned are all wear parts that will degrade over time as well as miles. The rubber mounts especially.

Any advice or comments are welcome. If these items need to be repaired or replaced, please let me know which are most important to get done immediately, and which can wait.

Timing belt ASAP, next do the colant flush, then the Oil leek. After that it's just comfort and to get rid of any rattling.

Thank you in advance for reading and responding. I hate when someone is thought of as easy prey to grab a couple extra bucks.

For the most part that's right along the lines of the dealer prices. Any time anybody goes to the dealer they'll point out everything that can be fixed and usually will make it seam more necessary then it is.

Thanks,

Drew

Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 PM

Thank you everyone for the quick and great replies. I know the timeing belt and coolant are the extreamly important, my parents owned several service stations and am quite familiar with necessity repairs and blown head gaskets. What blew me away were the "wear-and-tear" items on a vehicle with very low milage. This is the first Volvo I have dealt with, mostly Lincoln, Caddy and assorted Ford Mustangs. I wanted to get unbiased expert opinions on most of the list, and I thank you all for help, and a special thanks to Mad Matt for an itemized response which I'll take with me to the mechanic.

Thank you again, Drew

Old 06-26-2011, 02:27 AM

Just so you don't feel alone...

My dealer quoted me on over $6,000 worth of "broken" parts on my well maintained '03 S60.

After about 2-3 months, I've fixed over $3,000 worth of things myself for about $500 in total using mostly Volvo and some aftermarket parts. Car seems to be doing fine!

Alex

Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Let us know what your mechanic says. I'm very curious about this one as we all have to go through this at some point.

All your bushings should be just fine. They slowly degrade over time but should not be disengrating by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 AM

UPDATE*****

Took the S60 to a local mechanic who took care of the timing belt for a whopping $325. Should have given him at least half of dealer's estimate! But the shop will get ALL of our business from now on.

His comments on the rest of the list;

Timing belt original and cracking - COMPLETED $325

Upper engine torque mount broken $235
Oil leaking - turbo return pipe $150
engine mount is broken, return pipe "O" ring is worn - (high-end) ESTIMATE FOR BOTH $250

"someone used orange colored coolant, nothing wrong here"

Front control arm bushing separating $700
his comment, not mine: "show me a car where the bushings aren't worn"

Front sway bar links have play $225
Rear sway bar links have play $190
again mechanic's comment: "is you don't notice a significant change in ride, leave alone"

Brakes, tires, etc. ALL in good condition with plenty wear left.

Dropping the S60 off with this shop again in a couple weeks for "O" ring and engine mount. Afer that, it'll be the rest of our fleet for some trustworthy recommended upgrades and repairs.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was well appreciated.

D