Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Default Volvo misfire on cylinder 1 !!!

I have a 2001 Volvo C70 2.3 Turbo HP

Warranty ended about a year ago =( Had the turbo, ECU, injectors, Head and more replaced while still under warranty.

Okay so i have an intermittent misfire on cylinder #1, Started a couple months ago. Idle is a little bouncy, nothing dramatic. When you reset the computer and give it gas sometimes it pulls amazing without a problem at all, other times it it will cut out like crazy and CEL flashes and then P0301 shows up.

-I just replaced the plugs, triple checked gap and keep checking for any plug faults.
-I took the fuel rail off and cleaned and swap injectors around.
-I have swap coil packs around and checked for any arcing on the boots
-I have ran completely new wires from the ECU pin to #1 injector and #1 coil pack.
-I have Alldata and have checked and checked for any clues

My next guess would be ECU problem or compression but would that explain how it comes and goes. If i reset the ECU it runs perfect for about 2 minutes sometimes. Switching coil packs and injectors around still left me with the P0301 Cylinder #1 Code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Thank you guys!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
2002 Volvo S60

it may be helpful to change all coil packs and spark plugs. another poster had a similar problem and replacing all coils and plugs did the trick
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 PM

All the plugs have been replaced and still brand new. 2 weeks old tops.

And replacing all the coil packs? sounds exspensive =(
Old 02-03-2012, 06:21 PM

A vacuum leak can cause a lean condition in that cylinder. A weak cylinder will show as a misfire.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Have you done a compression test yet?
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 PM
2000 Volvo S70

unless you overheated, have white smoke in the exhaust, or water in the oil don't bother with compression check, its a waste of time.

make sure you got NGK plugs (they are pre-gapped do not adjust them)

75% of the time that is the problem for intermittent misfires. (people with Bosch plugs in there Volvos)

the other 24% is you looked at the coil wrong and you killed it. -- no really, it happens a lot, watching it idle, watching data values, and all of a sudden one dies. Heat eventually kills them.

the 1% is the odd ball stuff you find sometimes like a vac hose, or low battery voltage, and so on.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Administrator

I have seen over 20 cars with burnt valves causing low compression in one cylinder.
That causes a misfire.
It is actually a very common issue down here in FLA.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
2000 Volvo S70

then in that case an intake cleaning would be in order. You can do a compression check, but more than likely there won't be any found issues. Intake cleaning helps a lot of things. BG products BBK while using a air atomizer through the TB will help any car run better,
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 AM
2000 Volvo S70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech View Post
I have seen over 20 cars with burnt valves causing low compression in one cylinder.
That causes a misfire.
It is actually a very common issue down here in FLA.
interesting you mention burnt valves here. my experience is that the older model cars and trucks experience that problem, like pre-1995. here in Virginia it is a rarity. Perhaps climate.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
interesting you mention burnt valves here. my experience is that the older model cars and trucks experience that problem, like pre-1995. here in Virginia it is a rarity. Perhaps climate.
Perhaps it is.
We started to see the amount if then raise when the gas prices did. Alot of the customers it happened to admitted to going to regular unleaded gas when the prices went up. I also think the ethanol gas has a part in it as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Tags
2001, c70, cilinder, compression, cylinder, cylinders, head, low, misfire, misfiring, numbers, order, problem, s60, volvo