Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Volvo vs. Audi in Maintenance

Hello All, Ihave a 2004 Audi A6 S-Line, but I always wanted a Volvo, I got talked out of a 2004 S60 R,it did have some problem tho. Are Volvo's and Audi'smaintenance cost about the same? It so, I will be trading the Audi in for a Volvo.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Volvo vs. Audi in Maintenance

Having owned an S4 and dropping US$5K for blown turbos for no reason at 80K miles (post-warranty) I went back to Volvo in a hurry. Yes, Volvos are cheaper to maintain and much much cheaper to fix. However, you have accept the fact that Volvo is not a German car.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM

I've been reading about the turbos in the Audi's, my car has the 2.7 engine that the S4's had. I had the car for 5 month and I'm questioning myself everyday. How are the turbos in the Volvos?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 AM

The turbos in Volvos are known, according to indy mechanics I've talked to, to be rock-solid. In fact over the holiday I was talking with a mechanic that was reccomended to me and he said that Volvo has got tuning a turbo engine down to an art. he said they used to put strain on the engine, but not anymore, and that todays LPT and HPT turbos will usually outlast many of the other engine parts.

The fact is, though, that you are going to lose a little drive quality. The R handles fine, with it's adapative suspension and all, but it's FWD or AWD. Coming from RWD German sedans before I bought my S60, I was used to things like near zero body roll, and near perfect f/r weight distribution. You won't get that in an S60. But you will get a number of other great features. A wonderful interior. A wonderful powertain. Brilliant seats. Incredible safety features.

It's a trade-off, but one I'm happy with. I've only owned my S60 for 6 months, but I've gotta say, they got me. Volvo. For Life.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
1999 Volvo S70

Volvo's are not cheap to maintain. Don't even think they are, because your dead wrong.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: S70driver

Volvo's are not cheap to maintain. Don't even think they are, because your dead wrong.

I know they're not cheap to maintain, I was asking if the cost was about the same asmy Audi,basically which one cost the most to maintain because I'm going for the cheaper oneout of the two.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that there is going to be a huge difference in the cost. Labor is the same pretty much no matter where you get the work done and import parts are always more expensive. The only variable is the amount of parts that wear out.

2007 Mercedes C230 Sport Mars Red
2007 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2003 Saab 9-3
1996 Chevy Tahoe
2000 Ranger R83 Bass Boat
Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 AM

I disagree. Audi, BMW and Mercedes are in a class to themselves in terms of maintenance and repair costs. My neighbor has an A4 and he tells me that the standard oil change (albeit syntheic) goes for $120 at the dealership. Of course, you do get free cookies

Volvos are more expensive to repair than domestics. But compared to the big-3 german brands, it's going to be lighter on your wallet.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: LoveMyS60

I disagree. Audi, BMW and Mercedes are in a class to themselves in terms of maintenance and repair costs. My neighbor has an A4 and he tells me that the standard oil change (albeit syntheic) goes for $120 at the dealership. Of course, you do get free cookies

Volvos are more expensive to repair than domestics. But compared to the big-3 german brands, it's going to be lighter on your wallet.
Your neighbor is right, in my A6, the dealer charge $130 for a oil change, thats what I'm trying to get away from. I always loved Volvo's since the 850's and think Volvo's are under rated in some areas. I'm going to trade my Audi in for a Volvo anyway, but on a scale, how dose Volvo match up against the big 3 German brands, meaning value,mainly Audi because I think there lower then BMW and Benz.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

I've owned at least one Volvo since 1985 and now own three of them and nothing else. When you used the work "Value"that's what I think you get with a Volvo. Way more value for your money, and they do not cost as much to maintain as the quote "Big 3" European cars. My in laws have ownedfour Saabs, two BMW's and two Mercedes after they owned an 83 Volvo. They ended up with another Volvo after trying the other ones. I have no experience with Audi though, but I do like the looks of them and have considered one at some point, but I just keep buying Volvo's. I really like the 850 R's best though. My choice on the newer ones is either a V70 or S60, but always an R. My oldest daughter has a 99 S80 T6, my son has a 98 V70 R and my youngest daughter has a 95 850 Turbo wagon. We are a Volvo family.
03 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 - Wife likes it better than the other cars so she drives it.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM

Tags
a6, audi, bmw, canada, cheapest, cost, expensive, forums, maintain, maintenance, repair, versus, volvo, vs, vsvolvo